C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok running out of patients! Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Ok running out of patients! Looking for advice

My car has been in shop for welll over two weeks for fouling plugs, plugs only last about a hour before car looses noticeable power (black soot dry no oil). This car is being tuned via email/data logging on street by a reputable tuner, but my mechanic is dragging his feet on getting a new log to tuner, I have a very busy job and can't babysit shop. I have thousands of dollars and many months tied up waiting for previous work, my question is this, what do I need to buy to have tuner (this one or new one) finish this once and for all. I have no gauges currently, afr, boost or fp, no hp tuners of my own, supposedly Im paying a licensing fee for him to use his on my car, is that correct? I still owe some labor money for trans install and odds and ends but that is no problem for me to settle. Would I be stepping on my mechanics toes contacting tuner directly. This has gone on way too long!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

So the mechanic is doing the tuning through a 3rd party? How is that getting done without a wideband on your car?

Post more details on your setup
Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Forged 383, 9.5/1 cr, 230/236/.61/116lsa cam, base A&A si v3 sc 3.6 pully, cnc ls6 heads , stock tb and intake, lg long tubes high flow cats, Ti cat back, 342 gears, RPM lvl VI a4, 3300 stall, no meth, third party tuner of my mechanics choice (but I approved after research on here), I'm not cheap, I have paid all bills in cash to this point, I have been way to lenient on mechanic, I don't know how they do tune without wideband? That's why I think I should contact tuner directly but I'm sure this will cause hard feelings but what else can I do? I used this shop out of convenance for location to me, it's a big, busy shop....just not a performance shop, but all corvettes. The tune was suppose to be temporary until tuner came to town but I blew trans before his last trip and car was down, so I guess I felt responsible for some of this mess, can a tune be done on dyno without wideband in car? Or will I need that first anyway, sorry for the long response.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:43 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Sending PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:54 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

pay your bill and personally take it to a reputable tuner or get hptuners yourself and work with the current tuner, that would be my suggestion... I have seen far too many bad experiences with mail tunes or sending logs back and forth, not to mention all the time it takes
Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent as well....

*mail order tunes from a scan with no wideband information is

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 05-22-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:30 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most tuners with a dyno have a wideband they will stick in the tailpipe. If the tuner says he doesn't have a wideband at all then pay the mechanic and find another place. You cannot tune WOT without a wideband. Okay, you can based on reading the spark plugs but that's the old way which I doubt he will or does do.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe he is doing a mail order tune and is emailing him the scan logs
Well I recently did that with a "reputable" tuner on LS1tech and the car ran horrible I even had tranny issues from his tune. I sent him scan logs
claimed to made the revisions to the tune but car still ran like crap. Best to do stop wasting your time with this guy and find a good dyne shop in your area or Install a wide band and find someone that can do a street tune
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 PM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by veneno
I believe he is doing a mail order tune and is emailing him the scan logs
Well I recently did that with a "reputable" tuner on LS1tech and the car ran horrible I even had tranny issues from his tune. I sent him scan logs
claimed to made the revisions to the tune but car still ran like crap. Best to do stop wasting your time with this guy and find a good dyne shop in your area or Install a wide band and find someone that can do a street tune
all i can say is WOW man, get your car the hell out of there before a Rod is sticking out the side of the block.
Find a good tuner in person

Last edited by leo12; 05-22-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Ok I understand need for wideband, due to poor planning and bad timing, my car has never made it to dyno tune, current tuner is not to blame for this! His tune, I believe was to be a temporary tune, and the dyno would have all the input info available for him to do a thorough job and get it dialed in. I say I believe because I have never spoke to him, for all he knows I'm to cheap to do it right. I Was trying not to step on toes here as my car is at this time still in shop where work was done.

The tuner is from out of state, has a good rep, and has been to fl several times in the months and months this has taken to get done, car is never ready for him, I will be getting gauges one way or the other, it is silly really, if you consider how much $ and time I've spent for "someone" not to get this stuff installed, year plus at this point! But ultimately it is my fault for letting it happen this way

Thanks for setting me straight about the need for this gauge, I just wish I would have asked the specific question to you guys instead of my mechanic who does not have the time to install it.

Adam
Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert

Thanks for setting me straight about the need for this gauge, I just wish I would have asked the specific question to you guys instead of my mechanic who does not have the time to install it.

Adam
I can drill, weld a bung and have gauge installed in less than 30 minutes and a mechanic doesn't have time? Wow....and I think you have headers right so a bung is probably already there. I'd find a new shop to use if you can't do it yourself.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 05-22-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Pms answered, thanks
Old 05-23-2015, 05:22 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Your in Florida surely you cant be that far away from a reputable tuner ?

