C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Forge block

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Z06DIL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Forge block

My current site up is a vortech v2 blower on a stock ls6 block.
I was thinking about buyin a forge block maybe a lq9 370
But then someone told me if I get that I'll will have to get a bigger blower? They said I will be over spinning this one.
Is there any forge block I can buy from Texas Speed or Thomson motorsports?
I want the block to handle like 800 900 hp just in a go up power later on in the future.

Thanks Guy

04 corvette z06 vortech v2 3.8 pulley with 10psi boost
Small blower cam with bolt ons
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2014, 01:34 PM
cmiller8006
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do some searching around, both places you mentioned sell short and long blocks along with rotating assemblies and all.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:46 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Your going to have to get a larger blower to meet those power goals. Some people have done it on a stock block, but not many. 370ci is a good motor. Look at Thompson Motorsports or AES.

Just installing a forged motor won't net you any gains. You're only going to make what your current blower can supply air for. You're only going to over spin the blower if you install a pulley that is too small.

I made 615 with a V3-Si on a stock LS-1, 730 with a V3-Ti on a forged 390ci, and 880 with a Ysi on the same 390ci. The Si and Ti were both maxed out and an upgraded was needed to make more. However, the Ysi still has room to grow.

What's up with your intercooler is looks really small? Looks like A&A bracket, but not the IC. Unless it's an older kit.

Last edited by CamminC5; 12-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I just want to make sure I'm reading your post right. Someone told you that in order to go from your LS6 to a 370 LQ9 engine that you would have to change your blower because you would be over spinning it?

Well that's not true, based on the sense of swapping in whatever long block you want and transferring your current blower and pulley combo over. besides the blower step up ratio itself, your blower impeller speed depends on the crank and blower pulley diameters not engine size.

Now in order for you to make 800-900 WHP you are going to probably need a larger blower (depending on specific engine specs such as static compression ratio Ect.).

For the purpose of wanting a a larger more robust 370 cubic inch engine with (relatively typical specific engine specs) for a future larger blower upgrade, you will be just fine running your Si trim blower on your aforementioned combo. As already mentioned though to get that kind of power at the wheels you are going to need a bigger blower among other things.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Z06DIL
Advanced

Thanks guys
So I should be just fine with a 370 lq9. I just want a good forge block right now because I don't want to block my stock one. I don't want too much power right now just like 650+ to the wheels. When I get the lq9 I'm going to get bigger cam and head so I should reach what with thing blower. I just don't wan to mess up the blower that why I need to make sure.

And yes it's a A&A kit just old maybe installed 4 years ago that.

You guys know any good place to buy it from?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It's kind of a waste of money to pull your motor, that's fine, to swap it with a stronger one. Your going to be limited in power by the blower that's on there now. Get a smaller pulley, add some methanol, and get it tuned by a reputable shop and you will have no worries.

Don't take offense, but judging by the way your talking you need to do more research and get more experience with these cars under your belt before you throw things like a built motor at it.

Just trying to help, and get you the most for your money. Post up the type of blower that is and I'll show you how to calculate a better pulley size.

Originally Posted by Z06DIL
Thanks guys
So I should be just fine with a 370 lq9. I just want a good forge block right now because I don't want to block my stock one. I don't want too much power right now just like 650+ to the wheels. When I get the lq9 I'm going to get bigger cam and head so I should reach what with thing blower. I just don't wan to mess up the blower that why I need to make sure.

And yes it's a A&A kit just old maybe installed 4 years ago that.

You guys know any good place to buy it from?
Old 12-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Z06DIL
Advanced

Originally Posted by CamminC5
It's kind of a waste of money to pull your motor, that's fine, to swap it with a stronger one. Your going to be limited in power by the blower that's on there now. Get a smaller pulley, add some methanol, and get it tuned by a reputable shop and you will have no worries.

Don't take offense, but judging by the way your talking you need to do more research and get more experience with these cars under your belt before you throw things like a built motor at it.

Just trying to help, and get you the most for your money. Post up the type of blower that is and I'll show you how to calculate a better pulley size.

That is what I was going to do first. I was just going to put smaller pulley (3.6) with meth but then people started tell me that I am already risking my block. they said to just built the block before you blow it, I read that 6-8 psi is that safe for the ls6 block but it been running 10psi for 4 years.
I'm the three owner after the supercharger was installed. Idk what the block been throught.

And I don't know that much about it that's why I'm asking. Never had a supercharged car so yea that's new to me.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Thompson Motorsports
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We can help you find a perfect match for your build. Feel free to give us a call, We have a huge selection of boost ready short and long block options.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:23 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Thompson Motorsports
We can help you find a perfect match for your build. Feel free to give us a call, We have a huge selection of boost ready short and long block options.
^^^ a good choice.

You shouldn't taxing the motor with a 3.8 or a 3.6 pulley on that blower, but it is all about the tune.

Don't listen to people when they tell you "oh it will only hold XXXpsi" that's advice coming from a stupid *******. What makes power is the CFM (cubic feet per minute) of air the blower or turbo pumps out, then measure that in PSI.

I ran a 3.4 pullied V3-SI on a stock motor with over 100,000 miles for 3 years and had no issues. It's all in the tune. Trust me.

Read threads on here until you get enough understanding of how to efficiently make more power with what you have now, then read some more.

Last edited by CamminC5; 12-31-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a Forge block

Quick Reply: Buying a Forge block