C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne Bell Heavy Duty Tensioner ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Excessive ZO6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Kenne Bell Heavy Duty Tensioner ???

Does anyone know what the tensioner was off of that Jeff (TPE) used for his Heavy Duty Tensioner which he developed for the C5 KenneBell kits?

I keep throwing a couple ribs on my serpentine belt and I believe the tensioner needs to be replaced. It only has about 20lbs of tension and that seems to be fairly weak.

If someone has a better solution for a roots style blower I would be open to any ideas.

thanks

Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Not sure about Jeff's set up, but we have sold a ton of these to KB owners;

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ategory_id=162
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

I wouldn't buy nothing from Jeff and except it to work like he tells you it would. Robert
Old 01-05-2015, 12:41 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doug they look tuff , didn't know about those , would they work with the TVS2300 .

I went with the comp cams solid adjustable , if it gives me any aggro i`ll
take one of those .

OP just incase you never saw this , might help also .
Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

If you post a pic of what your set up looks like I can tell you if it will work or not. I would definitely not go with a solid tensioner set up for any supercharger application. Actually I wouldn't use a solid set up in any application, why go backwards in technology 20+ years?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM
alans02z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing the video of the COPO with the GO Pro under the hood showing the tensioner there is no way Id solid mount on either.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Excessive ZO6
Racer

Doug will this definitely work with my application? The mounting looks quite different and is there enough room to attach my Power Steering Reservoir like I have now? It is relocated in the KenneBell set up.

I did see that NITRO UK and that is how my current belt set up is. There seems to be a fairly big distance between the idler (2) and the alternator (3) where there needs to be another idler or something applying tension to the belt. Maybe not.

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
OP just incase you never saw this , might help also .
Old 01-06-2015, 02:40 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alans02z
After seeing the video of the COPO with the GO Pro under the hood showing the tensioner there is no way Id solid mount on either.
I always seem to find out $hit after purchase

Any link to that vid
Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 AM
alans02z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by Excessive ZO6
Doug will this definitely work with my application? The mounting looks quite different and is there enough room to attach my Power Steering Reservoir like I have now? It is relocated in the KenneBell set up.
It will work fine for your application, we have installed and sold many over the years.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alans02z

I was hoping to see a solid mounted tensioner having a crap but its a sprung tensioner having a fit

I assume a spring tensioner adapts to the load on the belt which a fix tensioner can not . I have to wonder why they still make the solid style .

Thanks for the info .

Doug ,will post a pic , think your one will work no prob .

Last edited by NITRO UK; 01-06-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:22 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

OP your tensioner looks very similar to my tvs2300 which was in my kit.

Didn't line up very well

Thinking the only solution is one of these ,probable a bit tunnel vision on the alignment thing.

Doug this is what I have at the mo ?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM
DOUG @ ECS

I would be willing to bet you are getting belt slip up top in the RPM range, our tensioner, or any good spring loaded tensioner would fix that.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:50 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Doug , only had that at idle so all good at the mo

So could you send one to a limey in the uk , I have used USPS and seems to work well .

Zip is WOKINGHAM BERKSHIRE RG41 2SD can pm you the full address if you need it mate .

Old 01-14-2015, 04:56 PM
umrjmac
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Kenne Bell supercharger and the ECS tensioner. The tensioner DOES interfere with the power steering fluid reservoir relocation bracket that Kenne Bell provides with their kit. You cannot use both, unfortunately.

I tried to notch both the KB bracket and the aluminum ECS plate. But once the two cleared, there was significant interference between the reservoir and the tensioner itself. I opted to keep the ECS tensioner, so I got a fresh plate from ECS (great service from those guys!). For now I have the reservoir pinned up out of the way with the intention of having a bracket made to hold it. Another thought is to move the reservoir forward by attaching it to the front side of the plate, but that would require notching the fan shroud and possibly the fan blades as well, so I scrapped that idea.

If you figure out a clever solution or have a new bracket built, let me know and I'll buy one as well.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Last edited by umrjmac; 01-14-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Excessive ZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by umrjmac
I have a Kenne Bell supercharger and the ECS tensioner. The tensioner DOES interfere with the power steering fluid reservoir relocation bracket that Kenne Bell provides with their kit. You cannot use both, unfortunately.

I tried to notch both the KB bracket and the aluminum ECS plate. But once the two cleared, there was significant interference between the reservoir and the tensioner itself. I opted to keep the ECS tensioner, so I got a fresh plate from ECS (great service from those guys!). For now I have the reservoir pinned up out of the way with the intention of having a bracket made to hold it. Another thought is to move the reservoir forward by attaching it to the front side of the plate, but that would require notching the fan shroud and possibly the fan blades as well, so I scrapped that idea.

If you figure out a clever solution or have a new bracket built, let me know and I'll buy one as well.

Hope that helps and good luck.

thanks for the info. I picked up the ECS tensioner here on the forum so I will see how it goes, if I figure out a mounting solution for the reservoir I will let you know. I also have a catch can that mounts about the same location so that will be another hurdle to clear.

how has the tensioner worked for you? I have terrible belt squeal and the belt will jump two ribs on the alternator pulley now. I don't even want to drive it this way sounding like a jallopy on the street.
Did you have to change the belt length. mine now is a K080981.

thanks Brian
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM
umrjmac
Instructor

thanks for the info. I picked up the ECS tensioner here on the forum so I will see how it goes, if I figure out a mounting solution for the reservoir I will let you know. I also have a catch can that mounts about the same location so that will be another hurdle to clear.

how has the tensioner worked for you? I have terrible belt squeal and the belt will jump two ribs on the alternator pulley now. I don't even want to drive it this way sounding like a jallopy on the street.

thanks Brian
It has been great. I don't get on the car too much, but I've had no issues at 11-12PSI. Having said that, the stock tensioner was fine at 7lbs aside from some minor slip if I was a little violent with the gas pedal.

You might check your serpentine belt pulley alignment if it has been jumping ribs on the pulleys. Gates makes a laser tool for it, but I'm not sure on the part number offhand.

Are you running the 2.6L or 2.8L blower? Stock pulley or something smaller?

Get notified of new replies

To Kenne Bell Heavy Duty Tensioner ???

Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

thanks Brian
Hi , yeah worth looking at the belt alignment , do you have the alloy crescent alignment tool for the front plate which sits on top of the front snout ?
Where / who did you get the ecs tensioner from , thanks bud.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 PM
umrjmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
Hi , yeah worth looking at the belt alignment , do you have the alloy crescent alignment tool for the front plate which sits on top of the front snout ?
Where / who did you get the ecs tensioner from , thanks bud.
Sorry, I missed one question from the OP and I know the quote is from an OP post, but I'll throw in my responses to those questions while you wait for his.

I did not change my belt out because the ECS tensioner has a few ways to mount the tensioner to the plate, so I just found one that worked with the belt that I had.

I do not have the small metal bit used to align the large KB front reinforcing plate to the SC itself. When I had the supercharger off the car to do a number of things, I just measured the gap before and after to ensure that it was in the same spot.

I bought my tensioner directly from ECS.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks mate

Fortunately I never had any probs with my KB ,belts etc so never had to investigate anything.

I did email ecs but not heard anything more , maybe get of my **** and just call em

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Heavy Duty Tensioner ???