C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you guys making big power...thru mufflers/cats or bypass pipes?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Are you guys making big power...thru mufflers/cats or bypass pipes?

I wanted to ask

Are you guys m.aking 700+ rwhp doing it thru mufflers /cats (not straight thru tube mufflers, but chambered mufflers?) or thru bypass dump cutouts ?

Any idea how much power chambered mufflers cost you?

I heard somewhere that minmizing exh backpressure is critical on supercharged cars....
Old 01-23-2015, 01:20 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I wanted to ask

Are you guys m.aking 700+ rwhp doing it thru mufflers /cats (not straight thru tube mufflers, but chambered mufflers?) or thru bypass dump cutouts ?

Any idea how much power chambered mufflers cost you?

I heard somewhere that minmizing exh backpressure is critical on supercharged cars....
Most people here are running the stock TI 2.5" exhaust, even up to 900+rwhp. That's not to say they wouldn't be making 1000rwhp with a better exhaust, it just seems most are satisfied with the TI.

I have a 3" XS Power cat back that I made 900rwhp thru, but I still felt the mufflers were a restriction as they neck down to about 2 1/4" inside the muffler before the 180* bends. I installed cut outs before the muffler but I haven't got to test them at the track yet to see if they helped.. Engine is out now so it will be a while.

I feel that the C5 exhaust system by design is restrictive.. Yes it may allow you to make X amount of power, but who's to say you wouldn't have made XX more with a better system.

Seems like no one here has been interested in trying/testing different things other then the hard core drag guys, none of which are running the Ti system so...
Old 01-23-2015, 01:39 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Most people here are running the stock TI 2.5" exhaust, even up to 900+rwhp. That's not to say they wouldn't be making 1000rwhp with a better exhaust, it just seems most are satisfied with the TI.

I have a 3" XS Power cat back that I made 900rwhp thru, but I still felt the mufflers were a restriction as they neck down to about 2 1/4" inside the muffler before the 180* bends. I installed cut outs before the muffler but I haven't got to test them at the track yet to see if they helped.. Engine is out now so it will be a while.

I feel that the C5 exhaust system by design is restrictive.. Yes it may allow you to make X amount of power, but who's to say you wouldn't have made XX more with a better system.

Seems like no one here has been interested in trying/testing different things other then the hard core drag guys, none of which are running the Ti system so...
But also some cut out the cats due to they will not last that long on these car that are running boost in them.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I would be interested in seeing your results. I run the stock TI mufflers on my Z and have some cutouts right under the transmission before the exhaust goes from 3" to 2.5". I am right under 700 rwhp and I only see a 5 rwhp difference. The biggest thing I see has to do with the exhaust pulse. The stock muffler exit with my current setup is not optimal and cost me in the mid-low range torque. With the cutouts open I get all the mid-low range back though.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:38 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've made over 900rwhp with ARH 1 7/8 headers and cats through stock ti mufflers. I love the sound and there's no drone or resonance from that set up. Is more power possible with with a bigger set up? Most likely, but I feel that for most people that would suffice. Only other reason to try a different muffler would be for sound...but that is subjective.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Here is a couple pics of my setup:

The cutout pipes are only 2.5" but atleast it bypasses the mufflers. I'm not sure if it was worth any power, even if it gained 20 rwhp at 900, it's worth it for me.. I've spent way more to gain way less.

I'll probably test it on the dyno when the engine goes back in.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:20 PM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

i wouldnt mind giving the stainless works 3" a shot but i'm afraid of getting drone.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I run mine with no cats to corsa xtremes... that is one of the least restrictive systems I could find, the pipes don't even flow directly through the mufflers... they are loud though so if you want stealth they aren't for you
Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by algZO6
i wouldnt mind giving the stainless works 3" a shot but i'm afraid of getting drone.
They will drone for sure and that design (and price!) is stupid. If you are going to run no mufflers it should be straight over the axles like SLP loudmouth and Borla Straight pipes
Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I went from stingers, to TI's, to xtremes, and finally corsa touring. The last was the only one that didn't drone. I'll sacrifice a couple HP to be comfortable.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Here is a thread I started last year with a bunch of pics and discussions on c5 exhaust systems FYI.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-testing.html
Old 01-24-2015, 06:21 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Im using unmodded TI exaust myself..900 rwhp...I got an old high school friend who has a set of kooks jet hot coated 1 7/8 headers i may try over my proven 1 3/4 LGs..I maybe 800 rwhp next dyno session.LOL
Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Drone is the last thing I want. I'm just going to stick with the TI exhaust.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 AM
2003VETT
Melting Slicks

Location: Still the Fastest (still running) Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did that. No good. System sounded good, but definitely had drone. I got rid of it.

Much heavier compared to TI. We all know you need to lose a few pounds to get that .04....
Old 01-25-2015, 08:50 AM
dblack
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on power level but I am running a 3.25 blower and OD crank on a V1 Ti. Just pulled the 3" XS power system off as the drone and overall volume was too much for me.

I loved the sound at idle and WOT, but getting up to speed was pretty rough.

I'm looking for Ti's or something else more mellow now.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Thanks for the replies.

yes, I have a 3" x-pipe stainless system up to the mufflers and it drones more - even though its running thru the stock mufflers!!!!

Its annoying because its a little more difficult to talk on a cell phone (even with my handsfree bluetooth device....)

It'd be impossible to have a system like on my truck where there is a microphone in the ceiling!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Here is a couple pics of my setup:

The cutout pipes are only 2.5" but atleast it bypasses the mufflers. I'm not sure if it was worth any power, even if it gained 20 rwhp at 900, it's worth it for me.. I've spent way more to gain way less.

I'll probably test it on the dyno when the engine goes back in.
amazing! very creative.

You have the best of everything

Thanks for sharing the pictures
Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2003VETT
Did that. No good. System sounded good, but definitely had drone. I got rid of it.

Much heavier compared to TI. We all know you need to lose a few pounds to get that .04....

Get notified of new replies

To Are you guys making big power...thru mufflers/cats or bypass pipes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you guys making big power...thru mufflers/cats or bypass pipes?