C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Video of the day before the event...

and here is a video of my cousins C5 that I drove at the event.

in car

Last edited by Smoove; 01-24-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:39 PM
jdoyle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you and your cousin have some killer rides
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdoyle
you and your cousin have some killer rides
Thank you!

We do our best!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
Thank you!

We do our best!
Are you going to the next race in S Florida? I'm trying to decide myself but am leaning towards it. I shouldn't have a problem getting the tranny sorted out by then.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike04
Are you going to the next race in S Florida? I'm trying to decide myself but am leaning towards it. I shouldn't have a problem getting the tranny sorted out by then.
I want to but, I have put soo much effort and money into this last event, just to test....and not even make a pass, I may end up skipping the next one. Spent way too much time with the car, and money, to throw it back into another event, and still need some things. Probably gonna attend, just not race. If I do, it will be in another car. I need to buy a cluster, and get a few other things working well before I blow another crapload of money, untested.

Registration is tomorrow. If it was in two weeks, I would say yes....I just don't want to be signing up again with an car that isn't 100%.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

I want to but, I have put soo much effort and money into this last event, just to test....and not even make a pass, I may end up skipping the next one. Spent way too much time with the car, and money, to throw it back into another event, and still need some things. Probably gonna attend, just not race. If I do, it will be in another car. I need to buy a cluster, and get a few other things working well before I blow another crapload of money, untested.

Registration is tomorrow. If it was in two weeks, I would say yes....I just don't want to be signing up again with an car that isn't 100%.
I've been fighting gremlins too, tons of $$ and time and a let down at the last for 3 races... I feel my car has the bugs out of it except for the tranny needing to be replaced. I'd like the registration to be out a few weeks also but I think Ill sign up tomorrow. I can always sell the spot if things don't go well, as fast as they sell out you would think you could sell them easy enough. A tranny is a pretty straight forward mechanical failure to fix, I hope.

I plan to do a few more mods while its apart too.
Smoove (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

I just got an email that the runway rental has an issue. Looks like you might get your 2 week delay. You have pull to make things happen evidently
Smoove (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

I've been fighting gremlins too, tons of $$ and time and a let down at the last for 3 races... I feel my car has the bugs out of it except for the tranny needing to be replaced. I'd like the registration to be out a few weeks also but I think Ill sign up tomorrow. I can always sell the spot if things don't go well, as fast as they sell out you would think you could sell them easy enough. A tranny is a pretty straight forward mechanical failure to fix, I hope.

I plan to do a few more mods while its apart too.
I just got an email that the runway rental has an issue. Looks like you might get your 2 week delay. You have pull to make things happen evidently

Went for a log run this morning, still having an issue. Not a cam sensor...so I must have a wiring issue. Gonna look more into it more, and we'll see if I want to mess with it over the weekend. We'll see how the day goes. Gonna try and get our dyno up and running so I can stop doing street testing for this issue. I got the email as well, we'll see what happens. If I miss it, I will be at the dragstrip quite a bit.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Having issues still with holley ecu's, alternators...you name it. Working with holley to fix some stuff but, in this video, it is the first wot pass with new setup ever. At the end, after coming to a stop, the vehicle bucked and did all kinds of weird stuff. A simple key cycle fixed it but obviously still have an issue.

First time wot in years.

nullpointer (02-10-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Old 02-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

What rpm were you shifting at and what tires are you using?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was the launch fail due to a tuning issue, or just a grabby clutch and some good ol driver error?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:04 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
What rpm were you shifting at and what tires are you using?
6750 is when the shift light is told to illuminate. I have to look at log to be certain.
335-30-18 R888s at 30psi. This is the normal street setup.

Originally Posted by Pete W
Was the launch fail due to a tuning issue, or just a grabby clutch and some good ol driver error?

Hard to say, I think it was a combination of a few things. I feel very confident driving any 3 pedal car, this one however, is giving me some new challenges. The clutch is a tilton triple carbon, weighing 14.7lbs with flywheel attached to it. Being so light, the car revs very fast, and also comes off throttle fast. The response from a turbo car is usually a little lazy, this one, not so much. So, light clutch, and than it seems very on/off-ish, even tho they advertise this thing to be able to be slipped for days, it is a little funky to get used to.

Best way I can describe this thing, is look at GT-Le mans class cars leaving pit lane. Notice they all have to rev it to kingdom come and slip it out, or they leave in a big nasty burnout. That's how this thing seems to want to leave. So, light clutch, on off like personalty. Then traction. The car hooked,...so, I probably should have revved it higher but I was just trying to roll out. So, new setup, light clutch, on/off, and traction. I would say,....all of the above was a key factor to what happened on that launch. Anyway you look at it,...it was a fail on my end.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

6750 is when the shift light is told to illuminate. I have to look at log to be certain.
335-30-18 R888s at 30psi. This is the normal street setup.

Hard to say, I think it was a combination of a few things. I feel very confident driving any 3 pedal car, this one however, is giving me some new challenges. The clutch is a tilton triple carbon, weighing 14.7lbs with flywheel attached to it. Being so light, the car revs very fast, and also comes off throttle fast. The response from a turbo car is usually a little lazy, this one, not so much. So, light clutch, and than it seems very on/off-ish, even tho they advertise this thing to be able to be slipped for days, it is a little funky to get used to.

Best way I can describe this thing, is look at GT-Le mans class cars leaving pit lane. Notice they all have to rev it to kingdom come and slip it out, or they leave in a big nasty burnout. That's how this thing seems to want to leave. So, light clutch, on off like personalty. Then traction. The car hooked,...so, I probably should have revved it higher but I was just trying to roll out. So, new setup, light clutch, on/off, and traction. I would say,....all of the above was a key factor to what happened on that launch. Anyway you look at it,...it was a fail on my end.
A lot of that though is those GT type cars dont do standing starts ( at least nothing like drag racing ), so their gearing would be very tall and optimised for racing once on the move.

If you've a very tall 1st gear, a grabby clutch and on a sticky track....you'd need some sort of 2 step, launch control or whatever you want to call it to allow you to leave hard without it bogging in.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

I have all of that on the holley efi system, it was the 2nd test pass on new setup so hadn't gotten to any sort of real launch attempts. This was just supposed to be a light test on the street wheels. If it would have held up, I would have kept going that night and likely gotten a decent launch out of it eventually.

Quick Reply: The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY