C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerforce Dyad rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Z06_Trbl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Centerforce Dyad rebuild

So looking for some input here. I pulled my Dyad out after 5000 miles as it began slipping. I have 0 track days and a handful of highway pulls on it.

My 03 z06 is making in the neighborhood of 740 rwhp on e85 with a v2 t-trim.

In calling Centerforce they were really vague on sending it in for a rebuild. I just got the sense that they could care less about helping me out but that could just be me.

Here are some pictures of what the clutch looks like now

The heat marks look terrible to me, and honestly if it is going to cost me $700 plus shipping to get it rebuilt I would rather give my business to someone else. This will be the second time and the last time Centerforce will disappoint me.

How bad is this clutch? Any experience from those who have had one rebuilt?

Thanks!
Attached Images       
Old 07-26-2015, 10:49 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Man that thing looks rough for only 5000 miles. Mine after similar mileage and considerably more power than you doesn't look that bad! Mine only started slipping when I added 15's and went from 950-1000rwhp to 1050-1100rwhp. I can definitely tell its been slipping by those serious heat marks on the floater plate. I slipped mine at the track multiple times on purpose, and like I said it look 10x better. What hydraulics' were you using? Stock? But on another note the friction material looks to be doing ok considering, still a lot of meat there although you would have to measure it to confirm if it really is worn or not. They haven't given me any real problems about sending a clutch back. They do ask a lot of questions, which leads me to think they believe a lot of problems they've seen have been from installation or break in. But I'm sure a lot will think its to divert blame or something like that. Maybe, but I think that since they deal with SOO many ppl that they have to ask to rule out any other issues with every single person that calls and blames solely the clutch etc... I couldn't tell by your photo's any of that other than it looks like it has slipped a lot. I have talked with Will and Bryan at Centerforce a few times and they have always been helpful. GL!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Z06_Trbl
Instructor

Valid point... I used a new gm slave with this clutch, and a Centerforce supplied pilot bearing.
I feel as though I performed the break in properly. And I do have the utmost faith in my installer.

When I realized the clutch was hurting I was doing some data logging. I launched the car (as best I could) on nt01 tires. First saw a fair amount of wheel spin second gear felt a little soft and shifting third felt like the clutch wouldn't disengage as it ground third.

I babied it home let it sit for a few weeks, drove it over to my mechanic did a few roll ons and it felt fine. Clutch fluid looked acceptable. However maybe the hydraulics are to blame.

Thanks for your input it is much appreciated!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Z06_Trbl
Instructor

It's official Centerforce said my clutch is not worth rebuilding. Honestly I'd like to converse with someone there that actually seemed to know what they were doing like the two guys you mentioned. Rather than get a cookie cutter email of "due to the heat marks this clutch cannot be rebuilt".

However the clutch is fried it can't be rebuilt, so no use beating a dead horse.

As I stated before this is my second Centerforce clutch that has made me miserable. They say misuse or improper install.

Either way I know I didn't dog the clutch and I would like to believe it was installed properly as it worked great for the first 5k miles and my builder is pretty bad *** to boot.

So perhaps someone can read this and make an educated decision before buying one. Hearing both sides about this clutch. Because I would put an automatic in my car before I ever bought another Centerforce product.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy a mantic..

Originally Posted by Z06_Trbl
It's official Centerforce said my clutch is not worth rebuilding. Honestly I'd like to converse with someone there that actually seemed to know what they were doing like the two guys you mentioned. Rather than get a cookie cutter email of "due to the heat marks this clutch cannot be rebuilt".

However the clutch is fried it can't be rebuilt, so no use beating a dead horse.

As I stated before this is my second Centerforce clutch that has made me miserable. They say misuse or improper install.

Either way I know I didn't dog the clutch and I would like to believe it was installed properly as it worked great for the first 5k miles and my builder is pretty bad *** to boot.

So perhaps someone can read this and make an educated decision before buying one. Hearing both sides about this clutch. Because I would put an automatic in my car before I ever bought another Centerforce product.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Z06_Trbl
Instructor

Considering the mantic or the monster lt1-r. I really like the design of the lt1-r with the c7 pressure plate.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Considering the mantic or the monster lt1-r. I really like the design of the lt1-r with the c7 pressure plate.
My friend Don has the Monster LT1-r and he seems to like it. I haven't driven his car personally, but he said the petal was considerably firmer than the stocker. But he has been to the track with it multiple times and it has seemed to hold up to his abuse as he's pretty hard on his cars overall. He's a H/C C6ZO6 making @590's to the tires. Other than that I can't tell you a different clutch to try as the only one's I've liked that I've driven in multiple vehicle that were consistent in all of them were the Centerforce, and the Mcleod RXT. But both have had some good and bad reviews lately so I'll just throw my hand up and say go with who makes you feel like there product is going to do the job for you. I've said it before the Mantic's look nice in there fancy case and all, I just haven't used one or even driven one to endorse it. So I'd just get on the phone and start calling a few of the places ppl have recommended and see how you feel about them and there product. Cause obviously the DYAD didn't hold up for one reason or another. If you want to talk to one of the guys at Centerforce about it, and how they are coming to there determination etc...just give them a call and ask to speak with them, I've talked to multiple guys technical and otherwise.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 PM
chrisp250r
Heel & Toe

So looking for some input here. I pulled my Dyad out after 5000 miles as it began slipping.
so what ever came of this? i've got the same problem on my 06 with a cam only ls2!!!! i was told that this clutch was fully rebuildable and all that mumbo jumbo and this is the last clutch you'll buy... yea, the works! i'm beyond mad about this though!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:50 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

What was your breaking procedure? Stop and go miles or highway?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Z06_Trbl
Instructor

I bought an lt1-r, I have yet to install it. I also vowed to never buy a center force product again, and make sure that I warn anyone considering a new clutch of my two terrible experiences with center force clutches. I was told the clutch was not designed to be slipped out of the hole at all. Which makes absolutely no sense with an irs corvette drivetrain. They however "kindly" offered me 10% off a new one. I will never walk down that road again. My act t1s g01 twin disc was a far superior clutch at the same power level.

Get notified of new replies

To Centerforce Dyad rebuild

Quick Reply: Centerforce Dyad rebuild