C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Default A&A intercooler

Just wanted some thoughts on how much the A&A intercooler flows? I'm talking about the generation before the current ram air version. Im maxing out a ysi and find my peak power on the Dyno comes in a little early and falls off a bit to hard. Just wondering if it just can't flow enough to support a maxed out ysi. I'm making the switch to a water / air setup and wondering how much extra psi I'll pick up if any?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

maybe u should contact ECS for a real intercooler
Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by c5mtl
Just wanted some thoughts on how much the A&A intercooler flows? I'm talking about the generation before the current ram air version. Im maxing out a ysi and find my peak power on the Dyno comes in a little early and falls off a bit to hard. Just wondering if it just can't flow enough to support a maxed out ysi. I'm making the switch to a water / air setup and wondering how much extra psi I'll pick up if any?
I had an early generation A&A intercooler, (the small square one that lays back at an angle) that I ran for a year and made 900rwhp thru at 22 psi of boost. I eventually swapped to the A&A Ram Air intercooler with the Bell core and I had exactly the same amount of boost (255-258 kpa), exactly the same IATs. The mph was better at the track but I had swapped to an auto around the same time and that's what picked up the mph.

I literally saw no difference in swapping intercoolers at my level, and my car still runs just as hot with the ram air intercooler even though it provides a bit more gap between the IC and condenser.

The ram air intercooler is a nice piece for sure, but I don't feel its any better then anything else....nor is the HUGE ECS intercooler.

Now if you were pushing a TON of air flow like an F1X or F2, then I think you would be better off going to a 3.5" or 4" intercooler core with bigger tanks etc etc...

Not saying you won't gain anything but... It was an $1100 experiment that netted me nothing.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blown81bu
maybe u should contact ECS for a real intercooler
Lets see the numbers before you start that stuff... LOL......

When is that thing getting together ?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Louis... you know what I think but I am super curious to see how the water/air works out.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Louis... you know what I think but I am super curious to see how the water/air works out.
I think he can gain some power with the water to air if the core and piping are big enough.....Not sure how much but its worth something.... Then when he puts a big blower on it, he will be set..

Blown81Bu hasn't made it past his 1.28 60' to see if his IC is better or not...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I think he can gain some power with the water to air if the core and piping are big enough.....Not sure how much but its worth something.... Then when he puts a big blower on it, he will be set..

Blown81Bu hasn't made it past his 1.28 60' to see if his IC is better or not...
I am actually surprised you didn't gain anything with the bigger intercooler.
Don't need a bigger blower.... plenty there for a street car.

Paul is still polishing his new 2200R ......
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

The biggest reason I'm going to air water is I'm done mixing fuels at the track....track fuel will be c16 and that's it.no guessing what afr's are safe ,how much meth am I spraying , are my Iat's real?? Screw that!! If it's good for 10.5 cars it's good for me . I also want to have real low iat not false reading generated by meth. I don't see many race cars if any running a/a coolers at the track so water/air and a big ice box here I come. As far as everyday driving which my car barely sees I'm sure Turing down the timing and still using meth along with a semi effective water only system on the street still gives me a pretty safe setup.
Jody...I'm just trying to make sense of my Dyno vs yours...similar setup...I have way more pulley and more cam ,similar heads and similar cubes.....why did my peak and fall off? Or are just incomplete Dyno pulls confusing me?? Car sure went well at the track!!

Last edited by c5mtl; 02-26-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Yeah. I know. The water/air should be great for the track. They dyno... Dunno. Maybe something with your converter being unlocked, but I always thought that would skew torque, not HP. Maybe mine would fall off too with the small pulley? Too much? I really don't know. I looked today at yours and it really falls off quick. Got to be an explanation cause the car sure performs !!!
c5mtl
Drifting

I had an early generation A&A intercooler, (the small square one that lays back at an angle) that I ran for a year and made 900rwhp thru at 22 psi of boost. I eventually swapped to the A&A Ram Air intercooler with the Bell core and I had exactly the same amount of boost (255-258 kpa), exactly the same IATs. The mph was better at the track but I had swapped to an auto around the same time and that's what picked up the mph.

I literally saw no difference in swapping intercoolers at my level, and my car still runs just as hot with the ram air intercooler even though it provides a bit more gap between the IC and condenser.

The ram air intercooler is a nice piece for sure, but I don't feel its any better then anything else....nor is the HUGE ECS intercooler.

Now if you were pushing a TON of air flow like an F1X or F2, then I think you would be better off going to a 3.5" or 4" intercooler core with bigger tanks etc etc...

