C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

So the leak is either the corner joint of tge block/oilpan/timing cover junction or the oil galley plug right behind the PS pump.

Side note, have I got a sledgehammer to the nuts story for you sometime.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Hang in there man, it's just an arctic white thing, right?

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat, at this point there is nothing really pushing me to complete the car except for the fact that I want to enjoy it after all the hours that have been spent working on it. There is just something that feels good about completing a project.

I had a brief taste of what had been created last year and want to take it further. Just keep pushing forward, but take a break if needed. I took a break yesterday and it allowed me to think about how I wanted to approach the current situation and make the right choice.

You'll get there. You've already crossed many hurdles to get to this point.

such a pain this thing. I've had two artic white cars...both trained me the hard way. It is discouraging but I have come a long way as you said, I am this close, the car seems to be good otherwise, so I am just gonna get at it maybe tonight and get it done if possible. At least start it. Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by JoeyG
So the leak is either the corner joint of tge block/oilpan/timing cover junction or the oil galley plug right behind the PS pump.

Side note, have I got a sledgehammer to the nuts story for you sometime.
Bring the hammer.

I think I figured it out tho....and honestly, I am baffled, and a little disappointed in myself for not even thinking of it. Fortunately the technician working for us, did. Just talking to him this morning(i usually work on the car alone), mentioning the issue, he mentioned the valley cover, and that he had a car do the same thing once. Had an oil leak, couldn't find...etc.

Anyways we checked at the base of my throttle body area, and you can see oil. More than likely, that is it. Ordering a new valley cover gasket, and proceeding.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:18 AM
cmiller8006
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Smoove that's a good point, I have had oil issue around my engine as well, never thought it would be valley cover tho, but I do have oil around the back of the water pump and under the intake I found. Re used the old gasket. Oil was all over the place.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Smoove that's a good point, I have had oil issue around my engine as well, never thought it would be valley cover tho, but I do have oil around the back of the water pump and under the intake I found. Re used the old gasket. Oil was all over the place.
I can't believe I didn't even consider it. I guess it would only be experience that would make me go in that direction. Almost 20 years of working with LS stuff, you'd think I'd have run across that. Only reason my tech new is because he had the problem before. I wanna see I have seen the gaskets worn on many high mileage occasions as a tech but, never a leak like this. Live and learn right? Hopefully we're all better educated now for the possible issue.

I really did suspect the front cover myself, as the location of the fluid path. I almost think I reused this gasket as well, since it was kinda new but, that may be where I made a mistake. I always replace gaskets, I have a a few new ones always laying around for various parts but, I wanna say I remember NOT having a new one and wanted to get it done, and reused. Definitely a mistake on me.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I pushed some oil out of my front knock sensor grommet last weekend in ohio. I was not having any good luck in the mile events running over gate pressure last weekend.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

dang bro thats no good. I have the LS2 block with my knock sensors in the LS2 side location, top portion deleted.

Side note, I took off my intake, oil is everywhere. So, I found the leak for sure. New part shows up today so hopefully we'll be up again soon.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:07 PM
all4spl
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

let me get that cat back
Smoove (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by all4spl
let me get that cat back

Come up with 4 fried chickens and a coke, you might have yourself an exhaust.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Smoove
Come up with 4 fried chickens and a coke, you might have yourself an exhaust.

Beer chicken included in payment arrangements?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Beer chicken included in payment arrangements?
I'm 9 times out of ten a whiskey drinker....vodka is my morning drink....but I have been drinking lots of stella lately for some reason. So...I think we can work something out.

You still with that chick? You gotta come down to WPB if not and check out the local talent.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:30 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'm 9 times out of ten a whiskey drinker....vodka is my morning drink....but I have been drinking lots of stella lately for some reason. So...I think we can work something out.

You still with that chick? You gotta come down to WPB if not and check out the local talent.
No girl with me currently. Id be down for some FL fun if I had the time.

Beer chicken is chicken seasoned on the grill with a can of beer shoved in their abdomen hole.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

No girl with me currently. Id be down for some FL fun if I had the time.

