C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on CXRacing turbo manifold headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:48 PM
Ralphy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on CXRacing turbo manifold headers

Hi, I'm switching to a front mount twin setup from my UPP fender mounted set up.

I saw these and was wondering if anybody has used them http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...ry_Code=USDCHV . They seem like they would work, and the V- Band would allow me to rotate them however i would like for a better fit.

I also saw the various other types of "up and forward"(OBX, Stainless works, Ebay no names lol), any opinion on these as well? They seem alot thinner/ cheaper than the CXracing ones from what I've researched.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Why are you going away from the UPP setup? Any issues??
Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Ralphy
Heel & Toe

As for the issues i had with it, there was just alot of things about the kit that really disappointed me, some due to lack of research on my part, but mostly in the quality of the kit itself once I got it. One of the biggest problems were fitment issues. I had the worst time getting the hot side to actually mate up together correctly. Even when it was done, the flex pipe felt like it was gonna break due to how much stress was being out on it to get it all together. To be honest, It kind of seemed a little slapped together to me. It's like they knew they took design shortcuts everywhere but said screw it and sold the kit anyways. The parts supplied were so cheap too. Example, the battery terminals for the battery relocation were some of the cheapest things I had ever seen. They couldn't even hold the cable once crimped down. I had to CONSISTENTLY go to the parts store to "upgrade/ fix" so many of the things that was supplied with the kit. I was stationed at fort Irwin, CA at the time of install, and the closest part store was 40 minutes away, so each one of these little "upgrades" to the kit ate up so much extra time and money. Had some fitment issues that were pointed out and even recognized by UPP in threads years ago and reportedly corrected, but reoccurred in the kit i got. Most of it seems lazily reused from a C6 design, which shows from the lack of any real C5 directions. The supplied directions are for a C6, which got confusing and caused further fitment issues. example, the c6 instructions showed a bracket for relocating the PCM, but this isnt included with the C5 kit. Very misleading. I shouldn't have to call them every time I work on the next step to clarify instructions. One major thing that got me was that the driver side turbo sat right underneath the water drain udders, so with any kind of drizzle, water would have poured STRAIGHT onto the turbo. You would think they would have a solution to this with the kit. May seem nitpicky, but its the attention to detail. I could go on, but i don't want this to turn into a UPP bashing thread lol. if you have any specific questions about my experience with the kit, I'll gladly share more though.

TL: DR; Didn't like the overall quality, many fitment issues, very misleading, not worth money paid.

Last edited by Ralphy; 04-25-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Grammar....
Old 04-26-2015, 10:35 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks pretty nasty. I especially like the cast elbows. I don't see any way that's going to fit a C5 without modding and cutting the hell out of it.

I would recommend you wait for the Huron kit before making any decisions.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Looks pretty nasty. I especially like the cast elbows. I don't see any way that's going to fit a C5 without modding and cutting the hell out of it.

Still waiting on Huron kit!! I was told 2 months ago ...soon
Old 04-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Ralphy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06

Yeah, after second glanced i realized they sit to far forward for the c5 engine bay. I ended up just getting the ebay special "up and forward" style, along with those CXracing cast elbows. All i need them to do is get the setup started, then I can get more quality ones made up later if need be. I'll post a little review of them with how they fit once i get them.

Whens the huron kit coming out? any pics? Edit: Just realized the joke after searching for it, very funny...

Last edited by Ralphy; 04-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ralphy
Whens the huron kit coming out? any pics? Edit: Just realized the joke after searching for it, very funny...
I wouldn't even discuss that kit until it gets de-classified below the top secret level.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on CXRacing turbo manifold headers

Quick Reply: Opinions on CXRacing turbo manifold headers