C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to make more boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 03:02 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Want to make more boost

we have a 98 coupe, that is a auto. The car is a stock motor, with ls6 intake, lt headers, full exhaust, and a p1sc with a 425 pulley.. The car has a built z06 rear with 3.90 gear. The car also has a meth kit, and stock pumps with a Kenny bell boosta pump.. Right now the car is on 4-5 psi. Would like to be around 10 psi.. Was thinking of a 3.80 pulley, and perhaps better flowing fuel pumps.

Would my motor be safe with 10 psi? Can my stock pumps, on a boosta pump supply enough fuel for 10 psi?? Would a 3.8 pulley net me 5 more psi? Also when should I think about upgrading to a single inter cooler instead of the 2 small ones??

Last edited by slow-v6; 07-03-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Idiot
Old 07-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

If I had to guess I think that pulley would get you 4-5 more psi. I also think you would be okay on fuel but can not promise that. With a good retune I would not be worried about motor longevity.

I would add the LPE pump and racetronix harness into the mix too if it was me.

The dual intercooler design definitely sucks, it would be a good idea to upgrade if you up the boost.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-v6
we have a 98 coupe, that is a auto. The car is a stock motor, with ls6 intake, lt headers, full exhaust, and a p1sc with a 425 pulley.. The car has a built z06 rear with 3.90 gear. The car also has a meth kit, and stock pumps with a Kenny bell boosta pump.. Right now the car is on 4-5 psi. Would like to be around 10 psi.. Was thinking of a 3.80 pulley, and perhaps better flowing fuel pumps.

Would my motor be safe with 10 psi? Can my stock pumps, on a boosta pump supply enough fuel for 10 psi?? Would a 3.8 pulley net me 5 more psi? Also when should I think about upgrading to a single inter cooler instead of the 2 small ones??
You have a half dozen or so reputable Corvette shops very near you.

I suggest you pick one or two, have them look at what you got, etc.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:59 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
You have a half dozen or so reputable Corvette shops very near you.

I suggest you pick one or two, have them look at what you got, etc.
As always Jay coming thur with the best for a person.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:01 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
If I had to guess I think that pulley would get you 4-5 more psi. I also think you would be okay on fuel but can not promise that. With a good retune I would not be worried about motor longevity.

The dual intercooler design definitely sucks, it would be a good idea to upgrade if you up the boost.
I agree, when I had my car tuned, my tuner said that I was running about 5lbs of boost with a D1SC 4.38 pulley. Well I doubled checked all hoses and fittings and re tighned then some were loose. Now I believe I gained about 2-3 more lbs of boost about 8lbs with a 4.38.
Cars runs great now, just need to get the tranny temps down some.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan

Pulley swaps/boost increases are a bit of a guess. I was told a couple of times that 1/4" = approx. 2bs, but never tested to see if it was even close
I run a LPE FP, boost a pump and meth and am around 13lbs and closing in on 800rwhp (wont get there with this P1SC1) and the pressure never dips below 54.
I ran 10lbs and 700rwhp on my stock motor with a great tune and Meth, but have seen them let go with power in the 5xxs. RPM is the killer on the 98 rod bolts.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:56 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the heads up everyone. The tune is done by Ron Patton, ronster tuning. He is an outstanding tuner.. May get the car in the air, and retighten every clamp/hose before I look to do a pulley swap.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I agree, when I had my car tuned, my tuner said that I was running about 5lbs of boost with a D1SC 4.38 pulley. Well I doubled checked all hoses and fittings and re tighned then some were loose. Now I believe I gained about 2-3 more lbs of boost about 8lbs with a 4.38.
Cars runs great now, just need to get the tranny temps down some.
+1

When I had my stock LS6 engine with only headers/exhaust, a 4.38" pulley on a D1sc made 10 psi through the air filter/dongle. 11 psi with the blower open. This was good for 622rwhp(thru the filter/10 psi).

OP, I would check all your hose connections first, I think you should see more the 4-5 psi with the pulley combo you have... Also make sure your blow off valve is sealing well under boost.

THEN go to the 3.8" pulley and retune...
Old 07-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

How many hp do you have right now?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Motors can break stock. As you increase boost, you increase stresses on them and all supporting parts. I've got a good handful of customers running around making 15 or more psi boost without issue, but they all have been warned that it will last until it will only last so long.
If you want reliability, leave it alone. If you want to play, do your due diligence to make it reliable.
Part of my recipe for making these cars last is to run a good meth injection system and I see that you have one. Make sure it's working properly from time to time and replace/rebuild the pump every 2-3 years. They're not that expensive to replace and consider it maintenance, like an oil change.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:13 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
+1

When I had my stock LS6 engine with only headers/exhaust, a 4.38" pulley on a D1sc made 10 psi through the air filter/dongle. 11 psi with the blower open. This was good for 622rwhp(thru the filter/10 psi).

OP, I would check all your hose connections first, I think you should see more the 4-5 psi with the pulley combo you have... Also make sure your blow off valve is sealing well under boost.

THEN go to the 3.8" pulley and retune...

I'm running a P1SC with a 4.25 along with heads, cam, intake, exhaust, etc. and I see a little more than 6psi at 6k rpm.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:33 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Make sure you have no leaks or belt slip....

I made 10 PSI with 3.85 pulley on my stock 01 ls6 with blower cam and LT headers on a P1Sc-1. Got me 606rwhp/531rwtq on a conservative dyno with no meth. Make sure you have a good intake/filter on there. The DP big mouth is a great choice.

Add the LPE pump and Harness for insurance.

IMO Pros and cons to the intercooler.

Less restriction with the large single but also blocks the radiator and makes it harder to cool down. I would personally leave the dual intercoolers if under 700-800rwhp.

I run the larger twin intercoolers ( most recent design) on my D1SC/Forged 347 still.

Last edited by PEETYZ; 07-07-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:15 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone.. When I get back from vacation, I will check for leaks/slip. Not sure on power, but the previous owner went 11.8@118 in it, so I assume it's around 430 rwhp..

Get notified of new replies

To Want to make more boost

Quick Reply: Want to make more boost