C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 03 V1-S Trim Z06, making 620rwhp would you add meth or nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:56 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBlownZ06
Thanks man you have been super helpful, soo do you recommend I use it as an IAT temp reducer and not as octane booster? Do I run 100% meth or do a 50/50 mix with water???
Unfortunately, you don't get to pick. It will do both. 100% meth will burn. Most of us that run it do 100% there is a few threads on here where the topic of 100% vs mixed gets pretty intense. There are pros and cons to each. I personally run 100%.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
The problem with meth is it carries less BTU than E85, which means you need more to make the same boom. Spraying into the charge pipe is not really ideal for cylinder distribution. Everyone does it, and it works, but it's still a band-aid.

Richen up your WOT and don't worry about IATs, the power will be there trust me. I see over 170* IATs on the dyno, I don't even care though because everything is getting cooled down in the combustion chamber.

When I was newer to tuning I read the same thing as MVP Z06 regarding the Supra guys using E85 + meth. If you notice that post is from a long time ago when people were newer to E85 and didn't fully understand how to make power off of it.

Bottom line is you don't need meth, spend that money on something else. The LSx community (generally) is very far behind the curve when it comes to using modern methods of making power. In a few years you will not see anyone running meth that has access to E85.

Edit: I would read up on YellowBullet regarding E85, there are some really intelligent people there who very helpful if you ask the right questions.
Wow....It just never seems to make sense does it? Meth heads will always be stuck on meth it will never change. E85-E98 (many years of it for me and never any meth, dont need it period.) If I was still into this horsepower addiction id be E98 period never anything else on a blown application but never a meth kit on anything vs racing fuel or e85+, cause when the pump fails...and it will.....
Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
Wow....It just never seems to make sense does it? Meth heads will always be stuck on meth it will never change. E85-E98 (many years of it for me and never any meth, dont need it period.) If I was still into this horsepower addiction id be E98 period never anything else on a blown application but never a meth kit on anything vs racing fuel or e85+, cause when the pump fails...and it will.....
Fuel injectors and fuel pumps for that matter fail too. If you are lucky they fail completely rather than suffer from a reduced level of performance

I guess it's a risk we all take doing anything that these vehicles and their components power trains and engine management systems were not designed to do.

I personally love the performance benefit that can be had from heavily ethanol enriched fuels. In fact, I'm probably going to make the jump my self soon.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:11 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Fuel injectors and fuel pumps for that matter fail too. If you are lucky they fail completely rather than suffer from a reduced level of performance

I guess it's a risk we all take doing anything that these vehicles and their components power trains and engine management systems were not designed to do.

I personally love the performance benefit that can be had from heavily ethanol enriched fuels. In fact, I'm probably going to make the jump my self soon.
Agreed, pros and cons on every power adder out there. Find what you are comfortable with and go for it.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

A good meth system, such as Alky Control, installed properly, has no greater chance of failure than any other component on the car. I've run their system on my personal car for 8 years without failure and so have many others. Made 1021RWHP with it and pump gas on a cheap iron 403 setup. Ran it for 2 years before a valve guide came loose and caused a valve to break and I lost that motor. I have dozens of forum friends running meth with great success. The only time you end up with real distribution issues is when you spray too much. Once meth changes phase, it goes where the air goes.
Those of us with many years of experience running a properly installed Alky Control system will tell you it's no more a bandaid than any other add on to the car. To reiterate what Mike was saying: there are many parts that can fail and bring your engine to its knees. One injector, your fuel pump or even fuel filter getting clogged. We do what we can to mitigate the issues and enjoy our cars.

When I say without failure, a properly done Alky Control system includes scheduled maintenance. Every 3 years or so, regardless of actual run time, you need to send the pump in and have it gone through. Methanol is chemically quite rough and the seals won't last forever. Rebuilding the pump is no different than any other planned maintenance on the car and costs less than 100.00 to do. That's almost comparable to taking your car in for a synthetic oil change.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Plus...

Julio (Alky control owner) is so easy to deal with when it comes to service. I've never had an issue with his customer service. He always responds to emails and gets your stuff in and out as quick as possible.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Julio has considered a brushless pump??
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 PM
MrH00nel2
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Run meth and keep it as pure as possible. 98-100%.

You will gain power and lower iat
Old 10-22-2015, 12:59 AM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks man you have been super helpful, soo do you recommend I use it as an IAT temp reducer and not as octane booster? Do I run 100% meth or do a 50/50 mix with water???
Soo I'm in the market for a meth kit now, need it to reduce iat's

Last edited by RedBlownZ06; 10-22-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Why do you think you need to reduce IATs? Are you still running E85?
Old 10-24-2015, 12:15 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Milan
Why do you think you need to reduce IATs? Are you still running E85?

The following Seems like a legit reason to run meth!

140 was the highest I saw on the dyno

Old 10-24-2015, 05:56 AM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
The following Seems like a legit reason to run meth!

Well I've upgraded to a bigger head unit, I am now on a v2 T trim making 732hp on e85. It's on a 3.33" 8 rib pulley seeing 16 psi. On the wot pulls 6,800-7,000 I'm seeing 190* temps. Really high temps so I'm wanting to lower that by using meth to cool down the charge temps. Should be a more efficient running car and maybe even pick up some hp.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:37 PM
cmiller8006
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I run e85 and will be adding a meth kit to my car. Iat's are 200 degrees at the quarter. And that's in the charge pipe, who knows what the actual intake temp in the intake are.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:07 AM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

???

Quick Reply: E85 03 V1-S Trim Z06, making 620rwhp would you add meth or nitrous