C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system thoughts. Enough to feed 8's.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:11 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Fuel system thoughts. Enough to feed 8's.

Take a look below and you see the car's spec in my sig. This year the fuel system let me down thus ending my Drag Week early.

At the moment my system is this:
LPE 255 intank with an AN fitting on the hat feeding an external Bosch 044. From there it uses the stock feed line to an Aeromotive regulator and into the stock rails. The return uses the stock return line fed from the regulator. BOTH pumps run all the time and when boost comes in a Boost-A-Pump kicks in to feed the demand. This system fed the car fine but the esternal pump is eating itself at this point do to load and heat issues. This is NOT the way I would have designed the system so this winter I'm looking to make some changes.

My initial thought is to do something like the ECS state 2 with the A1000 kicking in off a Hobbs and do away with the boost-a-pump. Should I run all new lines (larger) for both feed and return? I will also ditch the factory rails in favor of aftermarket ones.

I'm a "do it right, do it once" sort of guy so I'd like a bit of room to grow. I know the car has been into the 8's on its current setup before and I'd love to see it there again so thats the goal. Just need the fuel system to support it.

I was hoping something new and exciting would be out for the C5 crowd now that PRI is over but I haven't seen anything yet. Insiders....did i miss it?

- Travis
Old 12-13-2014, 10:00 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I think you have plenty of fuel pump(255 & 044), however I am not sure you have enough fuel line... Its hard to say, you just have to test it.. Everyone sets them up different. I like the regulator after feeding the rails honestly so its throttling the return flow to the tank, not restricting the feed to the rails(I think that's how yours is setup)..Also the amount of meth you are running will also affect how much fuel system you need.

For your reference, I have the same pumps as you...

I have the LPE 225 lph internal pump on the stock feed line, a bosch 044 external on its own -8an line, both lines are feeding a 5 port fuel log... Then I run separate -8an lines from the log to each fuel rail and the cross over... I have a -8an from the fuel log to the regulator and a -6an return back to the tank. This setup combined with M10/M5 nozzles of meth and I have WAY more fuel then what I need for my 900hp and 151 mph (1/4). At 75 psi fuel pressure at peak boost, I only see about 82% DC on the FIC1000 injectors.. No doubt this fuel setup would easily support well over 1000hp and 160+ mph trap speeds....That's enough for 8.60s

You may be ok with your current plumbing, only way to know is to test it, log it and watch it like a hawk.. I think another fuel feed line would be beneficial for you though.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 PM
trayack
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I think you have plenty of fuel pump(255 & 044), however I am not sure you have enough fuel line... Its hard to say, you just have to test it.. Everyone sets them up different. I like the regulator after feeding the rails honestly so its throttling the return flow to the tank, not restricting the feed to the rails(I think that's how yours is setup)..Also the amount of meth you are running will also affect how much fuel system you need.

For your reference, I have the same pumps as you...

I have the LPE 225 lph internal pump on the stock feed line, a bosch 044 external on its own -8an line, both lines are feeding a 5 port fuel log... Then I run separate -8an lines from the log to each fuel rail and the cross over... I have a -8an from the fuel log to the regulator and a -6an return back to the tank. This setup combined with M10/M5 nozzles of meth and I have WAY more fuel then what I need for my 900hp and 151 mph (1/4). At 75 psi fuel pressure at peak boost, I only see about 82% DC on the FIC1000 injectors.. No doubt this fuel setup would easily support well over 1000hp and 160+ mph trap speeds....That's enough for 8.60s

You may be ok with your current plumbing, only way to know is to test it, log it and watch it like a hawk.. I think another fuel feed line would be beneficial for you though.
Does your 044 kick on with boost or does it run full time then kicked up with a BAP?

- Travis
Old 12-14-2014, 12:51 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Hey Buddy, still fighting the fuel issues huh?

I run an intank 255 pump on all the time, then at 2#'s of boost my Magnafuel 4303 pump kicks in. The two pumps feed check valves before "y"ing at a -10AN filter and line going to my fuel rails. I run a -8AN return to tank and use an ECS adapter hat to feed the Magnafuel pump.

If you would parallel the pumps, use the Boost-a-pump to drive you intank pump under boost, and maybe increase your fuel lines I think you'd see cooler fuel and less issues, imo.

Last edited by JoeyG; 12-14-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:01 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trayack
Does your 044 kick on with boost or does it run full time then kicked up with a BAP?

- Travis

My 044 comes on at about 3-4 psi of boost and it has a BAP on it..(which obviously comes on at 3-4 psi). I use an A&A Hobbs switch to trigger the BAP and fuel pump.

The LPE 225 pump just runs on a Racetronix Hotwire kit.

Also I type-O'd the previous post, it's a M15/M10 nozzle combo that see around 145 psi of meth pressure.

