C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 99 FRC project! Going front mount turbo

Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 AM
nemean
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 99 FRC project! Going front mount turbo

What's going on fellas!

So, let me tell you a little bit about the car. It's a bit of a dog... 172k miles, needs paint...

BUT- It went 12.6 at 117 with nothing but an LS6 intake and a CAI... So I'd say it's pretty strong.

So, A few months ago I put the LT1-S clutch by monster in the car. If you're unfamiliar with the setup, it's a billet adapter flywheel what allows us LSX guys to run the new LT1 twin disc. The reason I went with this clutch is 1) I've seen videos of a LS1 GTO pulling a 1.5 60ft with it, and 2) I can go through my stepfather (master GM tech) and pay like 330 dollars for another twin setup.

Okay, so I also did long tubes and 150 shot. Got an 11.8 at 124. The MPH was pretty unimpressive, so I figured there was something wrong.

Well at the end of that run, The car refused to idle... also had to be push started with a car to get it to even crank back up. (had to get it to 20mph ish) no drop in power through the run, no backfires, no real issues... just didn't want to crank up on its own or idle. upon inspection, it pushed a lot of oil through the PCV system...

So a week later after letting it sit in my shop, it started right up and idled fine.. It took it a few seconds on the starter to get it to finally kick over on its own, but it fired right up every time I tried after that first go.... Ran a basic compression test, got 120psi on all 8 cylinders +/- 1.5 lbs either way. That's a low number, but I'd call that a guage issue, and felt better about the consistency.

So here where we get to the current status of the car... I pulled the heads a yesterday and to my surprise, no scaring on the block at all ( thought I hurt a ring) and the head gaskets were good!...

So where I sit now is I have some LS9 Head gaskets on the way, and a set of cleaned up 317s sitting on the bench awaiting parts to come in.

SO............ (sorry this might seem jumbled, I'm trying to get it all out to avoid random questions)

Some of my questions-

This is a budget build... I'm really only tackling this because I have a tig welder and the ability to... I had a lot of spare stuff sitting around and hated my HCI camaro for driving in any kind of traffic...

1) Is there a cheap factory option boost cam... I know the LS9 is pretty good, but by the time you get the 05 LS2 cover and kit for the 3 bolt cam... You've bought a comp cam from comp cam... So is there a single bolt cam that is cheap and decent for boost. I'm shooting for 600whp, because I'm really not looking to break the hell out of this car. It's goal is to be a fun street / highway car.

2) are LS7 lifters still the best route for us.. I haven't seen much on if LS3s use a different/ better lifter, but I'll be ordering those soon too..

3) Why the hell did GM make the bracket to the alternater / power steering pump such a PITA!!!!!!!!

4) Is ECS' alternator reloaction the only kit out there to move the alternator? If so... I'm just going to build my own, because I don't think it's availible anymore.

I truely plan on relocating the alternator to where the AC compressor sits. The cars AC was broken, and I've removed all of the components... I have 4 cars... 2 of them have AC, 2 of them are play toys. I'm sure you can guess which one this FRC is...

5) Any front mount builds like what I'm going for have had a "custom" radiator that they pushed forward... any chance there's a part or brand theyre going with? I never see what the radiator is in the build.

6) This car isn't going through turns at any kind of hellish speeds anymore under my control... The ABS is just weight and a giant block of uselessness to me because of that... The ONLY thread I've found on here had a bunch of purists complaining about it being removed... Is there any chance someone looking to go fast removed it easily? Proporting valves sound like the easiest route... Any ideas on a kit or writeup?

So that about all the questions I've come by so far, Again.. Sorry it's a little jumbled, I just have an extreme case of ADD and have to make sure i don't miss something
Old 12-10-2014, 11:25 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Why do you need a single bolt cam? From what you wrote it appears you're leaving the stock shortblock in there which is 3-bolt... just make sure you get a new chain and for that mileage oil pump.

Plenty of people use the LS7 lifter

Alt/PS bracket get's much more friendly with a new open PS pulley instead of the solid plastic C5 piece.

No kit that i'm aware of for a pushed forward, different radiator. Will need to take some measurements and either have one made or search for one close enough in size for what you want to do.

Good luck with the build!!
Old 12-10-2014, 12:35 PM
nemean
Cruising

Originally Posted by JDS99
Why do you need a single bolt cam? From what you wrote it appears you're leaving the stock shortblock in there which is 3-bolt... just make sure you get a new chain and for that mileage oil pump.

Plenty of people use the LS7 lifter

Alt/PS bracket get's much more friendly with a new open PS pulley instead of the solid plastic C5 piece.

No kit that i'm aware of for a pushed forward, different radiator. Will need to take some measurements and either have one made or search for one close enough in size for what you want to do.

