C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MM catch can full of coolant ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Default MM catch can full of coolant ?

Stock block LS6, ARP studs, AI ported 243s, meth, novi 1500, tick blower cam

Car was running great when the trans went, so I had the trans rebuilt. Planned on driving it tomorrow so I checked the PCV MM catch can today, and it was full of very clean coolant.

The oil was not milky, only had 562 miles on it and looked like very slightly used oil. Also not missing any coolant.

WTF???

Boost proof end of can goes to blower filter, -10 an on can goes to -10 an on oil cap

Last edited by nullpointer; 08-20-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I have seen brand new looking coolant come out of an oil pan before. After sitting the oil and coolant separate. You will only have the milkshake looking stuff if the engine has been ran recently. Drain your oil and see what's up.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

There is no possible way ever a correctly installed catch can should ever be remotely near any coolant.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:37 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There is no possible way ever a correctly installed catch can should ever be remotely near any coolant.
My thought exactly, which is why I am confused.

The -10 an port on the can goes to the -10 an oil cap adapter. Boost proof port goes to the blower air filter, that's it.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
I have seen brand new looking coolant come out of an oil pan before. After sitting the oil and coolant separate. You will only have the milkshake looking stuff if the engine has been ran recently. Drain your oil and see what's up.
I have only a few minutes of run time on the oil, I'll have to run it a bit and then check.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nullpointer
I have only a few minutes of run time on the oil, I'll have to run it a bit and then check.
OK don't bend any rods or trash your bearings.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Update: Oil looks fine, clean as its brand new oil. How fast would you trash the bearings if there were some coolant in the oil? Thinking of staying out of boost and driving around the block a few times, then checking oil and catch can.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:10 AM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

If it were my car I would drive it (easy) and see if it repeated the issue, but that's just me. If you haven't already done it pull and check the plugs for good measure. I don't really see you pushing water, but stranger things have happened.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by CamminC5
If it were my car I would drive it (easy) and see if it repeated the issue, but that's just me. If you haven't already done it pull and check the plugs for good measure. I don't really see you pushing water, but stranger things have happened.

I don't see this setup pushing water either, I planned on driving it easy tonight to see if it fills the catch can. If not, then add some boost. If it didn't start, idle, rev perfectly I would be more worried.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi , I'm redoing my fuel system, due to pressure issues , got the car back from tuner and while working on it I happened to notice oil level on my c/ can was at mid point on the external tube , took it out yesterday and emptied it into a jar , em that looks like coolant .

I am using prestones yellow , ended up with half a jar and a couple of drips of white froth on top. So I know exactly how you feel mate.

Motor has about 600 tuning miles on it , drivers side valve cover to cc then to air filter box, pass side to another cc to intake tube .

Oil looks a little dark but no coolant ??? .

I paid real attention when bolting up the heads , 15lbs boost could that be heads lifting .

Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Could also be a cracked block or head.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

didn't want to go there though

Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

don't drive it. check for a blown head gasket and check the pressure in the cooling system. if it won't hold pressure, you have a problem.

my bet is that the cooling system is leaking inwards and coolant is dripping down into the oil

keep driving it and you'll have a milkshake with the associated damage. ask me how I know (turbo buick)
Old 08-26-2015, 03:39 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

I took at look at the MM PCV can routing and compared it to the car, as the shop modified how I had it setup. Originally I followed the directions provided by MM, but the shop didn't know it was a PCV can. After 20 minutes of correcting the routing, I have it matching the instructions.

Drove the car for 35 miles and this is what was in the can, didn't smell like antifreeze. Will still check oil and perform a leak down test. Also I drove it to test out the transmission as it just got rebuilt, stubborn I know.

Last edited by nullpointer; 08-26-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:42 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nullpointer
I took at look at the MM PCV can routing and compared it to the car, as the shop modified how I had it setup. Originally I followed the directions provided by MM, but the shop didn't know it was a PCV can. After 20 minutes of correcting the routing, I have it matching the instructions.

Drove the car for 35 miles and this is what was in the can, didn't smell like antifreeze. Will still check oil and perform a leak down test.

Is that raw fuel ?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Did they plug it into the coolant crossover tube?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
Is that raw fuel ?
Doesn't smell like gas

Originally Posted by CamminC5
Did they plug it into the coolant crossover tube?
No, the valley was tied to the valve covers. Valve cover to breather, breather to blower filter. I see no way the motor could breath properly, but then again I don't know too much about the PCV system.

Get notified of new replies

To MM catch can full of coolant ?

Old 09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Hi
Just wondered if you have found anything more.

I have just pressure tested my coolant system, pumped it to 15psi and it didn't move at all over a 2 hour period, cold .

Could you get a different result with a hot motor, might be a it dodgey trying to test with hot coolant, pressure is pressure thinking more expansion of heads and block.

I did put the contents of the c/ can in the freezer, was solid within an hour. I'm using a 50/50 mix which according to bottle label should be good to -37 , will test a sample from the coolant tank as well but maybe it's not antifreeze in my cc .

Is it possible it's just moisture built up from random tuning , stop start etc

Motor hasn't had a chance to bed in ?

Is there any truth in " every gallon of fuel you burn you produce a gallon of water " and could that get passed the rings and into the sump, evaporate and end up in the cc .

Seems odd these are low miles motors .

I may be though

Old 09-02-2015, 03:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm at a loss on this one. I could see how the catch can could capture the coolant once it was in the oil.. the question is how the heck did it get to the oil?

Do you have an engine oil cooler built into the radiator by chance?

Only other options seem like bad ones that would be more obvious

I'd keep a very close eye on what your oil, coolant and catch can trappings look like for a while.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:53 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw the stuff today in person that was in catch can and it wasnt coolant. also we pressure tested the cooling system and it has no leaks and did a leak down test on all 4 cylinders on right bank and all were good. Also the coolant level hasn't gone down at all.

Quick Reply: MM catch can full of coolant ?