C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys that drag race 6 speed cars and have gone to Iron Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:32 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Guys that drag race 6 speed cars and have gone to Iron Blocks

I'm running an iron block in my new setup. I've never launched any of my vettes with the added 60-80 pounds up front on the nose. I'd rather have a mid/upper 9 second car in street trim instead of swapping to a drag pack to run a decent number.

Any guys have 6 speed experience swapping directly from an aluminum block to an iron block with no real adjustments? How does it feel lifting a midget sitting on the nose of your car after the swap?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:55 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
I'm running an iron block in my new setup. I've never launched any of my vettes with the added 60-80 pounds up front on the nose. I'd rather have a mid/upper 9 second car in street trim instead of swapping to a drag pack to run a decent number.

Any guys have 6 speed experience swapping directly from an aluminum block to an iron block with no real adjustments? How does it feel lifting a midget sitting on the nose of your car after the swap?
Not an apples to apples comparison for me because I went from 620rwhp aluminum block combo to a 850+HP iron combo with a TON of midrange torque.... But my iron block combo was considerably easier to launch.. Now it did spin way more so that was harder to control, but all of the additional torque/HP, I was able to be very easy off the line, let the clutch go and let the power do the work. 1.56 60's was the average for me.

I never got under a 1.68 60' with the low HP, aluminum block combo, atleast without really dropping the clutch and breaking an axle..(which I eventuslly did).

Point is, you are not going to notice the difference in launching the aluminum block combo to the iron combo since you'll have more HP/TQ to pull it. You may have a bit less weight transfer but, with your car as low as it is, it probably wouldn't matter anyway.

Get you some of your tried and true 295/45 MTs and let it eat.

Or use my drag pack and knock 2 tenths off your ET.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Thanks Alan. I'm not changing power too much. Maybe 50hp or so. I'm sure Billy at Comp Sales will cut me a killer deal on my trusty old 295's. I've got a picture in there somewhere launching.

My 60ft's didn't really improve but much with 600-800rwhp on my C6 with aluminum blocks. I might take you up on borrowing your tires. Just worried about getting shakey on the top end��.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Thanks Alan. I'm not changing power too much. Maybe 50hp or so. I'm sure Billy at Comp Sales will cut me a killer deal on my trusty old 295's. I've got a picture in there somewhere launching.

My 60ft's didn't really improve but much with 600-800rwhp on my C6 with aluminum blocks. I might take you up on borrowing your tires. Just worried about getting shakey on the top end��.

Naw mine is straight as an arrow at 160 mph... No weave, no nothing..

However my 28s are not a good match for your MN12 trans.. After you shift from 3rd to 4th on the 28s it will take a big dump. I gained 12 mph going from 28s on stock wheels to 26s on the CCWs with no other changes. I can show you vids of the back half pull from the 28s to 26s and it's no comparison.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:52 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Thanks Alan. I'd kind of like to run the 295's for comparison sake since it' what I ran on my C6. Just to see where the car is at MPH wise compared to the C6. I don't have MN12 gearing. It's an RPM built T56 with base gearing.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:55 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I went from a nitrous 416 with autocross suspension to a twin turbo stock lq4 shortblock. Then switched to coilovers all around. On same suspension it was hard to compare because nitrous came on at 3k rpms and the car just pulled. With turbos the car has so much more instant hp/tq than nitrous that sometimes I have to pedal to keep the tires from blowing due to crap tracks around me. Ofcourse I snapped my rpm trans output shaft at the last track outting too. But that trans took 7 years of fun driving.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Thanks Joey. I've really got nothing new to the setup like you did, except weight. It's not like I have a lot of seat time in the car, just curious with guys that swapped on the same power adder.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd be currious what you think Mark, after you do the swap. I don't think you will notice a real difference as the different weight of various vehicles could be just as much, being that is only about 80lbs for just a block swap. Only real thing would be placement fo the weight really. subscribed
Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I am not much of a drag racer but I did the aluminum to iron block and did not notice any real difference in how the car drove or performed. I am on stock suspension with c6z shocks. My car hooks from a 40 roll with a 200 shot and 735 foot lbs of torque to the wheels.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by inspector12
I'd be currious what you think Mark, after you do the swap. I don't think you will notice a real difference as the different weight of various vehicles could be just as much, being that is only about 80lbs for just a block swap. Only real thing would be placement fo the weight really. subscribed
Thank you, Jeff. I know you're not much of a drag racer anymore, but maybe you and a few locals I know can help me get the suspension dialed in if you're hanging out at the track. Car is full Pfadt coilovers, full RPM driveline. But quite honestly, it's way out of wack when I drove it strait in to town 900 miles directly to HMP. Now the weight will make it a challenge. I won't ever be able to keep up with you all down the highway, but just looking to run a decent number. I take your knowledge with these cars seriously.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:34 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Thank you, Jeff. I know you're not much of a drag racer anymore, but maybe you and a few locals I know can help me get the suspension dialed in if you're hanging out at the track. Car is full Pfadt coilovers, full RPM driveline. But quite honestly, it's way out of wack when I drove it strait in to town 900 miles directly to HMP. Now the weight will make it a challenge. I won't ever be able to keep up with you all down the highway, but just looking to run a decent number. I take your knowledge with these cars seriously.
Man thanks for the compliment bro. I don't know everything, but what I do know I alway give the information freely. And yeah I haven't been doing any serious drag racing in a while. Well atleast at the track. I've done more on the street, but even then its been limited as most just arent wanting to stop and take the added chance the police might show up etc... And if they do its usually cause they want to earn a little extra cash or so they think in most cases. But for sure I'll look at it and help you if I can.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

No problem Jeff. You've always shot me strait years ago when Bill and myself were working on my C6, then you lending me a stock balancer and coming over to double pin my crank. That C6 with a Novi 1500 and a 118lsa cam I speced ran hard for #3600+ pounds, when others had doubts.

That car was all factory. I rolled this car out strait from a 900 mile drive with 19 inch tires/subwoofers and luggage and trapped 114mph in the 1/8 on pump 91 and no meth. I've got a feeling I can drive it with minimal seat time. Bill takes as much credit as I do for still holding my C6 (non Z06/ZR1) record. This motor won't get me there, but it's a stepping stone. If this TMS holds up, I'd like to go back for a 950rwhp 402/416 and shoot for the record. I don't mind sending the car over to your shop and paying for tweaks after this spring once Mikey gets done tuning it. I'll never show up to the warehouse with an ego to run. I've been out too long and don't have your expertise to keep up with ya'll. But I'm not too shabby at the strip.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Any other dig racers with 6 speeds and iron blocks?

Get notified of new replies

To Guys that drag race 6 speed cars and have gone to Iron Blocks

Quick Reply: Guys that drag race 6 speed cars and have gone to Iron Blocks