C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget C5Z TT Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS99
The spindle is not that thick for no reason... obviously rotation is just through the hub, and vertical loading is no biggie. That's not the majority of the loading that the spindle takes though. The grip from the tire at any point, hard lauch etc. transfers the rotational energy into a thrust load. That thrust load puts a hard bending moment on the spindle above and below the hub center. That's why the control arms are triangulated, to support forward and reverse thrust loads.

True, Ben the strength of the spindle is it's weakest point and now the fusion and weld cross section. I wouldn't say it's strong or stronger than it was before. If the spindle was forged/heat treated in original state, it has now been annealed and is weaker than before no matter what you do. For proper weld, you also need to know what the base material is..

The thought has definitely crossed my mind to mill a section out, dowel pin centers, and weld back shortened. But just can't get myself to take the risk. Op, I hope it works out for you since I know several of us have thought about doing that.

Is the stock spindle forged or heat treated in the first place???

Are a welder or weld inspector?

I usually leave welding up to guys that know alot more than me. Because I am neither of the above.

These guys trust welds in alot harsher environments and alot more stress than that spindle will ever see.

also when pipe and structures fail xray tests it's not the weld or seams it's the pipe that is usually below spec.

ever seen a cage after a crash? Did or do the welds fails?

I see this stuff on a daily basis and never understood why your average car car is worried about a weld failing of all things.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:46 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
Is the stock spindle forged or heat treated in the first place???

Are a welder or weld inspector?

I usually leave welding up to guys that know alot more than me. Because I am neither of the above.

These guys trust welds in alot harsher environments and alot more stress than that spindle will ever see.

also when pipe and structures fail xray tests it's not the weld or seams it's the pipe that is usually below spec.

ever seen a cage after a crash? Did or do the welds fails?

I see this stuff on a daily basis and never understood why your average car car is worried about a weld failing of all things.
Never claimed to know the grade aluminum, process, or any heat treatment of the stock spindles. Nor am I trying to start a pissing match. Was only noting that there is justifiable reason to exercise caution by modifying a suspension component on the driven end.

Yes, I can "weld". No, i'm not a weld inspector. I am an R&D engineer though, and responsible for developing products that go in a much harsher environment then that spindle or a roll cage. I have absolutely seen welds fail both across a seam, or tracking it through HAZ. There is no such thing as a perfect or perfectly clean weld.

-average car guy
Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS99
Never claimed to know the grade aluminum, process, or any heat treatment of the stock spindles. Nor am I trying to start a pissing match. Was only noting that there is justifiable reason to exercise caution by modifying a suspension component on the driven end.

Yes, I can "weld". No, i'm not a weld inspector. I am an R&D engineer though, and responsible for developing products that go in a much harsher environment then that spindle or a roll cage. I have absolutely seen welds fail both across a seam, or tracking it through HAZ. There is no such thing as a perfect or perfectly clean weld.

-average car guy
I beg to differ , I have been heliarc pipe welding for 22 years & have been in the union as a steam fitter & I weld
Daily on anything from stainless steel to aluminum to black iron carbon steel & have a ndt /non destructive testing lab test my Welds , they bend them /& they X-ray thse welds to b31.1 & b31.3 codes depending on what site I'm on & tolerance for the 31.1 is a 32nd of an inch in a 6 inch piece of pipe , so count how mAny times u go around it!, sch 40 ,3 times , that's 18 inches of weld , a root pass , a hot pass & a cap , with virtually no flaws , so yeS ,there is such thing as perfect weld ,according to the client who request 100 % X-ray on a fuel line or a steam line
Old 02-21-2015, 01:29 PM
SHADOW77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fsuforever
I beg to differ , I have been heliarc pipe welding for 22 years & have been in the union as a steam fitter & I weld
Daily on anything from stainless steel to aluminum to black iron carbon steel & have a ndt /non destructive testing lab test my Welds , they bend them /& they X-ray thse welds to b31.1 & b31.3 codes depending on what site I'm on & tolerance for the 31.1 is a 32nd of an inch in a 6 inch piece of pipe , so count how mAny times u go around it!, sch 40 ,3 times , that's 18 inches of weld , a root pass , a hot pass & a cap , with virtually no flaws , so yeS ,there is such thing as perfect weld ,according to the client who request 100 % X-ray on a fuel line or a steam line
There is no such thing as a perfect weld or machined part. It may be in tolerance according to your customer's print, but there's never anything perfect. I maybe be able to jig bore a hole within + or - .0001 but it'll never be perfectly round.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Originally Posted by SHADOW77
There is no such thing as a perfect weld or machined part. It may be in tolerance according to your customer's print, but there's never anything perfect. I maybe be able to jig bore a hole within + or - .0001 but it'll never be perfectly round.

Definition of the word perfect??

having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.

Sounds like if you make your hole with all desire elements and qualities and tolerances, and as round as possible.

It would by definition be perfect.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:49 PM
SHADOW77
Advanced

Definition of the word perfect??

having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.

Sounds like if you make your hole with all desire elements and qualities and tolerances, and as round as possible.