Not saying you won't gain anything but... It was an $1100 experiment that netted me nothing.
but not even considering another a/a intercooler
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

The biggest reason I'm going to air water is I'm done mixing fuels at the track....track fuel will be c16 and I also want to have real low iat not false reading generated by meth. I don't see many race cars if any running a/a coolers at the track so water/air and a big ice box here I come. As far as everyday driving which my car barely sees I'm sure Turing down the timing and still using meth for along with a semi effective water only system the street still gives me pretty safe setup. Jody...I'm just trying to make sense of my Dyno vs yours...similar setup...I have way more pulley and more cam ,similar heads and similar cubes.....why did my peak and fall off? Or are just incomplete Dyno pulls confusing me?? Car sure went well at the track!!
That's all that matters man.... Your car runs pretty well and still has more in it. I think the water to air/ice will help you at the track for sure.

Dyno numbers are all BS anyway.. Unless you both dynoed on the same dyno, the same day.... You can't compare them.

When you are seeing these cars trapping 145mph with 700 rwhp... Then you know they are doing something...Cars going 145 mph with 800 rwhp, not so much...

I've seen a ton of 1000rwhp cars barely break 150 mph.....
Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Yeah. I know. The water/air should be great for the track. They dyno... Dunno. Maybe something with your converter being unlocked, but I always thought that would skew torque, not HP. Maybe mine would fall off too with the small pulley? Too much? I really don't know. I looked today at yours and it really falls off quick. Got to be an explanation cause the car sure performs !!!
Like I told you today...bullet cams thinks my 1.8 ratio rockers are causing the early peaks ....I just don't know enough to understand why
Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

That's all that matters man.... Your car runs pretty well and still has more in it. I think the water to air/ice will help you at the track for sure.

Dyno numbers are all BS anyway.. Unless you both dynoed on the same dyno, the same day.... You can't compare them.

When you are seeing these cars trapping 145mph with 700 rwhp... Then you know they are doing something...Cars going 145 mph with 800 rwhp, not so much...car was tuned by same guy same Dyno differnt days...I'll post the up

I've seen a ton of 1000rwhp cars barely break 150 mph.....

So I guess doing 157 and blowing off my intake pipe just past the 1000foot and cracking my hood is good
Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I agree that dyno numbers don't mean a fast car at the track, but they are tools of measurement.
They are similar setups and on the same dyno., so should be somewhat comparable although not exactly.

Louis, I have 1.8 rockers also so not sure I buy that. Maybe the cam?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Anyways. I don't know. Going to watch street outlaws now and dream that winter is ending.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Like I told you today...bullet cams thinks my 1.8 ratio rockers are causing the early peaks ....I just don't know enough to understand why
Valve train instability? Early stages of valve float? How early is it nosing over?

Care to divulge the cam specs?

I just had BTR custom grind me a cam for 402", decent heads and a maxed out 1800 cfm blower. I told him I wanted it to peak at 6500 and hold to 7200.... He pretty much told me it wasn't going to happen running a stock style composite intake....especially with a cathedral port. He said it may peak at 6500, but it will start to nose over before 7k... How much is the question.

FYI, he spec'd me a 239/251*, .625"/.600", 115+4.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Valve train instability? Early stages of valve float? How early is it nosing over?

I just had BTR custom grind me a cam for 402", decent heads and a maxed out 1800 cfm blower. I told him I wanted it to peak at 6500 and hold to 7200.... He pretty much told me it wasn't going to happen running a stock style composite intake....especially with a cathedral port. He said it may peak at 6500, but it will start to nose over before 7k... How much is the question.

239/254 623 615 116 installed at 112 trick flow 225 340cfm

Last edited by c5mtl; 02-26-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A intercooler

Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I am also a 402 with cathedral heads. I don't know where mine will roll over because we only went to 6400. Maybe do a higher pull next time. As you can see it definitely was still climbing there at 983. This on 17.5 lbs.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Lets see the numbers before you start that stuff... LOL......

When is that thing getting together ?

well picking up engine tomorow and starting to install sunday so wont be long all moves foward

Loius car is very fast at the track all that counts forget the dyno

i guess we can compare all our sheets since were all similar combo and same dynapack dyno

Last edited by blown81bu; 02-26-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blown81bu
well picking up engine tomorow and starting to install sunday so wont be long all moves foward

Loius car is very fast at the track all that counts forget the dyno
Cool.. .. yes... its fast and that's what counts for sure.

239/254 623 615 116 installed at 112

Louis, something just struck me seeing the dyno sheets together. Not talking about why yours rolls over but about the comparison. It has to be something with the converter or trans because look at the MPH. Yours is much higher. I am going to ask Seth about that tomorrow.

Quick Reply: A&A intercooler