C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt slip horror on blown c5z

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 PM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@AandASuperchargers
If this is the same person. I spoke with OP when he called me. Story goes his "shop" was afraid to tighten the belt. They wouldn't do it so he tightened the belt himself and boost came back up.
I'm still trying to get clear info from OP and the "shop" on this one.
Yeah that was me josh, thanks for your help that day...
Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Depends which kit you have, ours has enough tension to hold a six rib with that pulley, others will not.
running a ecs kit and i have zero belt slip issues at all
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CamminC5
Don't tell them what the tensioner is used on from the factory. They will explode...

Thanks for all the R&D and headaches yall go though so we don't have too. There's a few of us that appreciate all that yall do.

Are you talking about the ford tensioner?

They can know. because one thing is for sure, you're not going to buy said tensioner and bolt it to the front of your engine and go. It's not happening. ��. The tensioner itself is on Amazon for about $40.

Though if a guy had access to a "cough" mill "cough cough" and the know how to run it, he could adapt just about any tensioner he wanted to suit his needs.

when we buy "kits" from a tensioner "Kit" to a blower "Kit" to a turbo "Kit". We pay cost and ability to run machinery. I bought the big tensioner. It's a nice piece. It still had to be modified to suit my liking but it's cool.

One thing is for sure, if someone is going to do it and they have a oversized balanced they better pay attention to the tensioner position If it isn't correct and your belt breaks, you will be in for a big surprise! it will ram the tensioner pulley will head butt your balancer.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 08-28-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 PM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Here is the update after some time trying the figure out the issues, we ended up getting a secondary drive from Josh at A&A corvette. We installed it and it helped some what, the car saw a high of 15 psi at 6,000 rpm and than it dropped off to 12psi in the higher rpm range. I don't get it, my builder says everything is properly aligned and there aren't any other issues present besides the belt slipping up top. He used the gates laser alignment tool and tighten the **** out of it lol. What are we missing here, he recommends carbonite coating as the next step. Help me out asap guys, I spent tons of money to upgrade to the T-trim and added the secondary drive and now I'm making less power. New numbers were 666hp, before it was 700+ and I'm running out of funds and that is my daily driver. Car ran flawlessly before upgrading the new head unit, please help me out
Attached Images  

Last edited by RedBlownZ06; 09-25-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:27 AM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Is your crank pinned ?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 PM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by lsxvette
Is your crank pinned ?
Yes sir it is
Old 09-27-2015, 11:46 AM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6

They can know. because one thing is for sure, you're not going to buy said tensioner and bolt it to the front of your engine and go. It's not happening. ��. The tensioner itself is on Amazon for about $40.

Though if a guy had access to a "cough" mill "cough cough" and the know how to run it, he could adapt just about any tensioner he wanted to suit his needs.

when we buy "kits" from a tensioner "Kit" to a blower "Kit" to a turbo "Kit". We pay cost and ability to run machinery. I bought the big tensioner. It's a nice piece. It still had to be modified to suit my liking but it's cool.

One thing is for sure, if someone is going to do it and they have a oversized balanced they better pay attention to the tensioner position If it isn't correct and your belt breaks, you will be in for a big surprise! it will ram the tensioner pulley will head butt your balancer.
Do you think maybe my tensioner needs to be replaced???
Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBlownZ06
Do you think maybe my tensioner needs to be replaced???
No. Not unless it's defective.

Post up a picture of where your manual tensioner is set.

See if you can tell where your spring loaded tensioner is set too. Maybe stick your phone down there and get a pic.

Post it up.

When you say you're sure the crank is pinned, did you do it yourself or see it done yourself or are you simply trusting the shop that you paid to do it?

Have you removed the pulley and key from the blower to verify it's there and not sheared off?

Have you done a boost-leak check? A visual inspection isn't good enough. If it's leaking at 15psi, you need to get a regulator or at least a gauge and run the boost up to 15 to check it. You can use your boost gauge if you have one or log it if you have a SD tune. If you have meth, test this with the key off or meth system turned off.

Too many of these on the road without issue. I've run 21psi, with a T trim on the standard A&A setup and the boost never dropped off.

That was with a green belt BTW.

Using a different belt composition won't increase your wrap. I'm not sure where that's coming from.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:12 PM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
No. Not unless it's defective.

Post up a picture of where your manual tensioner is set.