It would by definition be perfect.
No, it would meet the required tolerance. If your part is required to be flat within .001 and it's only flat .0005 is it perfect? No, it's not but it is in tolerance. There's a deviation in everything.

Back to the thread, nice to see someone build from scratch. Looks great!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

No, it would meet the required tolerance. If your part is required to be flat within .001 and it's only flat .0005 is it perfect? No, it's not but it is in tolerance. There's a deviation in everything.

Back to the thread, nice to see someone build from scratch. Looks great!

I'll say again. The definition of the word perfect is

Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 PM
SHADOW77
Advanced

I'll say again. The definition of the word perfect is

Lol, never mind.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:39 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Lol, never mind.
You're never going to win this one, even though I agree and think someone is missing the point.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:05 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Only on a Corvette forum do things go like this. Most builder sites, people will go with it and let it be. Modifying this type of stuff isn't something new or rocket science. I've seen guys weld in their 4 link with popcorn welds and blow the whole rearend off the car when they launch...it could be worse. You don't need xrays and all that bs. As soon as someone says Heliarc and then talks car fabrication in the same sentence... I move on...lol.

I'd been fabricating for about 4 years at the time of this story...was doing headers, cages, intake mani's, etc...you name it. I closed my first shop, and to fill time I decided to take on this precision TIG job. They tested all these steam guys who weld and pour heat into everything with these charred *** welds that they call "properly penetrated"...I suppose they are used to welding all this thick *** material, but who can't do that. At the weld test for the job I watched the Union pro's destroy test piece after test piece. I started to get worried...believing all this hype I'd been filled with by the one 25+ yr welder extraordinaire. My time comes up and I welded 3 of them and got hired on the spot without further testing. They said my first 3 were better than the guy who just quit after a year. I didnt' go to school...I bought a TIG and started going at it...fabricating my ***** off. I'll weld some control arms tomorrow and go 180mph on them without thinking twice. You must need an xray to know you're ****'s good.

Here comes the drama llama....lol.

Last edited by RC000E; 02-21-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

my fav was blowing my turbo v6 and becoming a member of the DOTC (drive over the crank) not a club I want to join again

dig the drama lama, that is a funny animal and totally appropriate
Old 02-22-2015, 04:46 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread has gone from cool to retarded...

If machined and welded correctly those spindles will be just as strong as they were before being cut up. Period...

As soon as I scare up a set of these I will do a write up on it. I plan to cut, machine, and dowel pin/key them, then weld them... And if someone wants to donate a pair, Ill do it and then put them in a 25 ton press and see if we can break the weld. I am willing to bet that the whole spindle bends or cracks before the weld breaks.

Bottom line, I think the OP had a great idea here.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:51 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Originally Posted by breecher_7
This thread has gone from cool to retarded...

If machined and welded correctly those spindles will be just as strong as they were before being cut up. Period...

As soon as I scare up a set of these I will do a write up on it. I plan to cut, machine, and dowel pin/key them, then weld them... And if someone wants to donate a pair, Ill do it and then put them in a 25 ton press and see if we can break the weld. I am willing to bet that the whole spindle bends or cracks before the weld breaks.

Bottom line, I think the OP had a great idea here.

Are you sure you are in the right place??

These guys don't like that kind of first hand results and data..
Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Are you sure you are in the right place??

These guys don't like that kind of first hand results and data..

I got one pair of c6 and one pair of c5.

I could send them both to you if we could work out a deal on you doing a set for me too.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:57 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got one pair of c6 and one pair of c5.

I could send them both to you if we could work out a deal on you doing a set for me too.
PM me with what you have in mind.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM
boostedcatfish
Instructor

The lambo forum is the same way when people try to do something different or build something they "can't"
they all think that you can change the oil on those cars with out a dealer tech.
There is a guy build a TT build and you would think the world was ending.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by boostedcatfish
The lambo forum is the same way when people try to do something different or build something they "can't"
they all think that you can change the oil on those cars with out a dealer tech.
There is a guy build a TT build and you would think the world was ending.
Not comparing a BMW to Lambo... but same thing on the newer BMW forums. I rebuilt the engine out of an E60 (the V8 Alusil engine, which uses aluminum cylinders..) and everyone thought I was insane. It ran just fine though

Underneath it all they all work the same.. just different ways of getting there

Get notified of new replies

To Budget C5Z TT Build

Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM
JIMS SVT
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just searching the forum two days ago trying to see if anyone has modified there spindles this way. I was wanting to do his too.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fsuforever
Great! So you can help us all and tell us what the perfect material is and the perfect welding process for this unknown material!!
In for the winning answers!

Great work OP. Can't wait to see the results. Hoping you get some awesome kill vids while you're at it.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 02-25-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted to do this also (but chickend out and bought LG)....glad someone is going to try it.

My only question is geometry, and verifying it dynamically ??

Instant center
Anti-squat
Toe
Camber
Caster

I believe all that changes when you move the control arm locations on a IRS setup.

Not 100% sure....but I think LG moved both ends (upper & lower attach points) to keep the geometry "as correct as possible".

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 02-27-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Budget C5Z TT Build