Good luck with the build!!
I got the cam bolts switched up, lol. I used LS7 lifters in my last motor, just wanted to make sure I was up with the times. Yeah, I'm going to have to get a custom radiator made, or figure out how to reposition the factory radiator. There's SO much room in the front of these cars to have it all ate up by the condenser and radiator.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

The LS6 is a good OEM FI cam, and should be able to find one for not a lot.

You will still get random questions, because some won't read it all. Lol
Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM
nemean
Cruising

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
The LS6 is a good OEM FI cam, and should be able to find one for not a lot.

You will still get random questions, because some won't read it all. Lol
I sold my 02 LS6 cam too, lol. Dang. I just figured while everythings going to be apart, might as well replace what worn items I can...

It's annoying to know how every time I do this it ends up being hundreds of dollars -_-

Just engine prep is a 500+... Gotta pay to play though!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:55 AM
nemean
Cruising

To the top! Any more info would be great
Old 12-11-2014, 07:50 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nemean
This is a budget build... I'm really only tackling this because I have a tig welder and the ability to...
Originally Posted by nemean
To the top! Any more info would be great
It will take/cost 3 times more than you think & wouldn't break 10's with a stick
Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
It will take/cost 3 times more than you think & wouldn't break 10's with a stick
Sad but the cost will be correct for sure. To the OP here count on double the price of what you think it will cost for sure. Robert
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

For what it's worth...

I don't have any of the A/H or T/C in my car anymore... I have manual brakes.

Good luck with the build.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Capthuff
For what it's worth...

Dam race car.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:13 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by robert miller
Dam race car.
no power steering either
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

no power steering either
Disgusting
Old 12-11-2014, 11:33 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Disgusting
u could of just powdercoated that ugly ps/alt bracket
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blown81bu
u could of just powdercoated that ugly ps/alt bracket
Jay is a racer he don't think about bling. It is all GO with him are the car don't need it. Robert
Old 12-11-2014, 12:35 PM
nemean
Cruising

I'm pretty sure I'm coming off like a newb, lol.. I'm aware of the budget going way over everytime someone messes with a car, especially to this level. I've got a 92 GT roller that I'm moving my 1jz in to (pissing off ford guys is the best) to go fast in a straight line. I only really care about the track for a benchmark. My goal with the car is to make a fun 550-600whp that I can enjoy on the street.

Originally Posted by robert miller
Sad but the cost will be correct for sure. To the OP here count on double the price of what you think it will cost for sure. Robert
yeah, it happens... My goal is to keep the entire car under 10-12k investment. I've got a majority of the parts laying around to pull this off. I need to source the right turbo... and tuning.. That's about it.

For what it's worth...

I'm going to search your ID to see if I can find any writeups you've done, or any pics I can manage... But! If you wouldn't mind. I'd love to see how you routed / what you did. I was going to go with willwoods 2 in, 3 out proportioning valve and go from there.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/l...at-its-finest/

Im going to attempt to copy this build or do twins with the same concept. My car is currently single rear mount. I'm going to order up my AES 390 next week and I'd like to move the turbo up front.

Last edited by junk c5; 12-12-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Shoaf85
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This may be something you could get some ideas from. I had a custom radiator made by local radiator shop (pushed forward and stood up). Cut out a little of the front support to make room for standing I/C and radiator up.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-finally.html

Last edited by Shoaf85; 12-13-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My 99 FRC project! Going front mount turbo

Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

why did you decide to do turbo and not centri? because you want to have fun welding that up? on the street a turbo can be tricky to drive (when racing it doesnt matter, because you are into full boost all the time), the system is much more complicated and all that heat under the hood! did you consider a sequential system?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:40 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoaf85
This may be something you could get some ideas from. I had a custom radiator made by local radiator shop (pushed forward and stood up). Cut out a little of the front support to make room for standing I/C and radiator up.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-finally.html
Do u have any header pics ? I'm debating which direction to go with the headers. Lots of choices.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:24 AM
nemean
Cruising

Originally Posted by romandian
why did you decide to do turbo and not centri? because you want to have fun welding that up? on the street a turbo can be tricky to drive (when racing it doesnt matter, because you are into full boost all the time), the system is much more complicated and all that heat under the hood! did you consider a sequential system?
If you do the right size turbo, you can be in full boost at 2500 RPM... Where people fail at single mount is by having a power goal and overshooting the hell out of it with some giant turbo. I'm most likely going turbonetics T70. I haven't decided what exact wheels to go with... But I'm shooting for 600whp max... So with that said, the reason I didn't go centri is cost... I paid 7500 dollars for the car, and have 4 cars... It's hard to devote the cost of the freaking car to a centri kit

Last edited by nemean; 12-14-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 99 FRC project! Going front mount turbo