Beer chicken is chicken seasoned on the grill with a can of beer shoved in their abdomen hole.

Less problems bro.

On a side note...

..I ordered a pretty sweet valley cover plate....for an LS1 with knock sensor relocation(so basically a smooth valley cover).... however....I am a doucher...since, I have an LS2....and I needed a valley plate WITH a female bung in place to screw in my oil pressure sensor. So..... I just ordered another plate lol...for a Gen 4 LS engine...which is basically also a smooth plate BUT,...I can drill and tap it for a 1/8th port for the pressure feed. Or...I can just leave it a blank panel...and relocate the oil pressure to one of the other ports on the block, and just lengthen the wires.

Anyways....i'm a doucher. New parts arrive on Friday. So...i'll dabble in the car again and shoot for this weekend that it'll be road worthy and drip free.

Which means I can drive it....
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Update:

So, I changed the valley cover gasket and went with a new low profile billet plate. In going to a new plate, I had to drill and tap a fitting for the oil pressure to get to the sensor(oil sensor relocation kit) I used a 1/8th tap....then went up to a -6....then to a -8...to the 12mmx1.5 oil pressure sensor switch....which is now roughly along side of my driver side fuel rail.

Oil leak from valley cover is fixed....however....I am reading LOW OIL PRESSURE.... roughly 5psi...or lower. I thought, maybe it is air in the line...so I cracked the union before the sensor open to relieve pressure...at first, I didn't have anything come out...then it did started pushing oil. I then tightened...went back to digital cluster gauge....and still, same pressure. Cracked the line open again...still, had oil coming out, seemed more so, however my pressure did not change on cluster.

Is it coincidence? Did my sensor fail? Did I miss something on the install? I did a good job soldering the wires so I don't think I am having a wire issue. It was like 90 in the shop on Saturday so I honestly didn't invest much more time into it. Today I will. If sensor is good....I will end up just pulling my oil pressure from one of the side block ports but...kinda over the hunting **** down endlessly.

Also replaced my oil feed block, and tap'd that for the oil temp sensor. All in all...making progress but...always taking those parallel side steps.

Last edited by Smoove; 05-16-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Fixed issue...relocated to another location, no problem.

Now...coolant leaking from -20 fittings. Didn't leak last week...but...they're leaking now lol.

FML...and this car.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 PM
jdoyle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

your perserverance keeps me perservering with my own car. power steering leaking from the ps cooler, oil leak from BOTH valve covers and a transmission fluid leak.
Smoove (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdoyle
your perserverance keeps me perservering with my own car. power steering leaking from the ps cooler, oil leak from BOTH valve covers and a transmission fluid leak.
When it rains it pours right?? Stay on target.

It does suck tho. Depending on your config, power steering cooler not horrible to get to...especially on a lift or safely high enough to get under vehicle(jack stands). Oil leak from valve covers isn't bad at all, just need a 10mm and 8mm socket and some brake clean(and new gaskets). Trans leak hopefully would be a bad fitting but is likely a pan/or o-ring seal failure. depending on where.

You definitely gotta love these cars to constantly work on them. That, or be broke enough to not be able to drop it off at a specialty shop and have it all banged out lol. I manage a shop....I have contemplated just printing a ticket for my own car...and running it through the shop and letting the crew do my dirty work but something about wanting to everything(within skill set) keeping me from doing that.

Today or tomorrow...I'll spend some more time on it and go from there. Thats all I can do.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Update with cooling:

Faulty fittings. Manufacture is sending me all new designed fittings, and hose. No questions asked. Very stand up thing to do in my opinion. Parts will show up probably next week. I'll re-do the coolant process all over again, and go from there.

Get notified of new replies

To The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 PM
jdoyle
Racer

you got that right. stay on target, stay on target.

i drive a black NA 99 camaro ss. im waiting on the right deal for an EB c5z.

