C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird warm starting issue after tune (video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:26 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird warm starting issue after tune (video)

Info:
Car starts right up when it has been sitting in the garage. No issues on cold starts when the car has been sitting for quite a bit of time. Now when the car has been sitting for about 40 minutes- 2 hours or so it does this

It happened after I had 60lb injectors, 2 bar MAP, new plugs and plug wires, BTR dual valve springs, Comp pushrods installed along with a HP tuners dyno and street tune from my tuner.

I took it to my tuner and he thinks my battery has a lot to do with it since it is a no name battery brand and around 2 years old from previous owner. He then adjusted a couple parameters on start up. So I installed a new gold series battery at AdvanceAuto and I still have the issue.

Car also will start right away on these warm starts...but it sounds like its about to die for a second, then comes to life. Sometimes it will just die and I will have to turn the key again. Anyone have any ideas?? Kind of driving me nuts. Everything else is great.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does the same exact thing in terms of trying to die on warm start. I have to lightly hold my foot on the gas for a bit at warm start up and it's fine. Spoke with my tuner and he said he can fix it, I just haven't had time to go. He said it's typical with a big cam and takes a few adjustments to get it right, especially since my car was tuned in cold weather
Old 01-24-2015, 05:13 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Next time you try to start the car after its warm try cycling the key on until the fuel pump quits whining then bump the key but don't start it then try to start it and see if it is still hard to start.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dcollins3208
My car does the same exact thing in terms of trying to die on warm start. I have to lightly hold my foot on the gas for a bit at warm start up and it's fine. Spoke with my tuner and he said he can fix it, I just haven't had time to go. He said it's typical with a big cam and takes a few adjustments to get it right, especially since my car was tuned in cold weather
Yeah he said he couldn't really do to much since the HP tuner program doesn't really load up until start up. So its a guessing game on what to adjust.

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Next time you try to start the car after its warm try cycling the key on until the fuel pump quits whining then bump the key but don't start it then try to start it and see if it is still hard to start.
So go to the "on position a couple times and the fuel pump will stop whining after cycling it?

I noticed on this car as opposed to other cars I have had, it literally starts right away. (cold start of course) Seems like it starts too quickly haha.

I will try the bump method, and then start it. Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited by 4drturbo; 01-25-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

The reason I'm asking you to try that is an attempt to try and isolate something. I want to see if there's a possibility it's just an issue with the fuel system rather than the tune itself.

For example on my car in order for it to fire right up on cold start, I have to cycle the key on and off and or bump it to get it to fire right away. Other wise it's hesitant.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a FP gauge?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:12 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

The reason I'm asking you to try that is an attempt to try and isolate something. I want to see if there's a possibility it's just an issue with the fuel system rather than the tune itself.

For example on my car in order for it to fire right up on cold start, I have to cycle the key on and off and or bump it to get it to fire right away. Other wise it's hesitant.
Mine starts perfect on a cold start. Car can sit 2 weeks and it will fire right up in my garage.

My issue is with a warm start. Doesn't happen all the time either on a warm start. But 8 out of 10 times it does.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:24 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Yeah he said he couldn't really do to much since the HP tuner program doesn't really load up until start up. So its a guessing game on what to adjust.
Sorry, not true.

Doesn't have to be a guessing game.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:55 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Sorry, not true.

I will give him another shot at it, and if he can't figure it out I am taken it to another guy I heard good things about. All this has happened after the tune.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I will give him another shot at it, and if he can't figure it out I am taken it to another guy I heard good things about. All this has happened after the tune.
I would get your money back. If he says it's something else and not in the tune, then offer him this: You get the tune changed and the problem solved, you get your money back. If it's mechanical, he gets an apology.

