C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have build a supercharger would you do it again or buy a built car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'd build it again but only because I can do all the work myself--but I'd go with a new balancer from the beginning, new cam if you ever even MIGHT do one as you're most of the way there while pinning the balancer, and I'd do without the injectors that come with most of the kits and go straight to ID's instead.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:56 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

whats wrong with the injectors?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by romandian
whats wrong with the injectors?
The injectors that come with the kits are no where near as consistent as ones from ID. Most factory'ish injectors are +/-5%, which can suck if you end up with a low flowing one on cylinder 7/8. I had fuel trims around 6-8% different from bank to bank with the injectors that came with my kit. With ID's it's down to 1, maybe 2%.

Most people don't understand how complex it gets to control injectors. Getting 8 that are nearly exactly the same under different conditions is not something you'll consistent get from anyone else. It's not just open them wide open and let them pee in a cup for 1 minute and make sure they all flow the same.. you really have to run them at different voltages, pressures, vacuum, etc., to make sure they flow the same in all conditions.

That being said.. plenty of people have made some good power on the injectors that come with the kits, so there's that too.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
The injectors that come with the kits are no where near as consistent as ones from ID. Most factory'ish injectors are +/-5%, which can suck if you end up with a low flowing one on cylinder 7/8. I had fuel trims around 6-8% different from bank to bank with the injectors that came with my kit. With ID's it's down to 1, maybe 2%.

Most people don't understand how complex it gets to control injectors. Getting 8 that are nearly exactly the same under different conditions is not something you'll consistent get from anyone else. It's not just open them wide open and let them pee in a cup for 1 minute and make sure they all flow the same.. you really have to run them at different voltages, pressures, vacuum, etc., to make sure they flow the same in all conditions.

That being said.. plenty of people have made some good power on the injectors that come with the kits, so there's that too.
Okay, I just have to interject a bit on the injector and ID kool aid that purchasers seem to drink.
As an Engineer and an Engineer that happens to work for Siemens (owner of Deka) - you really need to learn a bit more about Siemens (and Bosch) Corporate structure. If you really believe ID has some technology/testing methodology that supersedes that of the designer (BOSCH!) - I've got some beach front property in Nevada with your name on it.
I could not explain to you the amount of hours/days/weeks I've spent graphing, analyzing, building an algorithm - just for RCA of an errant wind sensor fault (I work in the Wind Energy division) - and that's just 1 part (there are over 55000 parts to a Siemens 2.3 Mw Wind Turbine).
Not trying to derail this thread - but - there is a lot of "marketing" with ID.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 AM
miwitte
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey guys so I went ahead and sold my car(wanted to wait to post until it was actually out of the driveway and paid for) and bought a already built one. I really thought hard on this one. I used to get very attached to my 442's when I used to build those but after buying and selling many cars I don't get attached anymore its just a mass produced car that if you are patient and look hard you can find one again. The biggest reason for me to even consider buying a built car is my time. I am getting older, I travel extensively for work and coming home after being away for a week then crawling under the car to do the blower, balancer, headers exhaust, clutch, first would put me in the dog house with wife and kids and second would take me forever to get done. My budget was around 8-9 k I figured that would get me blower, headers and exhaust if I installed myself. Then the clutch would need replacing as well at some point so I would be in at 12k + there is no way a 02 with 90k miles and blower is worth 25k! My goal in buying and selling my toys has always been to be patient, have the money up front, know the market and when the right car presents itself drive or fly right away and grab it. I have been doing this for over 20 years with my toys and find good cars that are a few thousand under market or need work, drive them for a couple years and sell them at market. I have either maybe lost a 1,000 or two or made money on all my toys so that keeps wifey happy. I then use that money to buy my next toy. I started out with a 70 442 that I bought for 6k in like '93, rebuild the motor and undercarriage sold for 25k. 71 442 convert bought for 20k, rebuilt the motor and suspension sold for 35k, 07 Z06 bought for 48k drove for 2 years sold for 48K, my past vette bought for 17 sold for 16. And now this one I bought for 25K which was a screaming deal. I always do all my work have never taken any of my cars ever to get stuff done(except alignment).

