C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A vs ECS blower kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:05 AM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A&A vs ECS blower kits

I'm going to be ordering either an A&A or an ECS kit soon and I will be using a Novi 1500 head on whichever. I am new to supercharging and have not been able to "eye ball" these kits in person. And, before you flame me, - yes, I've searched the net, read and gone to the vendors sites for info.

My problem is I don't understand the basic differences in these two kits, especially the way they mount the radiator and the intercooler. Do both either lower or lay down the radiator? Are the intercoolers basically the same? Is there a major difference between the two or is it a toss up. Please chime in with your kit preferences and reasons. This will help me decide on a direction.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't help you with all your questions, I have the Novi2000 from 07'. What I will say, since you already know you want a ECS blower, why would you not buy a ECS package? I realize the importance of opinions from the forum, but have you spoken to the kit designers yet? I don't see any real reason not to use the entire package designed by the guys who build them, race them, and use them daily.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM
BURL
Pro

Default A&A vs ECS

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
I can't help you with all your questions, I have the Novi2000 from 07'. What I will say, since you already know you want a ECS blower, why would you not buy a ECS package? I realize the importance of opinions from the forum, but have you spoken to the kit designers yet? I don't see any real reason not to use the entire package designed by the guys who build them, race them, and use them daily.
Thanks for the reply even though you can't help me with my question.? The reason I posed this question is the 1500 head can be used with either the A&A or ECS. To some people it's makes sense to just jump into the full ECS kit BUT the A&A kit may have substantial advantages or in fact it may have disadvantages. I don't know. If you reread my post I have specifically addresses the radiator positioning and the intercooler.

So rather than jump into the ECS I've asked knowledgeable guys who have experience with these kits and that CAN answer my question to help me decide if either is superior to the other.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Both kits will effortlessly make 900+whp with a YSI/2200R in their 8 rib configurations.

Both kits are well engineered and perform very well. Their are small pros and cons to both kits.

As you are interested in running a novi 1500, either kit will work just fine for your power goals. The ECS kit does offer easier belt changes, but if a belt id aligned properly it will last years anyways. Ive seen both tensioners break in high horsepower applications.
(900+whp, 10 rib drive)

To me, it would boil down to what you can get the best deal on as you cant go wrong with either kit.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

the ecs kit uses an aftermarket cradle that not only lowers the radiator/condenser/intercooler but it also tilts everything back towards the motor while the a&a kit uses spacers to lower the factory cradle straight down... you can also just use your factory cradle and have the mounting tabs cut off and rewelded in a lower position that way you aren't losing any ground clearance but have room for your inlet to clear... ecs now supplies all of their kits with a much smaller intercooler, it is the same one found in all of their c6 kits... to my knowledge the original intercooler is now an upgrade but it doesn't seem like many people are aware of that when they buy their kit... the a&a intercooler is boxed in which forces the air through it while the ecs has no framing around it so air is free to move around it instead of through it... both have a 3" inlet and I believe a&a has a 3" outlet while ecs uses a 4" outlet
Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Here we go again. Some like the ECS, Some like the A&A. Both are great kits.

I have an A&A kit on my Z and am very happy with it. I have installed both kits.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Here we go again. Some like the ECS, Some like the A&A. Both are great kits.

I have an A&A kit on my Z and am very happy with it. I have installed both kits.
I appreciate you taking the time to post but how does your post help me?? I am aware of the quality of the kits. But if you will reread my initial post I am asking for information from experienced users about generalities as well as some specific areas. Not trying to be an a$$ but if you have to start a post with "here we go again" and then contribute nothing then I really don't understand why you are here unless you just had an extreme urge to type.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think what was meant above is that there are many threads on this same topic if you care to look. The subject has been beaten to death with always the same results. Both kits are good.
Resist the urge to type and search and read instead.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:29 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BURL
I appreciate you taking the time to post but how does your post help me?? I am aware of the quality of the kits. But if you will reread my initial post I am asking for information from experienced users about generalities as well as some specific areas. Not trying to be an a$$ but if you have to start a post with "here we go again" and then contribute nothing then I really don't understand why you are here unless you just had an extreme urge to type.
You just called one of the most politefull, experienced wrenches and drivers on here an a$$. The reason you won't get a response is because this thread has been beat to death on both the corvette C5 and C6 FI sections. Use the search function and Google. I've had 2 of both kits on my cars.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I think what was meant above is that there are many threads on this same topic if you care to look. The subject has been beaten to death with always the same results. Both kits are good.
Resist the urge to type and search and read instead.
Good luck with your decision.
I need to type faster....
Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by winters97gt
You just called one of the most politefull, experienced wrenches and drivers on here an a$$. The reason you won't get a response is because this thread has been beat to death on both the corvette C5 and C6 FI sections. Use the search function and Google. I've had 2 of both kits on my cars.
Please slow down and read my post. I DID NOT call the gentlemen and a$$ and did not mean to imply such. I just getting nothing but very general answers to post that really don't address my question. I was just trying to make that point. You've jump the gun to accuse me.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

