C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Innovators West 10 rib balancer issue??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Ksths2
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Innovators West 10 rib balancer issue??

Hey guys,
Long story as short as possible, working on finishing up my new YSI 408 build and it has a Callies crank with a keyway in place. I got a 3/16” key to fit the crank and 10 rib IW blower pulley really well. I installed the pulley, torqued it to 130 ft lbs and now the engine doesn’t turn over…….

The engine was professionally built and turned over easily before the balancer was installed and I installed the bigger crank seal for the bigger hub that’s on the IW pulley and I can see that the backside of the pulley is NOT hitting the front of the timing cover so that only leaves 1 thing that it must be hitting the floating collar in the oil pump correct?

Before I installed the pulley, I measured the smaller OD of the hub that slides into the oil pump that bottoms against the main oil pump keyed drive collar and that matched an OEM C5 pulley but the overall OD of that hub is obviously a lot bigger diameter so I’m thinking that part must be hitting the oil pump case?

If it is how in the hell do I fix that considering if I space it out that will throw off the belt alighnment for all the rest of pulleys?

I am going to remove the pulley tonight and check things out but wanted to see what you guys thought first.

Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had to grind a chamfer on the end of the balancer to keep it from having an interference problem with the oil pump cover plate. When you pull it off, it should be obvious that was the issue if you've turned the motor over much at all.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Ksths2
Pro

Blown,
I found an old thread of a "Cracked hub" from a couple of guys and this exact subject popped up in that that thread as well. It looks like the issue is due to the double roller timing chain spacers that it spaces the oil pump out, in return makes the pulley bottom out on the pump.
My engine didn't turn over at all and it was one of those deals I luckily realized something was wrongs and stopped before i did any damage.
My question is now, wonder do I take the hub out of the balancer to machine it to fit or ship it back to IW?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Ksths2
Pro

FYI here is the fast response from Innovators West
Yes on cars with an aftermarket oil pump or a spaced out factory pump, the relief on the end of the damper hub will need to be increased to clear the pump body. The damper will need to be removed and then with some calipers you will need to measure from the front of the oil pump drive gear/timing gear to the front edge of the oil pump. The relief on the back of the hub will need to be increased to that measurement taken plus .050” to give adequate clearance to the pump body. If the damper is sent back here in house we can perform that modification for you or if you have a competent machinist locally that can mount the entire damper up in the lathe, dial it in and perform that machining, that may be an option as well. Unfortunately the hub is pressed into the case of the damper so it should not be removed from the damper.

So this is still assuming this is my issue but I'll update on all this tomorrow after I remove the balancer and see..... stay tuned!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can machine the hub for you for free if you want to ship me the balancer and how much you want removed... Just let me know if you need some help.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:27 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
I can machine the hub for you for free if you want to ship me the balancer and how much you want removed... Just let me know if you need some help.
dam what a great guy..need more of u on here

off op thanx for the rack spacers worked out great

great post on this subject..goodluck with your 408ysi build!!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Ksths2
Pro

thanks guys I really appreciate it!!
I've got access to a lathe and I can do it as well, I'll report back the results
Old 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I had my 8-rib IW balancer cleared another .130" to match the clearance I put on my ASP underdrive pulley that was mounted on the crank snout. I'm running a dual Rollmaster with the 3 mm oil pump spacers.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Patches
I had my 8-rib IW balancer cleared another .130" to match the clearance I put on my ASP underdrive pulley that was mounted on the crank snout. I'm running a dual Rollmaster with the 3 mm oil pump spacers.

Dam that is one hell of a balancer!!!

Must be another killer ECS part
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I just pulled my balancer and jack shaft pulley to get it done.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 03-31-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:02 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by blown81bu
Dam that is one hell of a balancer!!!

Must be another killer ECS part
Yep - ECS-modified. I polished it after.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Very nice bud..did mine too..thanx for the help w my build..
Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

That's awesome! I'm lovin' it!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Ksths2
Pro

Update: I bolted the puller onto the front of the dampner and as soon as it pulled it a fraction of an inch the crank turned, I removed it, and timing cover and checked it all out, the oil pump seems to be fine with no cracks or obvious issues.
I then measured from the face of the Melling pump to the oil pump drive collar and it was .353 then added the .050 per IW and it comes out to be .403" would be the correct relief. I measured the current relief but I can't remember what it is.
Anyway no one around here has a 6 jaw chuck so after talking with Chris I sent it back to IW today. TBD how it'll turn out but I'm hoping for the best
A+ on customer service from them!!!

BTW "Blown81" is that an 8 or 10 rib you have pictured cuz my looks different than that. I'm assuming ECS did the cog accessory for you? (Looks great!)

Last edited by Ksths2; 04-01-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:35 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have a machine shop with a 6 jaw locally? That is all I use aside from 4 jaw independent chucks and I really only use those if I'm threading or crowning firearm barrels. 3 jaw chucks suck.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Ksths2
Pro

Lol nope, 1 I'm in BFE Iowa and 2 all the nice machining equipment like that won't do "side jobs" blah blah blah

Get notified of new replies

To Innovators West 10 rib balancer issue??

Quick Reply: Innovators West 10 rib balancer issue??