C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction and curves

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default traction and curves

There's been a lot of threads lately about tires for holding decent power on the street, so I may get blasted, but I need something that is equal traction AND cornering. Don't need a wrinkle wall tire
With that being said, what about the MT ET street radial II?
How does it compare to the TOYO RA1 and TOYO r888?
I have the RA1s, and they are pretty good in corners and not bad in the rain, but just wont hold at anything 60 and below.
About to pull the trigger on some R888, but they look like they could be scary if caught in any rain at all
Any comparison with these?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM
youngrigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make alittle over 600rwhp and have tried the Toyo R888 and currently on MT ET streets DRs both are 305/35-18

The R888s feel real good on the curves and feel sterdy at 150mph+ but i would spin them on 2nd gear hit and sometimes going into 3rd if i slam it hard... I used them for 1/2 mile racing... I haven't tried them for the 1/2 miles event but will be trying them in 3 weeks and hoping they are not to soft and i dont get to much sway at 150mph + as i trap about 166mph in the 1/2

The MTs are alot softer side wall and have taken them in the twisties... They do flex a lot when taking turns fast but I can dead hook now in 2nd gear and get decent traction in 1st.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Thanks
I was hoping the designation "street radial II" might indicate that they were somewhat like the Nitto "IIs" in the handling dept. The 35 aspect ratio has got to help somewhat, but as much as I go to the mountains, I need something that will handle the curves.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:55 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

If im street driving and taking it easy (low boost 13#'s) I use my 335/30/18 R888s. If im playing on the track or street, I swap rears to either my 295/45/17 or 315/17 MTET II's.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 PM
2bridges
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R888 will b your best option. Sticky enough to semi hook but a true corner carving tire.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:14 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

You may have an entirely different experience since you're running an automatic, but here's mine:
I've run the R888's, Nitto NT05R, the Hoosier R6 and Mickey Street Radial II's
R888's are great in water too. I've run them at 100 in the rain and did well.
No way I would try that with the Hoosiers, but if you're on dry pavement, the Hoosier R6 drag radial can't be beaten when having to cross both categories.
The Hoosiers on a 26" hooked better than any 26" I ever put on the car. The 28" Mickeys hook better, but I don't think they would out hook a comparable Hoosier.

I now have 2 sets of rears. I drive normally on the NT05R and they do quite well but I don't drive in the rain anymore, so I don't have any wet traction comparison for you. I race on the Mickeys.
I'm mini-tubbed and also running wide fenders. I could fit a 15" wheel and tire and would if they made something I liked. I run a 345 width tire on 12 and 13" wide wheels.
One thing I've learned: don't go trying to put the wrong width tire on a rim thinking you'll get better traction. What happens is the outside ends are rolled up, so you end up not getting a flat contact patch anyways and it seems to make traction worse rather than better in my experience. If you ever someone that's done it (like putting a 315 on a stock wheel), look at their actual contact patch and notice how narrow it is. It's no wider than the wheel.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:17 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info from Bret as usual.

The R888 is a great tire. It is really sticky and it does well on and off the track. I would however warn you that it is useless above 700whp. A good friend of mine runs 305/35's on the back of his 408/ysi car and they won't hold 3rd gear ever and will blow off in 4th if outside temps are under 80 degrees or on a hard downshift regardless of temp. If you want your car to handle and have decent traction though, the r888 or nt01 are great options.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys
I had pretty much settled on the R888s as wide as I can get on an 18", when I saw the MT street radial IIs and thought maybe they were curve friendly.
Brett
Are you saying the Hoosers are good for curves as well?
I absolutely NEVER drive the car if there is any chance of rain, but when I take it out of town, there is always a chance of something popping up Of course Im not above pulling over and waiting for the heavy stuff to pass, no different than I do on my bike.
I'm running 335s on a 12" rim now, so I guess I will try the widest I can fit on the rim properly which I believe is a 335/345
Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 AM
youngrigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hoosier R6 is not a drag radial its a roadcourse tire but the rubber is just as soft as their DRs just no wall flex which is good for curves

Get notified of new replies

To traction and curves

Quick Reply: traction and curves