C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z project (warning, it's a story)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C5Z project (warning, it's a story)

Long story short, bought this C5Z about 2 years ago, been attending various auto crosses and track days (road course). I bought the car and it had an A&A kit, long tubes and full exhaust, otherwise stock.

Since then I've added several bits and peices. RideTech triple adjust coilovers. Corbeau seats and Brey Krause Harness, CCW wheels, DBA brakes, Ron Davis radiator w EOC, bumper cooling mod and a bunch of engine maintenance items, such as Harland Sharp trunion upgrade, GM Perf blue valve springs, new seals, Melling oils pump, new harmonic damper, new water pump, all new belts, pulleys, tensioners etc. not counting oil changes, spark plugs, tranny and diff fluids etc.

Anyhow, about 3 weeks ago I was at an autocross event and car started spraying oil out of BOV and got flagged. After pulling off, realizing catch can was full after 3, 1 min sessions I knew something was wrong...

I limped home from the event staying out of boost, which was hard as car ran as good as it ever had. I parked it in the garage and started pulling plugs for comp/leakdown test, as I got to the famous #7, it was a done deal. Over 40% leakdown straight into the crankcase!

So after being pissed off for a day or so, I started to pick everything apart and roadmap a way out to get back on the road! All front rotating assy came off, heads came off, torque tube, tranny assy comes off.

Once the heads was off I had hoped to see some damage from the top but everything looks fine, most likely ring related I suspect.

Now while working away I have been reaching out to different vendors here to get an estimate for a built short block, as of now I am planning to use my resisting 243 castings, and on a limited budget build a fresh shortblock ($5000k).

So for I have not been able to get close without compromising, it seems that using an L33 block bored from 5.3 to 5.7 seems to save some, will definitely want h beam rods, forged pistons along with all other reasonable parts to support say 800hp, although only planning for 550ish rwhp.

So far it's been a lot of hours taking everything apart, being this is the first C5 it definitely was a challenge tearing it down!'
Attached Images      
Old 07-19-2015, 04:16 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Give AES or Thompson Motorsports a call. I have an AES 390 (iron block) and have no complaints. They should be able to meet your budget. Also have a buddy with a Thompson short block and he is very happy. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Larzmat
Pro

I am really close w Thompson but on an alu block, they will most likely get my business!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Larzmat
Pro

TT, tranny and rear end is out
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Block is probably fine just shattered piston ring land/s. If it's fine just use a .005" piston and cheap h beam and fresh balance. Good to 800 all day for the most part.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Larzmat
Pro

I am not sure I want to spend the time and money having the LS6 checked out. 0.020" is not much to work with, and it's out of spec it would be a wasted effort..
Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Do your research on Thompson and AES. Get on ls1tech and read away.

Honestly I'd stay away from both of them, but I'd use Thompson before AES.

You get what you pay for. Do your research!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by ajrothm

Yes I have spent time at LS1tech, and I also know that Thompson builds over 500 motors/year so I expect they know what they are doing.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Good luck on the rebuild!

I also popped #5 & 7 on my stock LS6.. It gets very costly after that. All the little stuff will add up and eat you up. It's crazy how much money you will spend on these things.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

it always runs its best before it lets go
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by skull
it always runs its best before it lets go
You got that right.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:24 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm

I agree.

I would call Schwanke Engines first.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by b16gsr
I agree.

I would call Schwanke Engines first.
The Midwest company?

What is your experience with them, and why would you recommend going with them over AES/TM?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:11 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Larzmat
The Midwest company? What is your experience with them, and why would you recommend going with them over AES/TM?
Yes in Minnesota.

I have done or been apart of 6 different motors from them. They are die hard ole school gear heads that have the best of equipment. They build sealed LS motors for a national series and have for many years.

Two of the motors they built one aluminum LS3 nitrous and one iron LQ4 blower lived for thousands of hard miles at 900+ whp on stock cranks.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:19 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sub'd!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by b16gsr
Yes in Minnesota.

I have done or been apart of 6 different motors from them. They are die hard ole school gear heads that have the best of equipment. They build sealed LS motors for a national series and have for many years.

Two of the motors they built one aluminum LS3 nitrous and one iron LQ4 blower lived for thousands of hard miles at 900+ whp on stock cranks.
Good to know, thanks for the info. I will definitely give them a call as well and see where their quote comes in.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I called a bunch of places as i just pulled my motor to refresh. Was going to have it all built someplace in the midwest here and no one wanted my money. Calling places day after day to try to chase down quotes then getting nothing in writing and just spitballed nonsense doesn't inspire me to spend $3-4k. SO i went with thompson as if nothing else they were happy to talk to me on the phone and put stuff in writing, at the end of the day it cost me the same money to just get a shortblock from them. Any i can sell my ls6 one now and get a few bucks.

I know some people running their short blocks with much more hp then my NA build so hopefully it will work.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z project (warning, it's a story)

Old 07-21-2015, 01:38 AM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by Socko
I called a bunch of places as i just pulled my motor to refresh. Was going to have it all built someplace in the midwest here and no one wanted my money. Calling places day after day to try to chase down quotes then getting nothing in writing and just spitballed nonsense doesn't inspire me to spend $3-4k. SO i went with thompson as if nothing else they were happy to talk to me on the phone and put stuff in writing, at the end of the day it cost me the same money to just get a shortblock from them. Any i can sell my ls6 one now and get a few bucks.

I know some people running their short blocks with much more hp then my NA build so hopefully it will work.
I am in somewhat of the same boat, while
I'd be the first to admit that I would definitely be all over a big $$ LPE built motor or any of the other big name shops, reality is that it just isn't in the budget.

And as you're experience, mine has been similar with Thompson. I've gotten somewhat of the same verbal feedback as you mention and the feeling I get is that they are just expecting you to know all the details involved and basically just pay for it without asking too many questions.

While this may be an option for others, it ain't for me.

But I've been wrong before... Just don't remember when that was
Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I don't have any experience with Schwanke engines but I know I see their valve covers on some top running cars at the NHRA drag races.

building an LS motor isn't that bad. I'd pull your current engine apart to see what it needs.

I have a set of H bean rods and 3.903 forged pistons I scrounged up cheap (800 for the pistons & rods and rings, I'll update the rings)

glad to see someone brave enough to do this with jack stands!!

thanks for posting up the pics and best of luck.

TMS definitely has great customer service and do "volume" low cost builds. I'm thinking the quality is pretty good too (but again , no personal experience)

good luck on your build!!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thompson was happy to answer my 14 specifics in an email in writing and setup everything for me exactly how i wanted it and put that all on the quote in writing. Though i agree all the local builders i talked to want you to give them a cc number and they will deliver what they want to you when they want. That's why i went with Thompson. They have a reasonable reputation as well.

At the end of the day i cant afford to build a motor shop, so I need someone to do the work for me. I actually did it all as a kid in high school and i would do it myself if i had the 50k in tools it takes to align hone and do the cylinders and rods and the like. I guess i could take a class at a technical college like i did back then when i blew up my old car to use their tools. Being an adult and having responsabilities SUCKS!

Last edited by Socko; 07-21-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: C5Z project (warning, it's a story)