So onto my purchase. I purchased a really nice 40k mile, original owner 07 LMB coupe for 25k which was a fair price. But it also had a ECS supercharger, headers, high flow cats, Borla exhaust and Manic clutch so this was a really good deal. I was able to take the 9k I was going to spend on the parts and add that to the sale of my 02 and get a car 5 years newer, 50K less miles and a blower and other go fast parts. Seems a no brainer. Car is super clean no issues, it does run hot like most blower cars so I will address that. Hope this helps someone who is on the fence like me. There are deals out there to be had you just need to be patient for the right one and have the cash ready. Now if I was 15-20 years younger and wasn't traveling and was home every night where I could wrench for a couple hours after dinner I would probably do it myself as I enjoy taking stuff apart and restoring or fixing. At least for me my main reason was time I didn't want to be working on it for 6 months.

Here is the 2 cars on Sat when the guy picked it up.
Name:  IMG_4660.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  3.04 MB
Old 08-31-2015, 09:31 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

The new car looks really nice. Sounds like a no brainer. My goal has been to have a 600rwhp car for $25K total (including buying the car). Sounds like you skipped all the BS and went straight for a nearly done car. Can't blame you there.

Does it have meth injection? That is something I would consider adding if not.

How hot does it run?

I have an ECS kit on an '05 and see low 190's on the interstate and rarely get up to 210 otherwise. Now, I don't regularly sit in traffic for hours or anything.. but still. I don't know why mine runs so cool, but for some reason it does.

Lots of guys have had really good luck with the new brushless fans that are out. That is what I'd be looking at if I were you. Even out in Arizona they keep Unreal's 1000+rwhp car cool.

I'm up in Greensboro btw. Small world! Let me know if you're ever in Greensboro and want to grab a beer.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-31-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Congrats! Your new ride looks clean!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:06 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miwitte
hey guys so I went ahead and sold my car(wanted to wait to post until it was actually out of the driveway and paid for) and bought a already built one. I really thought hard on this one. I used to get very attached to my 442's when I used to build those but after buying and selling many cars I don't get attached anymore its just a mass produced car that if you are patient and look hard you can find one again. The biggest reason for me to even consider buying a built car is my time. I am getting older, I travel extensively for work and coming home after being away for a week then crawling under the car to do the blower, balancer, headers exhaust, clutch, first would put me in the dog house with wife and kids and second would take me forever to get done. My budget was around 8-9 k I figured that would get me blower, headers and exhaust if I installed myself. Then the clutch would need replacing as well at some point so I would be in at 12k + there is no way a 02 with 90k miles and blower is worth 25k! My goal in buying and selling my toys has always been to be patient, have the money up front, know the market and when the right car presents itself drive or fly right away and grab it. I have been doing this for over 20 years with my toys and find good cars that are a few thousand under market or need work, drive them for a couple years and sell them at market. I have either maybe lost a 1,000 or two or made money on all my toys so that keeps wifey happy. I then use that money to buy my next toy. I started out with a 70 442 that I bought for 6k in like '93, rebuild the motor and undercarriage sold for 25k. 71 442 convert bought for 20k, rebuilt the motor and suspension sold for 35k, 07 Z06 bought for 48k drove for 2 years sold for 48K, my past vette bought for 17 sold for 16. And now this one I bought for 25K which was a screaming deal. I always do all my work have never taken any of my cars ever to get stuff done(except alignment).