I apologize if I hurt your feelings by accusing you of posting what you actually posted, good luck with your choice.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by winters97gt
I apologize if I hurt your feelings by accusing you of posting what you actually posted, good luck with your choice.
I hesitate to even reply to this but - can you read? I ask again to please reread my initial post. If don't know if you're just trying to cause confusion or what. This will be my last reply to you. Good luck to you also.
The following users liked this post:
triblk6spd (09-13-2016)
Old 04-01-2015, 11:58 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

The real down and dirty is that both kits are light years ahead of the kit that procharger sells for the c5.

A&A pros the only legitimately carb legal kit available (I don't care what anyone else try's to tell you the others technically are not carb legal).

A&A is cheaper for the amount of intercooler you get (more on that in a min)

ECS Pros

Can be ordered with a larger intercooler (but cost more than A&A)

Blower belt changes are much easier.

Tensioner is more robust.

Now on to the intercooler thing.

A&A has one standard intercooler as its been stated they stand straight up and are in the front end air flow stream more than the larger ECS or smaller ECS intercooler.

Before ECS had the small intercooler as standard on their base kits; they were more expensive than the A&A kit.

Now with the smaller intercooler, they are the same price (maybe a little cheaper) than the advertised price of base A&A Kit. However, that standard intercooler ECS offers is awful small, though ECS ensures it is plenty for their base kit. Based on what I've seen of the new base ECS intercooler it is about the same width and height as their big intercooler but half the length.

If you are looking to make 1000 WHP @ 20 psi or more reliably, than neither kit in its base form will work without additional upgrades or modification.

Everytime I've called ECS, they have got back to me in a reasonable time except for the weekends (which is understandable I guess)

Everytime I've called A&A they have got back to me with in a reasonable amount of time including the weekends) I'm pretty sure Andy forwards all the shop calls to his personal phone on the weekends.

For me, Andy has personally came out to his shop on the weekend to get parts for me (but I'm somewhat local)

Would ECS do it? I don't know maybe.

The rest I will pm you. It's not that it's bad it's just stuff I can not discuss in public.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

a@a vs ecs corvetteforum site:www.corvetteforum.com
Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 AM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
The real down and dirty is that both kits are light years ahead of the kit that procharger sells for the c5.

A&A pros the only legitimately carb legal kit available (I don't care what anyone else try's to tell you the others technically are not carb legal).

A&A is cheaper for the amount of intercooler you get (more on that in a min)

ECS Pros

Can be ordered with a larger intercooler (but cost more than A&A)

Blower belt changes are much easier.

Tensioner is more robust.

Now on to the intercooler thing.

A&A has one standard intercooler as its been stated they stand straight up and are in the front end air flow stream more than the larger ECS or smaller ECS intercooler.

Before ECS had the small intercooler as standard on their base kits; they were more expensive than the A&A kit.

Now with the smaller intercooler, they are the same price (maybe a little cheaper) than the advertised price of base A&A Kit. However, that standard intercooler ECS offers is awful small, though ECS ensures it is plenty for their base kit. Based on what I've seen of the new base ECS intercooler it is about the same width and height as their big intercooler but half the length.

If you are looking to make 1000 WHP @ 20 psi or more reliably, than neither kit in its base form will work without additional upgrades or modification.

Everytime I've called ECS, they have got back to me in a reasonable time except for the weekends (which is understandable I guess)

Everytime I've called A&A they have got back to me with in a reasonable amount of time including the weekends) I'm pretty sure Andy forwards all the shop calls to his personal phone on the weekends.

For me, Andy has personally came out to his shop on the weekend to get parts for me (but I'm somewhat local)

Would ECS do it? I don't know maybe.

The rest I will pm you. It's not that it's bad it's just stuff I can not discuss in public.
Thank you, thank you and thank you. You actually read my post and replied in detail with experienced information. Amazing. I'm so used to generic general comments that your post is almost totally unique. I do research and I read but it's all usually just general stuff. Did I say thank you?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

No problem man. ECS and A&A is a touchy subject around here. Purist on both sides of the fence.

Sent you a pm.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A vs ECS blower kits

Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

ECS is a more thought out kit for making bigger power. A&A is priced better and will appeal to the masses more.

Both have good customer service. ECS website sucks ***** though, they would probably get more sales if they mirrored A&A's website.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Agreed on the website layout!! Andy makes it easy.

Agreed on the power making too!!

Though cars like yours and mine overcome either base kit.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

ECS kit blew my motor!!!

Quick Reply: A&A vs ECS blower kits