C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown STS turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 PM
bcartman2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blown STS turbo help

Well we finally got the used STS turbo kit install finished on the Z and started it up for the first time, perhaps the oil flowing out of the turbos is why the previous owner sold it, wish he would have told us...

So now many thousands of dollars and a lot of work later we have two blown turbos that need rebuilt, from what I can tell they are are some variation of Garrett GT35 turbos.

Am I right to figure they need rebuilt being that oil is flowing out of the exhaust tips?

How bad are they to rebuild? or should I send them out to have them rebuilt?

How can I determine exactly what they are so that I can order the correct kit if I do it myself?

thanks for any help you can provide.

Bill
Old 06-22-2015, 11:19 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Check your scavenge pump, those seals aren't designed to hold oil pressure.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Could easily be a scavenge issue.

Ensure that is working correctly then run the engine long enough to burn off any oil, which could take some driving.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

One more vote for scavenging pump.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:03 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I've rebuilt them. It's not hard and the kit is ~$175 if I recall (journal bearing). It didn't work out as the place I had balance the wheels fuked up and they promptly ate themselvers. Net net it's not worth it. A typical rebuild is ~$600. But if they're turbonetics, a pro tip is you can get a new center section and wheels new for the price they want to rebuild yours.

Really the only reason they'd need rebuilding is if there is excessive shaft play which wouldn't necessarily be accompanied by tons of oil out the exhaust. Pretty sure it's your pump.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 06-23-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

It's highly unlikely for both turbos to blow at the same time. I also vote for scavenging pump issue.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 PM
bcartman2
Racer

thanks guys, I also talket to a local turbo shop, he checked out the turbos and said they should be good, he explained how the turbo oil system works and I am in full agreement with you guys that the turbos are not the problem it is the oil pump. I know i have seen on here people calling the stock STS pump everything but good, and they have replaced them, what is the best pump to replace it with and will it fit is the same location? what is the best way to go with getting this working correctly and having the highest reliability?

Thanks for your help

Bill
Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

I run the Turbowerx scavenge pump. It is about three time the size of the STS pump. I mounted mine up front in the same location as the STS. These Turbowerx pumps are way superior ro that STS thing.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:23 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Turbowerx here as well although not STS. Flawless so far.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:36 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Turbowerx Exa
Old 06-25-2015, 12:53 PM
bcartman2
Racer

thanks guys for all your help we found that the oil line coming out of the pump was pinched causing our problems, car is all back together and running fine for the shape its in (still needs tuned) I feel a lot more confident in this system now especially after having Dave at XS Boost in Massillon Ohio check out my turbos, if you are ever looking for someone who knows his stuff he is the guy to talk to. As for the pump we are going to keep running the STS pump for now but we are putting a backup together using a turbowerx pump as recommended.

thanks again for all of your help

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Blown STS turbo help

Quick Reply: Blown STS turbo help