C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with A4's, I need your Opinon

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:16 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Guys with A4's, I need your Opinon

Hey there. I have A&A's bigger intercooler which blocks a lot of the radiators frontal area making the placement of the trans cooler pretty hard. I have opened up the fog lamps and front license plate to get more air to the front of the car and the coolers. My DRM oil cooler and BM trans cooler are fighting for space. What do you guys think would work better, leaving the trans cooler on its own near the front of the car (in front of rad and ic), or up against the radiator? I was thinking of doing the Dewitts fan upgrade and seeing if that would pull enough air across both the rad and trans cooler to keep things cool.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

How hot are you running now??
I have a SC and I opened up the front as you contemplated.
I use the traditional tranny cooler that is next to the radiator.
I also run a B&M tranny cooler up front as well.
Keep in mind that LS engines run a lot hotter than the old
school OEM engines. The LS engines are not as efficient at low
temp. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:11 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Coolant avgs about 190* and trans temp 175* with normal driving. Hard driving in the canyons its 215/180-190 depending on outside temps. On the track, road course, the trans has been up to 230 and thats what I want to lower.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I went with the B&M cooler with a dedicated fan that comes on aat 205 and a tiger shark nose with the big dewitts rad and fan kit and it pretty much cured my tranny heat problem

only thing I hate is that my cooler is in front of the intercooler which reduce the efficiency by flowing HOT air through it.

I mostly drag race the car so it's not an issue for me It's a TTiX tiwn turbo and at 800 at the tire it is giving that little 4ll65E RPM slush box all it can handle so yes getting the tranny temps down just a bit is a good idea.

I'm also going to try a deep sump tranny pan with cooling fins as I think that will help and perhaps relocating my tranny cooler to the back with push and pull fans. where it is now it works better and I might try a "nostril" mount but it's where the air filters are packaged so it's all tight up front!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I went with the B&M cooler with a dedicated fan that comes on aat 205 and a tiger shark nose with the big dewitts rad and fan kit and it pretty much cured my tranny heat problem

only thing I hate is that my cooler is in front of the intercooler which reduce the efficiency by flowing HOT air through it.

I mostly drag race the car so it's not an issue for me It's a TTiX tiwn turbo and at 800 at the tire it is giving that little 4ll65E RPM slush box all it can handle so yes getting the tranny temps down just a bit is a good idea.

I'm also going to try a deep sump tranny pan with cooling fins as I think that will help and perhaps relocating my tranny cooler to the back with push and pull fans. where it is now it works better and I might try a "nostril" mount but it's where the air filters are packaged so it's all tight up front!
I did the same B&M with the elec fans on it fixed the problem. I think 230 for any amount of time is to hot for sure..Robert
Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

My cooler is the BM 70274 which is their biggest I believe. It's 11x11x1.5. I have to look for a fan that would fit it I guess. I've also looked at the PLM deep trans pan but I've heard mixed reviews on how efficient a deep pan really is.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

My concern too with a fan on the cooler was whether it would become a restriction to airflow at high speeds
Old 07-07-2015, 04:20 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
My cooler is the BM 70274 which is their biggest I believe. It's 11x11x1.5. I have to look for a fan that would fit it I guess. I've also looked at the PLM deep trans pan but I've heard mixed reviews on how efficient a deep pan really is.
I've got the PLM deep pan on my car in conjunction with a large B&M cooler up front where I cut out the license plate plastic backing and another cooler in the engine bay with a fan attached to it. The fan is on a switch and with all the components and lines it took 12 quarts of fluid to fill. I also run a PTC converter. I've got a front mount turbo setup. I generally run around 180* in traffic. I haven't been to the track yet and I just added the fan last week. I added the fan because I was messing around on the street and it got up to 220* and that's not good IMO. I haven't driven it since the fans addition.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

B&M 70297

Trans has NEVER been over 195*, that's in bumper to bumper traffic, 95* day with a very loose converter. Normal trans temps are 150-170. Fan is on a toggle that I switch on at 170*... I rarely have to run it.

Earls 25 row oil cooler

Oil temp pretty much mirrors the coolant temp within a couple degrees. Highest I've seen the oil was 238*, that was after a 7200 rpm run in high gear...(163 mph)...

However, on a road course/track day, no doubt the engine and trans would probably both over heat profusely....LOL

Last edited by ajrothm; 07-07-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:36 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

The radiator fans blow onto that cooler and I have a supplemental fan to pull that air through that cooler. There is probably 25 feet of –6 line throughout the system.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thanks guys. Great ideas, suggestions and pictures. I actually did what you guys suggested and I placed my DRM setrab oil cooler behind the driver side brake duct, under the headlamp. Hopefully itll get direct airflow from that opening. Ill keep my eye on it to see if Ill need a fan for it there. This did allow me to center my trans cooler in front of the intercooler and right behind the front license plate opening so it should see direct airflow from there as well. Ill probably go for a little run tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:07 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
More fluid in the pan will have to help on time frame of it getting hot.

But more than that only look at the deep trans pan from RPM in vendor in here. SOME OF THE OTHER HAVE THE FILL UP HOLE drilled down in the pan more and if it is not full in these transmission it will burn the trans up...
Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would watch the temps and if they get anywhere close to 200* I'd stick a fan on it. Like AJ, I have the same cooler as him in the same location (I copied him) and it works awesome there.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:07 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Update: the new cooler placements seem to be working much better. I've been seeing max trans temps between 150-160 depending on oat. Engine oil stays at 217-220 and doesn't really go beyond that. Coolant is usually in the 190s. This has been on hwy and city driving of at least 30-45min at a time and also in warm weather. Next is to see where the temps go when I push the car. Good thing I've noticed is the temps rise much slower and cool down faster or maintain as I go from driving harder to cruising.

Get notified of new replies

To Guys with A4's, I need your Opinon

Quick Reply: Guys with A4's, I need your Opinon