C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best C5 Z06 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 PM
06venom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best C5 Z06 Supercharger

I know this has been covered a thousand times but what does everyone think the best supercharger for an 04 Z06 is? I've read a lot of old posts but wanted to see what people are thinking now. I bought the care used with a cam, head work, Long tubes, and full exhaust. I got it from a specialty car dealer so I don't know exactly what all is done. I'm putting in a built trans with a stage 3 clutch now so I thought since I have the car down now is the perfect time to add a supercharger. I have an o6 srt10 ram with a procharger doing over 1,000 hp but it don't look like a lot of people are running prochargers. Just looking for some help with what's best on the C5 Z06.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:12 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Oh lawd.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:14 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Oh lawd.

I think the ECS kit is great, and I would purchase again. That being said I never used an A&A kit so can't give you any feedback.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:29 PM
06venom
Advanced

It seems like this always starts a big debate and I'm sorry about that but I'm new to the corvette community and just looking for help from everyone's past experience.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 06venom
It seems like this always starts a big debate and I'm sorry about that but I'm new to the corvette community and just looking for help from everyone's past experience.
A&A and ECS are the most common kits used here.. people are usually adamant about one or the other being superior. I think that's because most are happy with either.

ECS uses a restrictor plate design that is supposed to make more torque at lower RPM's without over boosting a stock engine up top, so personally I think that is a plus. Some say that using a restrictor plate is harder on the blower and can cause a failure (I have not heard of any failures, but just trying to say both sides)

I don't own the A&A kit so I can't really speak to it. I would be 100% confident in saying A&A's service is great.. if you called them right now you would likely get the owner of the company, even on a weekend.

I have nothing bad to say about A&A, I just have no personal experience with their kit.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM
06venom
Advanced

I did see that A&A and ECS are the popular kits on here but is that because of cost or are they just the best. I don't see many people using procharger, is there a reason for that? I really like my procharger on my SRT10.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:46 PM
RED02Z
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the A&A kit and im completely happy with it. Cant speak about the ECS but Im sure its a great kit as well. Flip a coin.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:56 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I did see that A&A and ECS are the popular kits on here but is that because of cost or are they just the best. I don't see many people using procharger, is there a reason for that? I really like my procharger on my SRT10.
I believe they are better.. but I have no evidence to back that up, so I probably shouldn't go around saying that.

I know the base ECS kit has made over 800rwhp.. so it's no slouch.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

My A&A kit is awesome and also very quiet, you can't even hear the head unit jet turbine type noise from inside the car.
550 hp 510 ft/lb tq on a stock engine with longtubes, dynotune and 8lbs boost.
I also recirculated the BOV into the intake as I couldn't stand the constant tshing noise from it between shifts
To me after spending 8k installed the BOV noise devalued a luxury street car but I may be the only one here who doesn't want to hear a BOV making (to me) unwanted, unnecessary noise going off all the time
Now it's as quiet as a factory SC car

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-28-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 PM
06venom
Advanced

I have to be honest with you, I love the sound of a loud supercharger. I like people to hear it. That's why I have Billy boat bullets on the car.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

I have to be honest with you, I love the sound of a loud supercharger. I like people to hear it. That's why I have Billy boat bullets on the car.
I can't say if the ECS head unit is louder than the A&A Vortech but the BOVs are probably the same.
I read somewhere that Procharger head units have straight cut gears that are noisy.
Perhaps someone can chime in.
You can make and add a trumpet to the BOV and make the noise exit out the bodywork somewhere underneath in a way that it won't get wet if you want it really loud to scare the pets and the children

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-28-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
I can't say if the ECS head unit is louder than the A&A Vortech but the BOVs are probably the same.
I read somewhere that Procharger head units have straight cut gears that are noisy.
Perhaps someone can chime in.
You can make and add a trumpet to the BOV and make the noise exit out the bodywork somewhere underneath in a way that it won't get wet if you want it really loud to scare the pets and the children
I know ECS has the option of a Tial BOV which is supposedly pretty loud.. I have one but don't have anything to compare it to. It seems pretty loud though.. quite a bit of air coming out of that thing

Head unit wise I doubt either are very loud. I know the ECS one isn't very loud. A slight whine at certain speeds but nothing all that noticeable
Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

I have a Tial valve.
It was pretty noisy before I recirculated it into the air filter plenum.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
BlownbudderZ
Navigator

Default Ordered an A&A, great service, installing next weekend

I am going to install double fuel pump setup and clutch first.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlownbudderZ

Ordered an A&A, great service, installing next weekend

I am going to install double fuel pump setup and clutch first.
If you cut and reweld the pads on the rad cradle lower instead of using the supplied spacer bushings you can keep your stock ground clearance while having the rad lowered as is required to install the A&A kit air intake.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:05 PM
BlownbudderZ
Navigator

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
If you cut and reweld the pads on the rad cradle lower instead of using the supplied spacer bushings you can keep your stock ground clearance while having the rad lowered as is required to install the A&A kit air intake.

Awesome!! It's already lowered so that will help
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlownbudderZ
Awesome!! It's already lowered so that will help
Install the kit and get the rad positioned right with the bushings which are about 1 1/4" then remove the cradle which is easy and does not require removing the rad.

My car is stock height and it scraped a lot over small stuff so lowered car plus 1 1/4" less ground clearance is

Cut the pads off with a cutoff tool and tack them in 2 places as lightly as possible about 1 1/2" inches lower like in the pic.
Put the cradle back in without the bushings and check that the pads are in the right position.
Adjust and bend if necessary till it's good if you didn't get it right the first time (ask me how I know ) then remove the cradle again and weld the pads up permanently.
You'll have just enough room for clearing the hose that goes into the intercooler from the passenger side if you look carefully at the second picture.
Enjoy

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 03-01-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best C5 Z06 Supercharger

Quick Reply: Best C5 Z06 Supercharger