As others have said, trying to tune without vital information is just idiotic and you're not only throwing money away, but risking severe engine damage.

As for fouling plugs....unless it is an electrical problem, dumping so much fuel through the engine could also lead to problems later on.

Stop wasting your own time/life/money and take the car to a decent tuner.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:23 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn kids
Old 05-23-2015, 09:46 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blown81bu
takes 10 tuners to find someone who can do it...then find one with communication...then find someone who can do driveability...

best advice I can give is buy hp tuners and have a tuner remote tune it if it has no mechanical issues...

best 600 I spent

there are not many tuners out there that can tune a c5 auto supercharged correctly...

get yourself a alky dual meth kit and tune on 93 best cheapest way to go(with the right tuner)

I can PM u 2 that can but there not cheap

I know I will get blasted for my post as usual but I probably have the fastest c5 4l60 car that drives 100% stock...took me a lot of stress and drama to get there but I did not give up and in the end I won and very very happy with my car and all the work was a sucess
Sorry, but as it stands now, you might be no. 6.

As you know, it's not that easy.

Don't take credit away from others with a "probably" go get it done for real
Old 05-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Alright ..... Thanks for the nudge everybody, I knew there was something wrong with the situation, I just kinda fell asleep at the wheel, my car was in shop so long I started to make excuses for it . This came second nature to me as I'm a service manager myself (this would never happen to one of our customers!) and for some reason I was in CYA mode for them
I always kinda knew I would have to learn about tuning if I moded my car this much, but my job is consuming and I just wanted to drive it!

So I now realize I must find a tuner and get my car to him. Then I will start reading about this stuff and maybe someday I can be one of the cool kids haha

Sincerely
Adam
Old 05-23-2015, 11:04 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I know I will get blasted for my post as usual but I probably have the fastest c5 4l60 car that drives 100% stock...took me a lot of stress and drama to get there but I did not give up and in the end I won and very very happy with my car and all the work was a sucess

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Sorry, but as it stands now, you might be no. 6.

As you know, it's not that easy.

Don't take credit away from others with a "probably" go get it done for real
What? No certificate?

im waiting for my roll bar to be installed then atco for some fun in the fall...smarter/wiser route
but right now im enjoying my ride finally 0 issues..doesn't matter to me who has the fastest all I know my car is bad *** like yours

Get notified of new replies

To Ok running out of patients! Looking for advice

Old 05-23-2015, 01:09 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

takes 10 tuners to find someone who can do it...then find one with communication...then find someone who can do driveability...

best advice I can give is buy hp tuners and have a tuner remote tune it if it has no mechanical issues...

best 600 I spent

there are not many tuners out there that can tune a c5 auto supercharged correctly...

get yourself a alky dual meth kit and tune on 93 best cheapest way to go(with the right tuner)

Big talk from someone who hasn't even been to the track yet... Coulda, shoulda, woulda..... It ain't done it til its done it!

Not knocking your car, I think the build came out great...But all this talk, posing, showing off, attention whoring stuff all over the net is ridiculous, you're embarrassing yourself.

Get to the track, get it done, then have something to brag about.....

BTW, people have been running 8s on 4l65s for 7-8 years now so you are not even in the ball park of the fastest...

Also...

Billettech alternators work great when installed/wired correctly, 2" ARH headers are still the best, ECS still makes a great kit and both Doug/Bret are great tuners. You can copy/paste that on FB, YB, BBV and all of the other places you spew on.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:24 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

funny........u opened up a can of worms but hey your upset I didn't hire u to tune my car...

lets do this I call u out hows that with all your greatness here...easy money?

since u live in texas I don't think you can make it to atco so lets do this

say 1000..timeslip for timeslip with video to prove it happened

blown81bu vs blownbluez06

deadline is dec 1 2015 to prove your slip and video

we on?
Upset? More like lucky I didn't. Same with Arun and Jeremy Formato and every other potential victim of yours.
I've already got videos of cars built and tuned by me beating your times with ease. Even with stock bottom ends. My car isn't purpose built for the track, but if you want to race my race, I'm your huckleberry.
You better get your girlfriend a better set of tools and trained to work on a car properly.

Aside from that, I don't trust you any further than I could throw you. I've seen you lie countless times.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:49 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

best 600 I spent

This stuff is hilarious. There are tons of cars with similar builds that manage to run well, from various tuners. Its not your car that is so special, its you.
Communication with the tuner is the key and you lack some skills there from what I see written.
Louis car is a similar build, runs good, and went faster than you without even being dialed in properly.
My car makes similar power, runs like stock, and rather than wax it daily, I actually drive it daily.

For the op... find someone who you can work with and doesn't push your car aside. You are paying, you should get the service you deserve.

Quick Reply: Ok running out of patients! Looking for advice