C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE with Stock Bottom End

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default HPDE with Stock Bottom End

Anyone HPDE (~6+ times / year) with a stock bottom end C5 with a centrifugal supercharger and not popped it? How long has it survived?

Whats your setup: LS1 or LS6, who's kit, boost, HP, meth, ... and most importantly who did the tune?

Did you have to add larger radiator and engine oil cooler?

Any other mods?

I want to do some work on the car this winter and trying to decide if its safe (with what I do with the car) to supercharge and run low boost or should I just add heads to my current mods (cam/headers/catless/ls6 intake - kept both steam tubes). Wow, that was a long sentence.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 09-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Yellow03Z06
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be fine but I would at the very least work on some cooling mods (radiator and fans)
Old 09-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

So nobody here HPDE's on a supercharged stock motor??

Thanks Yellow, I'd like to hear from people that are actually doing it.

Last edited by Rx7Rob; 09-03-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:05 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I know of a zo6 that's roadraces his AandA car quite a bit. 3.8 or 3.6 pulley shorty headers 600 rwhp 91 octane no meth. Been that way for a few years.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:13 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Just finished my 1st one w/ A&A Ysi kit...8lbs, meth, little over 500rwhp, valve springs,trunions, push rods, summit balancer - all the rest stock...
Was on a smaller test track (NCCAR), highest oil temp got was 263 but that was after a back to back session, other than that around 230, coolant 210-220...

Give one a try, ya can always back off if necessary...
Old 09-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Ah, finally there's one person! Ysi on a stock motor, how many track sessions do you have on the setup?

I talked to two of the kit companies (one last week, the other a few years ago). Both essentially said no problem at all with HPDE but need the oil & water coolers. My plan would be to run the largest pulley available to keep the power down as close to 500rwhp as possible. I'm going to be above that because of the current cam / headers.

I've had a few PM's from people saying to run away and stay all motor (they were speaking from experience) unless I'm not opposed to rebuilding (may be required very soon - its a crap shoot). Even after blowing the motor, some say its worth it.

My concern (beyond it not even making it off the dyno) is that when on the track I want to be focused on driving and not having to keep an eye on A/F ratio, fuel pressure, and having to drive in a specific manner to keep it alive.

But, I am the typical HP junkie! My modified motox bike is insane and even though I am faster on a bike with less power the adrenaline shakes make it worth it! Then again, that motor is bulletproof!

SBC: 600HP, 91 octane, no meth, stock pistons and compression Z06? Yikes, must have one of those good motors that can take abuse!

Anyone else ......

Originally Posted by oh1vette
Just finished my 1st one w/ A&A Ysi kit...8lbs, meth, little over 500rwhp, valve springs,trunions, push rods, summit balancer - all the rest stock...
Was on a smaller test track (NCCAR), highest oil temp got was 263 but that was after a back to back session, other than that around 230, coolant 210-220...

Give one a try, ya can always back off if necessary...
Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I ran mine at a track day with an A&A Vortech Si with 10lbs of boost and stock bottom end with 573rwhp. I was battling heat the whole time on a cool day (mid 70s). When driving it maybe 6/10's, it was hitting 263F oil temps within 3 laps. I never let it get any hotter than that, but it easily would have exceeded far beyond that. Hell, STOCK motors climb up to 300F when driven hard.

You'll need an excellent stand alone oil cooler at minimum. No question about it. Anyone not seeing very high oil temps simply isn't driving the car as hard as they think they are.

My car now has a forged motor, blower cam, and 12lbs of boost for 638rwhp. I won't be doing another track day until it at the very least has an oil cooler, and I won't be going at it too hard until it has a massive brake upgrade beyond just swapping pads, fluid, lines.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:18 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be more concerned about overwhelming hellish heat and the added weight of the supercharger on the nose of the car than I would the durability of stock rods and pistons.

Maybe with the proper heat reduction mods it would be fine, I couldn't say as I haven't seen it in person.

Running meth on a road course would suck. Imagine how large the reservoir would need to be to accommodate twenty minutes of incessant wide-open-throttle.

I'd probably do the standard cooling modifications and give it a whirl.

If it blows up you could sell off the supercharger system to defray the cost of a new NA motor.

I would highly recommend mixing in a can of unleaded Torco on track days. Cheap insurance.

The heat reduction modifications would still be useful even with a naturally aspirated setup.

The important thing to remember is to be predictable and slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE with Stock Bottom End

Quick Reply: HPDE with Stock Bottom End