So onto my purchase. I purchased a really nice 40k mile, original owner 07 LMB coupe for 25k which was a fair price. But it also had a ECS supercharger, headers, high flow cats, Borla exhaust and Manic clutch so this was a really good deal. I was able to take the 9k I was going to spend on the parts and add that to the sale of my 02 and get a car 5 years newer, 50K less miles and a blower and other go fast parts. Seems a no brainer. Car is super clean no issues, it does run hot like most blower cars so I will address that. Hope this helps someone who is on the fence like me. There are deals out there to be had you just need to be patient for the right one and have the cash ready. Now if I was 15-20 years younger and wasn't traveling and was home every night where I could wrench for a couple hours after dinner I would probably do it myself as I enjoy taking stuff apart and restoring or fixing. At least for me my main reason was time I didn't want to be working on it for 6 months.

Here is the 2 cars on Sat when the guy picked it up.
Attachment 47912107
For the right price I would go built or stock and then build with a pro tuner like Doug @ECS or Mike@Vengeance Racing as examples.

Looks like you not only got the right price but a badass build in the process. Congrats!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:12 PM
miwitte
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep I am very happy with car. I got a very good deal, and I sold my car for a very good deal as well. The only issue really is cooling, when I drove it home(500 miles) I got stuck for hours in DC traffic and had to shut the AC off it was in the 240 range. Once I did that it was back to 220 which is fine. So far I have changed the coolant, added water wetter that I had, added some baffling in front of the condenser and cleaned the "hay" out of the radiator(schpenxel I saw your pic from yesterday!) All for nothing. I took off the cowl weatherstrip that really helped cool it by at least 8 or more degrees. I now run 195 on the highway at 80 with AC on in 90+ temps! Still get hot around town in traffic so I just did the fan bypass and a 160 thermo haven't been able to drive it much and tell if it helped in traffic much.

schpenxel would definetly like to hook up been following your build.

Car was built by Doug@ECS back in 2010 put down 580/520 so there is plenty left. Plan for the winter is to refresh the blower has over 20K miles and maybe a little bearing noise, pulley down and add meth and go for 650-700. Upgrade sways and shocks and maybe aftermarket nav unit and radio. Possibly radiator and fans we will see. Car is really nice and just what I wanted
Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Just let me know if you're ever coming through the g-boro area and we'll try to meet up
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Post a vid of the blower noise. It may just be the gears making noise.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:10 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I am glad the OP got what he wanted.
I would guess that another forum would have very different
answers concerning planned builds and deciding to buy a car
"built"
Old school'ers who have built cars for a long time don't look at
buying another guy's build. If they do, they would change so
much around to put their identity on the ride;they would not
save any money.
I hear guy's talk about their builds in the past. Those builds
turn out to be High School builds ( usually putting on larger
tires and a little bling. Then the next thought of a build is
decades later.Not a lot of history really.
So my thought is all you old relatively rich guys that have
little car build history and enough money to buy someone
else's build --do it. You will be satisfied with someone elses's
dream and identity . It will be your car but those that know
will see that it was not your build.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
I am glad the OP got what he wanted.
I would guess that another forum would have very different
answers concerning planned builds and deciding to buy a car
"built"
Old school'ers who have built cars for a long time don't look at
buying another guy's build. If they do, they would change so
much around to put their identity on the ride;they would not
save any money.
I hear guy's talk about their builds in the past. Those builds
turn out to be High School builds ( usually putting on larger
tires and a little bling. Then the next thought of a build is
decades later.Not a lot of history really.
So my thought is all you old relatively rich guys that have
little car build history and enough money to buy someone
else's build --do it. You will be satisfied with someone elses's
dream and identity . It will be your car but those that know
will see that it was not your build.
I agree with what your saying about the pride of the build, but it seems to me the comment about being able to afford someone's else's build is actually opposite, from what I see its cheaper to buy a built car, the difference is you pay all at once.... But definitely less money invested!
Regards
Adam
It's a little like when we see a 2015 new car win a car show...... where's the pride in that!

Last edited by Forcedvert; 09-01-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: For those who have build a supercharger would you do it again or buy a built car?