See if you can tell where your spring loaded tensioner is set too. Maybe stick your phone down there and get a pic.

Post it up.

When you say you're sure the crank is pinned, did you do it yourself or see it done yourself or are you simply trusting the shop that you paid to do it?

Have you removed the pulley and key from the blower to verify it's there and not sheared off?

Have you done a boost-leak check? A visual inspection isn't good enough. If it's leaking at 15psi, you need to get a regulator or at least a gauge and run the boost up to 15 to check it. You can use your boost gauge if you have one or log it if you have a SD tune. If you have meth, test this with the key off or meth system turned off.

Too many of these on the road without issue. I've run 21psi, with a T trim on the standard A&A setup and the boost never dropped off.

That was with a green belt BTW.

Using a different belt composition won't increase your wrap. I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Not on meth, using e85... My builder said they pinned the crank so I'm taking his word. I'll tell him to check for boost leaks also and see what they can find, like you said tons of guys out there with similar set ups running strong. A 6 rib and secondary drive should be sufficient for my boost levels and power. I called A&A and the said they recommend going to a 8 rib, but I just don't have the funds for that right now... I'm sure if I can figure this out my car will be making good #s again

Last edited by RedBlownZ06; 09-27-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:53 PM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by lsxvette
Is your crank pinned ?
Would an electric water pump help?

Last edited by RedBlownZ06; 09-27-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6

HI Mike
A LITTLE HEADS UP
As far as the tensioner hitting the balancer there is a special tensioner mnt that is used for the OD balancers to prevent this from happening. There was one for the original style and also one for the new one also. Was done within a few day of the std being completed. When a person doesnt purchase a balancer from ECS they would definately not know about this but normally goes hand in hand with a 10% or 15% swap. On the older setup it was easy to grind the hole slightly but in the newer style you really cant. There is also no way to make a one fits all without sacrificing some range of adjust-ability when a person is running the 6 rib stock diameter balancer and belt.

bob

Last edited by RpeterK; 09-27-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBlownZ06
Not on meth, using e85... My builder said they pinned the crank so I'm taking his word. I'll tell him to check for boost leaks also and see what they can find, like you said tons of guys out there with similar set ups running strong. A 6 rib and secondary drive should be sufficient for my boost levels and power. I called A&A and the said they recommend going to a 8 rib, but I just don't have the funds for that right now... I'm sure if I can figure this out my car will be making good #s again
What's your name so I can look up your order and call you about this. There is something else going on here. I've personally run A&A 6-rib bracket with Secondary drive on a T-trim with a tiny 2.87" 6-rib pulley from Vortech and ran 9.55@144mph in stock bottom end LS3 on meth. The blower was maxed out and over spun but it ran the times I needed.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 PM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh@AandASuperchargers
What's your name so I can look up your order and call you about this. There is something else going on here. I've personally run A&A 6-rib bracket with Secondary drive on a T-trim with a tiny 2.87" 6-rib pulley from Vortech and ran 9.55@144mph in stock bottom end LS3 on meth. The blower was maxed out and over spun but it ran the times I needed.
Hey Josh my name is not on the order as I've gone through my builder for everything, he purchases all the parts on my behalf. His name is Jim Voyles, owner of Cal Speed and performance here in Bakersfield CA. You can call him and pull up the order under his name or speed shop or if you like you can reach me directly at 661/302/0626, my name is Robert
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2015, 05:52 AM
RedBlownZ06
Racer

Just a a little update on my situation, I have great news guys. Both cal speed and Josh @a&a did an amazing job helping me out. Everything checked out on the boost leak test so we had to start from scratch on trouble shooting the issue. Than it dawned on me I had the old bracket design from a@a corvette. What we did was find another new style design bracket and switched to a an 8 rib set up. That was the answer, solved all my belt slip issues. The 8 rib and new bracket along with secondary drive did a great job. I see about 16 psi all the way to redline with 3.33 pulley. Car is making mid 700's now, thought she would make a little more but I'm happy to be back on the road. Thanks again to Josh at a@a corvette for all his help, this guy went beyond and over for me to try to help me.

Last edited by RedBlownZ06; 10-16-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Ksths2
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool, glad you got it figured out! Josh has always been helpful to me as well
Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Woohoo just glad I could help make it all work out!

Quick Reply: Belt slip horror on blown c5z