If you want to get a HP Tuners module from me, I can fix it remotely. I offer 30 minutes of tutorial time with the module purchase. You can use it toward that if you like. I'm fair if it takes longer. When I charge for a tune, IF the issue is tune related and I can't solve it, money back.
I've tuned two supercharged C5's local to you. They might be willing to loan you their module with a proper security deposit.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:13 PM
backnblack2003z06
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would take Bret up on his offer. He knows how to tune and is absolutely right on HP tuners being able to read during cranking.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by backnblack2003z06
I would take Bret up on his offer. He knows how to tune and is absolutely right on HP tuners being able to read during cranking.
I agree he can tune.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:59 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Info:
Car starts right up when it has been sitting in the garage. No issues on cold starts when the car has been sitting for quite a bit of time. Now when the car has been sitting for about 40 minutes- 2 hours or so it does this

It happened after I had 60lb injectors, 2 bar MAP, new plugs and plug wires, BTR dual valve springs, Comp pushrods installed along with a HP tuners dyno and street tune from my tuner.

I took it to my tuner and he thinks my battery has a lot to do with it since it is a no name battery brand and around 2 years old from previous owner. He then adjusted a couple parameters on start up. So I installed a new gold series battery at AdvanceAuto and I still have the issue.

Car also will start right away on these warm starts...but it sounds like its about to die for a second, then comes to life. Sometimes it will just die and I will have to turn the key again. Anyone have any ideas?? Kind of driving me nuts. Everything else is great.

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Sorry, not true.

^^^^^

4drturbo, hearing your tuner say he has no other alternative than to guess makes me cringe. I hate to assume that it's automatically a tune issue but if it wasn't doing it before you added injectors and a 2 bar MAP then it may very well be especially if those two things were not accounted for. It's tough to know exactly what the issue is without data though. So, I say you get ahold of HPT if you can and let Bret Blownbluezo6 help you out. You won't regret it.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:46 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

^^^^^

4drturbo, hearing your tuner say he has no other alternative than to guess makes me cringe. I hate to assume that it's automatically a tune issue but if it wasn't doing it before you added injectors and a 2 bar MAP then it may very well be especially if those two things were not accounted for. It's tough to know exactly what the issue is without data though. So, I say you get ahold of HPT if you can and let Bret Blownbluezo6 help you out. You won't regret it.
Let me shed a bit more light on the situation. When I brought the car to him, we waited like 15 minutes, and it started right up. He adjusted a couple things and told me my battery was a no name battery and it would probably be a good idea to get a new battery since, we did like 5-6 start ups, and the battery died. Car wouldn't start at all. Thats why he told me to get a new battery. Its just such an odd situation and when I brought it to him I couldn't replicate the weird starting issue. He never said there was no alternative other then to guess. But that is what I got along those lines....Car had to sit for longer. Here is a cold start:

I would get your money back. If he says it's something else and not in the tune, then offer him this: You get the tune changed and the problem solved, you get your money back. If it's mechanical, he gets an apology.

If you want to get a HP Tuners module from me, I can fix it remotely. I offer 30 minutes of tutorial time with the module purchase. You can use it toward that if you like. I'm fair if it takes longer. When I charge for a tune, IF the issue is tune related and I can't solve it, money back.
I've tuned two supercharged C5's local to you. They might be willing to loan you their module with a proper security deposit
Well said. I just need to find time and a nice day to see and set something up and give him one more chance. I don't own a HPT or have a wideband in the car. Car is on a very conservative tune. If he can't figure it out I will take it to Justne performance, heard good things about him. If he can't fix it I will go your route. Thank you very much for the offer. Right now, since I don't drive the car that much, it isn't a major priority.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Car needs RussK idle config. Basically your idle airflow values are off, show your tuner my post:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post223853

Originally Posted by Russ K
Cold engine key on, start scanning, then start engine & let idle till operating temp without touching the throttle. Then copy the #1 idle desired airflow histogram (average) and paste into the RAF table of the editor. Make sure that the same units (imp. or metric) are used in both the scanner & editor.

Repeat in gear if A4 trans.

Russ Kemp
Edit: Also tell your tuner he can start scanning BEFORE you turn on the car, it doesn't have to be on first.

Edit again: sending you a PM

Last edited by Milan; 01-29-2015 at 12:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird warm starting issue after tune (video)

Quick Reply: Weird warm starting issue after tune (video)