C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 03:09 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done?

Mike Norris is just finishing up my 422 with a D1-SC and is seeing some real temp problems. Sitting in the shop with the AC on, it's going north of 240 degrees. Since it is hot and lots of traffic here, that's a problem!

We've talked about the Be Cool, Water Wetter and a pusher fan, but I'd love to hear suggestions.....

Tom
Old 08-21-2002, 04:11 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (tscales)

Don't know the answer myself, but have read post here and on ls1tech referring to 3 different solutions that supposedly worked.

1. Modify intake to allow stock puller fans to be used (relocating intake seems to require modifications to how the radiator is positioned)

2. Replace single ati puller fan with a higher cfm unit.

3. Replace ati puller with two high volume pushers.

I have also read posts stating that some people are not having any cooling problems at all.

Good luck, and let us know how you get it solved.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:39 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I have heard of some ATI kits being delivered with the wiring for the fan reversed, I would check that first.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:00 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (Arnie's C5)

I'm pretty sure Mike checked that, since we talked about it and he said it was right. I suspect it is a combination of the bigger engine and the D1-SC which pushes more air.

Mike will figure it out.

Tom
Old 08-21-2002, 07:51 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Get rid of the DexCool. Make sure you are running a 160* Thermo and fans at 170*.

I'd switch to a 35% Ethylene Glycol & Distilled water mix. Use Water Wetter in addition. Basically 1 Gallone Prestone, 1 Water Wetter the rest Distilled.

Make sure to flush the Dexsludge with hose tap water, refill, start the car, bring to op temp, let thermo open and flush block, turn on heater, drain clear fluid. Possibly repeat, then refill to above.

[Modified by MelloYellow, 11:53 PM 9/23/2002]
Old 08-21-2002, 08:41 PM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Tom, had similar problem with my 422/SC. Kenny thought mine was a tuning/computer issue, and he believes they have it corrected. It appeared as though the fans were not being turned on and running for appropriate times. As it sits now, they have finished the cog drive and the 422 is able to flow so much air, that they are waiting now on a specially built ATI F1 for mine. If I hear anything more specific I'll let you know. FWIW, my pcm had some faulty circuts and I needed a new pcm.

ZZ
Old 08-21-2002, 09:57 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Tom,
off topic, I was at Mike's today to pick up my car.

The heads/cam is awesome. Really fun to drive. I hope I will be happy with it and don't get as radical as you are going. :D

I saw your car there and it looks great. Hope she will be ready soon, I know you waited a looooong time. :cool: :cheers:
Old 08-22-2002, 12:43 AM
SomeDay
Instructor

I can tell you from experience that adding a pusher fan won't help. Gonna try a 2950 cfm fan to replace the ATI fan.
http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page16.html
Old 08-22-2002, 12:53 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (2000^C5)

My car went to 230 coolant temps down to 178 now by cleaning crap out between radiator and ac condensor and by running during the summer 80% distilled water, 20% coolant and 2 bottles of water wetter.

Also, make sure fans are coming on around 170 and run a 160 hypertech stat. But then again i am not running big cubes or a procharger and maybe a BE COOL Radiator would get it done for you.

Goodluck with that MONSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Nitrovette :cheers:

[Modified by Nitrovette, 3:11 PM 8/22/2002]
Old 08-22-2002, 02:09 AM
SCOTTYV17
Cruising

we just installed our ati p-1sc and our having a rise in temps at idle with a/c on also ... we haven`t had the PCM tuned yet this may help .. but we are now waiting for our procharger to return from being upgraded to a d-1sc and the PCM has been sent to ed wright and hopefully things will run a tad cooler now 225+ (we did have the ATI fan with the reversed wiring)
possible BE COOL rad coming if the tuning doesn`t help ....
waiting on some other goodies we ordered today ,
kirban shifter
spec stage 3 clutch with adj master cylinder set up
brake duct screens
coolie shifter ****
hypertech 160 thermostat
katech billet tensioner

scott

[Modified by SCOTTYV17, 6:10 AM 8/22/2002]
Old 08-23-2002, 12:26 AM
livinitup
Instructor

