C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:45 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Cleaning the intercooler?

On a procharger C5 kit the intercoolers are on both sides pass and driver side, close to the ground.

I dont know if the intercooler has been clean, I guess it is possible for the tiny fins to get clogged up with dirt and bugs. Is it possible to just use some A/C cleaner for it to be more effective? Suggestions

Last edited by corvet786c; 07-04-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It there a upgrade path for the twin intercoolers?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Wow, just cleaned the twin intercoolers and must of picked up another 20 rwhp. There was alot of road grime and bugs inside. Unbelievable
Old 09-07-2015, 01:13 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Wow, just cleaned the twin intercoolers and must of picked up another 20 rwhp. There was alot of road grime and bugs inside. Unbelievable
How did you clean the IC's? I don't have access to compressed air, and I'm wondering if there is any other way to clean the IC's and, at the same time, the radiator.

The Lizzard
Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
How did you clean the IC's? I don't have access to compressed air, and I'm wondering if there is any other way to clean the IC's and, at the same time, the radiator.

The Lizzard
I just unscrewed them, then sprayed some green cleanser on the fins and filled the IC with some water and gently rotate the IC. I did this a couple of times and let air dry. Bugs and dirt get in there because they are low to the ground. Its really easy. Just becareful not to bend the tiny aluminum fins and let air dry.

If your going to clean the radiator at the same time then I would highly recommend to get the A/C fin cleaner at Home depot or lowe's. It works great, better than the green degreaser I talked about. I used the A/C cleaner the other day and my coolant temps came down at least 10 degrees and stayed there. When driving my temps immediatly come back down, when before they struggled to come down. Hope this helps.

Last edited by corvet786c; 09-08-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:38 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

How hard is it to unscrew them?
Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Caveboy
How hard is it to unscrew them?
Well you have to jack the car up and get underneith the front. You have to remove the screws holding the plastic bottom part of the facia to get access to the twin intercoolers, once there its just a matter of unscrewing it from the bracket and unloosing the clamps that hold it together. It not hard at all to do.

Once u have access to the IC just spray degreasser on both sides and fill IC with some water and swish it around, be careful not to bend the tiny aluminum fins of course. Empty and let air dry. Its very important to let them dry before installing them again.

Once they are really dry, then install them back on to feel a cool unobstructed charge of air going into the intake.

No proof, But I believe it would had some ponies that would have been left off the table, jmo

My car felt more responsive and alot stronger.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Caveboy
Drifting

I am thinking about do that and swap out my DRL housing at the same time. With the intercoolers out of the way , could I get to the housing?

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning the intercooler?

Quick Reply: Cleaning the intercooler?