C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Cooling

Does any one have any experience with Spal fans and a stock radiator or the stock fans and a Dewitts radiator? Car is a twin Turbo 2000. I would like to cool it down a little. Fans are set at 160* to come on and a 160* stat.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:31 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

I put in this Engineered Cooling Products rad in my SC M6 Vert

Not sure if they have the A4 but if not you could run a small trans cooler for that.

It's a quality product was only 275.00 shipped compared to 600.00 for DeWitt
You can find on the big auction site for 285.00 shipped or google them up for their own website.

I had to break off 2 of the 4 tabs on the bottom on both sides to get the shrouds to fit (after getting the rad in) as they were just slightly too narrow, also had to break off the inside tab and twist the other tab then bend it back to clear the shroud at the top hose (couldn't see any other way to do it without removing shrouds out of the car) but it was just a little modding, no big deal.

I have stock fans that come on 175-185 (I think) and a 160 thermostat.

Now my temps hardly ever get above 200 or 205 with the AC on, on a hot 90+ degree day.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 01-28-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:34 PM
CA99FRC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you luck. Here is my experience with those radiators:

My first engineered cooling products radiator started leaking within 2 months and the replacement started leaking on day 1. The welds are terrible and not fully sealed. Mine had pinholes in them that would weep coolant. Customer service is also terrible. They require you to pay for return shipping and will not send a replacement until the original is received. I wasted a lot of money purchasing coolant, paying for shipping, and time every time to do the repair.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CA99FRC
I wish you luck. Here is my experience with those radiators:

My first engineered cooling products radiator started leaking within 2 months and the replacement started leaking on day 1. The welds are terrible and not fully sealed. Mine had pinholes in them that would weep coolant. Customer service is also terrible. They require you to pay for return shipping and will not send a replacement until the original is received. I wasted a lot of money purchasing coolant, paying for shipping, and time every time to do the repair.
Good to know.
I haven't had any problems (so far) using it for about 4 months.
No leaks at all.
When did you buy yours?
I got mine in August and drove the car till December.
I checked it over before putting it in and the welds looked fine.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-27-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:09 PM
CA99FRC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
Good to know.
I haven't had any problems (so far) using it for about 4 months.
No leaks at all.
When did you buy yours?
I got mine in August and drove the car till December.
I checked it over before putting it in and the welds looked fine.
I bought mine in May 2014. It started leaking around July. In fact I had my vette in the shop at A&A in August 2014 for a clutch install (which BTW they did a great job). They told me that the welds on the radiator were awful and I need a replacement. This was adisappointment to me because it was a brand new radiator. I dealt with the situation because it was my daily driver and Engineered Cooling wouldn't send a replacement until they received the defunct one. I recently got a truck so was able to be without the car for a little while. I installed the warranted replacement yesterday and still have problems. Here is a picture of some of the bad welds. The pinhole that leaks is actually not visible.

I hope you have a better experience than me but I want to warn you that their customer service is probably the worst in history. They did not cover return shipping and made me be without a driving Vette for about two weeks due to shipping time and processing. I want a refund now but they will not give it to me. They want to send me another replacement but considering I have experienced a 100% failure rate on the two that they sent me I don't think this is acceptable. Sorry for my rant!

Last edited by CA99FRC; 02-27-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:26 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

I put mine in myself.
Nothing I can't do but it was a pain with my hands getting a bunch of small cuts and scratches etc.
I still have my factory rad but if this happens to me I'll get the Dewitt
as money is not an issue with me.
I had a small leak for a while but I put braided steel hoses in and it was a worm gear hose clamp to the overflow tank that needed retightening and after I went over all the clamps everything is good.
I'd be p!ssed too with your experience but maybe a few bad ones got missed by QC and they smartened up and put in the effort to do it right again by the time I got mine.

I will keep an eye out for coolant leaks when I start driving my car again.
I put 8k miles on my car last year.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-28-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

So far over several threads going back years that I read before buying mine yours is the only negative experience I have read with this ECP radiator.
Must have been a bad batch or something getting 2 defective ones in a row , as no one else has reported these issues.

Not being critical here of your documented experience with this but since I have one of these (and recommended it to the OP) and all it needed was a minor bend the bottom hanger in on one side mod to narrow the space to fit the shroud to it I was wondering if anyone else here had these leaking problems?

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-28-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:40 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Spal dual 12 inch fans. 3200 cfm each. 16 tall, 28 wide and dual core Big End radiator. No efficiency data, the build is ongoing.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling

Quick Reply: Cooling