Mine is running cooler now with that $150 switch that turns the fan on early but sitting in traffic the temp will rise to 230. I'm wondering about this stuff <http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm> that I read about in the letters section of the 9/02 Car and Driver (p. 18). But like the editor said, it isn't approved by any automaker. I might try it, though.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (livinitup)

Mine is running cooler now with that $150 switch that turns the fan on early but sitting in traffic the temp will rise to 230.
Heck, that doesn't sound bad. I've seen 240 with my stock 02 Z06 (although I didn't like it). I just ordered a 172 stat and a Vinci Constant Fan Monitor kit so we'll see how that works. The Vinci unit and a 160 stat worked great in my LT4.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:38 PM
KerryH
Instructor

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (livinitup)

Please don't waste your money on that $ 150.00 switch, man they really seen you coming on that one. It's just an off the shelf switch from pep boys that sells for $ 39.00. Some one in one of the other threads in a different area here explains it and how exactly to install it. Did one on a friends car in little less that an hour. Works great, and because we didn't buy it from someone calling it a "corvette" part we saved $ 111.00.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:50 PM
Mad_Dog
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Mine is running cooler now with that $150 switch that turns the fan on early but sitting in traffic the temp will rise to 230. I'm wondering about this stuff <http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm> that I read about in the letters section of the 9/02 Car and Driver (p. 18). But like the editor said, it isn't approved by any automaker. I might try it, though.
I spoke with them and you will have to put in a larger radiator if you use it with a SC. :mad
Old 09-24-2002, 12:41 AM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I'd check with Andy and A&A Corvettes. He redesigned some of the ATI installation, and was able to retain the facotry fans I beleive, among other enhancements, including some better clearance.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:22 AM
Red C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (kewlbrz)

No overheating for me, just keep losing belts. :confused:
Old 09-24-2002, 09:02 AM
bradfordjr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

tscales:

I was having the same overheating issues as you :yesnod: I finally went with a BeCool Radiator and a 2350 CFM replacement fan for the ATI :jester
I also flushed-out the coolant and went with 2 gallons of distilled water, 2 water-weter, and the rest dexcool. My car rarely gets near 200* now, even in stop-and-go traffic :D

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done?

Old 09-24-2002, 09:48 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (bradfordjr)

I also have the BeCool and the bigger fan. It's fine, under 200 in almost every situation except stopped in traffic in 95+ degree heat. Then it climbs. How high? I don't know. I always turn off the air at about 220.

Mike's got some changes to make to put the stock fans back in and that should do it.

Tom
Old 09-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (bradfordjr)

I finally went with a BeCool Radiator and a 2350 CFM replacement fan for the ATI
Please post the fan brand, model, and where you purchased it. I have only had minor problems with overheating so I want to install a higher CFM fan this winter when the snow is flying.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:22 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Re: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done? (Jim Shearer)

There are some good points here.
First is that the individuals with larger displacement motors need a bigger radiator. 427's getting hot are nothing new to the Corvette (I almost bought a 1968 427, but it was overheating). I think all the guys I know with Super Strokers use a larger capacity/bigger core rad...

There are a couple of fixes that only a couple of places that I would trust could fix your car.

Goldenwestperformance.com (GWP) who uses an after market 3 core single intercooler w/new plumbing. They did a car that recently won the "Silverstate" 150 MPH class. Averaging 149 MPH, 1 hour, in the high desert, and never got above 205 degrees.

Then there is A&A Corvette, who have also re-configured the rad to run the stock fans (2 are better than 1).

I think Xtreme is also looking into similar options,,but I am not sure.

B Cool also sells a straight blade fan that replaces the 8 blade fan that comes with the ATI kit...it supposedly draws in around 650 more cfm of air.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Overheating with an ATI Procharger -- what have you done?