Last edited by ajrothm; 12-14-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
My 044 comes on at about 3-4 psi of boost and it has a BAP on it..(which obviously comes on at 3-4 psi). I use an A&A Hobbs switch to trigger the BAP and fuel pump.

The LPE 225 pump just runs on a Racetronix Hotwire kit.

Also I type-O'd the previous post, it's a M15/M10 nozzle combo that see around 145 psi of meth pressure.
Ever think about installing an override switch that turns on the second fuel pump?

That way you can actually hear it's on (like at the track)
Old 12-14-2014, 06:51 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Ever think about installing an override switch that turns on the second fuel pump?

That way you can actually hear it's on (like at the track)
Actually, I have stuck a fuse (staple style 20 amp) in the Hobbs plug to bypass the Hobbs switch for leak testing the fuel system. (Just used the fuse like a jumper wire).. It worked well so now I keep a fuse in the glove box in the event my primary pump was to take a sh*t, I just jump the Hobbs switch and drive home on the secondary pump.

A jumper switch like you said would be a great idea!.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:59 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

My secondary fuel pump, oil scavenge pump, and methanol pump all have manual/over-ride switches in the console. It makes troubleshooting and emergency testing super easy. Just food for thought like 4D suggested
Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 PM
trayack
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoeyG

I run an intank 255 pump on all the time, then at 2#'s of boost my Magnafuel 4303 pump kicks in. The two pumps feed check valves before "y"ing at a -10AN filter and line going to my fuel rails. I run a -8AN return to tank and use an ECS adapter hat to feed the Magnafuel pump.

If you would parallel the pumps, use the Boost-a-pump to drive you intank pump under boost, and maybe increase your fuel lines I think you'd see cooler fuel and less issues, imo.
Not really "still" as i haven't done jack **** to the car since we got back. Its been fine for cruising around town although the 044 is still clearly eating itself. Honestly I wanted wait until after PRI to see if anything new and exciting was coming out.

After talking to Jared at dragweek my plan from was to use the ECS adapter like you did with an A1000 and a line/rail setup like yours. Just wanted to see what everyone else was doing incase there was a better option.

I'd breifly considered the Lonnies twin intank, but it just seem like a ton of cash for what you actually get. Who knows, maybe by the time I get it all priced out (I'll throw a new LPE 255 in there too while its apart) and lines/fittings/rails/LPE255/A1000/ECS Adapter and the wiring upgrade maybe I'll be close to that Lonnies cost. I'll have to play around with it and see what I've got laying around my shop for fittings and lines already.

- Travis
Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm running a 255 in tank with hot wire and bap. And A1000 external with 8an off in tank pump to a Y block shared with A1000 running 8an to rails and a 6AN return , im not using the stock fuel line, my car is a 2004 so it was a tank puller . Car only runs low 9 sec but I think it's got plenty of fuel for 8s

plus lots of meth
Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I like this setup ! I've been looking at an E85 fuel system to support 1k at the tire

the 4303 looks like a good choice

I need to do a new e85 compatible pump and looking at the high flow walbro to replace my current intank. I'm upgrading the motor and will likely drop the whole cradle as working on the ttix system is really tough in the car

need a very reliable and streetable combo!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:00 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

My fuel system combo is twin walbro 255 LPH pumps in a RSI hangar. On a dual relayed hot wire. With no boost a pump. Both pumps would run all the time. The car made power in the upper 900 whp range but I was running out of fuel pressure uptop. (I'm sure my small *** cam that makes 16 HG vacuum at idle don't help)

Now the Hotwire kit is configured to run one pump full time and the other is on a Hobbs switch set to turn a boost a pump on at 6 psi.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I like this setup ! I've been looking at an E85 fuel system to support 1k at the tire

the 4303 looks like a good choice

I need to do a new e85 compatible pump and looking at the high flow walbro to replace my current intank. I'm upgrading the motor and will likely drop the whole cradle as working on the ttix system is really tough in the car

need a very reliable and streetable combo!
For me it works very well. Running 96lb/hr injectors (3Barr) I only see idc in the low 70% range at 832rwhp on pump/race gas mix and a small amount of boost juice.

Travis just keep us informed. As I like your car alot and wanna see the updates.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:52 PM
trayack
Drifting

For me it works very well. Running 96lb/hr injectors (3Barr) I only see idc in the low 70% range at 832rwhp on pump/race gas mix and a small amount of boost juice.

Travis just keep us informed. As I like your car alot and wanna see the updates.
Joey I totally will keep you guys updated. It will most likely be well after the new year before I actually get after it though. Still trying to recover financially from all the dragweek prep! Well, that and I'm in the North East and all of the tracks are shut down already so theres no rush to get it finished.

- Travis

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel system thoughts. Enough to feed 8's.

Quick Reply: Fuel system thoughts. Enough to feed 8's.