I keep the ps cooler right above the front air dam so that is easy to get to. It will just be my first time working with AN fittings. I was told to choke up on my wrench to mimic an AN wrench. I think my trans leak is from the drain plug. my thoughts are that putting thread sealant on a drain plug is not a good idea, right?

we are the same. i prefer to do everything myself. there too many positives of doing it myself to have someone else work on my car. Learn something, know my car, save money. besides, most of the time i have someone else work on my car i end up disappointed.

id really like to get a lift. my car is low enough that getting all 4 tires in the air with a floor jack is kind of a pain in the ***.

When it rains it pours right?? Stay on target.

It does suck tho. Depending on your config, power steering cooler not horrible to get to...especially on a lift or safely high enough to get under vehicle(jack stands). Oil leak from valve covers isn't bad at all, just need a 10mm and 8mm socket and some brake clean(and new gaskets). Trans leak hopefully would be a bad fitting but is likely a pan/or o-ring seal failure. depending on where.

You definitely gotta love these cars to constantly work on them. That, or be broke enough to not be able to drop it off at a specialty shop and have it all banged out lol. I manage a shop....I have contemplated just printing a ticket for my own car...and running it through the shop and letting the crew do my dirty work but something about wanting to everything(within skill set) keeping me from doing that.

Today or tomorrow...I'll spend some more time on it and go from there. Thats all I can do.
Smoove (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdoyle
you got that right. stay on target, stay on target.

i drive a black NA 99 camaro ss. im waiting on the right deal for an EB c5z.

I keep the ps cooler right above the front air dam so that is easy to get to. It will just be my first time working with AN fittings. I was told to choke up on my wrench to mimic an AN wrench. I think my trans leak is from the drain plug. my thoughts are that putting thread sealant on a drain plug is not a good idea, right?

we are the same. i prefer to do everything myself. there too many positives of doing it myself to have someone else work on my car. Learn something, know my car, save money. besides, most of the time i have someone else work on my car i end up disappointed.

id really like to get a lift. my car is low enough that getting all 4 tires in the air with a floor jack is kind of a pain in the ***.

AN fittings aren't bad to work with, they're usually standard sizing. I see some trans companies sending back transmissions with thread sealant on the sensors. I don't see a problem with it however if it is a sensor leaking, sensors usually have a crush washer built into them. If it is a drain plug, you can use some thread sealant on it no problem. My car is also low...usually takes a few minutes just racking it up on a lift. Makes it a pain but....worth it. Keep hunting for the Z...you'll find it. They're great cars.... C5's are probably one of the nicest driving vettes(comparing it to all years that I drive weekly for work-c1-c2-c3-c4-c5-c6-c7) that I have ever driven. Just needs some modern updates...great car. I may want another just as a driver.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:16 PM
jdoyle
Racer

AN fittings aren't bad to work with, they're usually standard sizing. I see some trans companies sending back transmissions with thread sealant on the sensors. I don't see a problem with it however if it is a sensor leaking, sensors usually have a crush washer built into them. If it is a drain plug, you can use some thread sealant on it no problem. My car is also low...usually takes a few minutes just racking it up on a lift. Makes it a pain but....worth it. Keep hunting for the Z...you'll find it. They're great cars.... C5's are probably one of the nicest driving vettes(comparing it to all years that I drive weekly for work-c1-c2-c3-c4-c5-c6-c7) that I have ever driven. Just needs some modern updates...great car. I may want another just as a driver.
sorry for the late reply. thank you for the info. i threw some thread sealant on the trans drain plug. my new valve cover gaskets arrived too. I need to put the fluid back in, install the gaskets and repair the PS leak.

im keeping up the search, every day after work! now that I think about it though, i should prob include a FRC in my search. perhaps nassau blue? it more than likely will be cheaper (so ill have more mod money leftover and i wont feel so bad if the mods blow a part of the car up!! (rearend))

a pal of mine had a black blow 04 z with a forged short block that made around 725ish rwhp. damn thing was like a missile.

Last edited by jdoyle; 05-31-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY