C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't wait to see this go down the 1/2 mile.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
the crunchtime before an event begins! in for vids of 1/2 mile pulls

Loosing my hair. Oh wait...i'm already bald!!!

Definetly crunch time. vids to come!

Originally Posted by Pete W
I can't wait to see this go down the 1/2 mile.
Mannnnnn....I can't wait myself! Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Update:

Ok, so this thing wanted to fight me the entire way,...still is a little but now we're on the right side of the fence.

I had a bad dominator, sent back, dudes at holley took care of me BIGTIME! Thank you HOLLEY EFI!

I than had a bad fuel pump. My 4303 didn't like sitting with E85, even with the stabilizer. Dealing with magnafuel now over it.

Had two bad fuel filters, even though I did clean these out not long ago...so instead of cleaning again, I just replaced.

Cleaned entire fuel system, tanks included. Fired up, and cleaned everything again.

Tuner didn't like something with injectors, so ended up having those flowed, in the meantime, a friend let me borrow his ID1300s, which worked great(tuner liked)...my old injectors, they flow 1560-1580.... I decided to remove and overnight holley 160s low impedence injectors, which are now installed, and working awesome.

This video is of the 1300s installed, and NOT final tuned(we didn't spend much time cause we were not keeping injectors).

Here ya go.

Car is NOW tuned with the 1600cc holleys, and running very smoothing. Ready for a road test but I need to button up a few things on the car, and I will roadtest tomorrow. C02 also getting filled tomorrow, and should be rocking and rolling by weekend or early next week. Looks like unless I break something....I will make the event in this car. Also, trying to finish the F1X C6 for event as well, badly.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:30 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

sounds nasty! curious what kind of traction you get with those r888. love the exhaust too.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (01-16-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice! Man that's a lot of issues.. glad you figured them out!
Smoove (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys.

Car is up and running on Sunday. Had to do some cruising speed tuning. Temps, which have always been in the 180s, even new setup, before holley efi, now I saw as high as 220. So perhaps I have an air bubble, or something is acting up. Fans ARE on and blasting well. So thats an issue,...not so much for the half mile tho. Overall, still need to do lots of stuff, fill C02, mount tank, test that system,...final tuning for the half mile, clean...test, test, test.

Lots to do...plus I have one more car to try and get ready..equally as far off from finishing, if not more lol.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Found I had some fouled plugs. This is with fouled plugs...notice the surge. Surge is now gone.

Will get more vids later.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

So the car is running better. Ended up backing the scale down on the way the car revs. It revved so fast, it was hard to keep up with it. Seems like an NA small cube'd motor. Anyways, running much better, getting more E85, testing, and maybe I will get it on our dyno if I can get it working, or on another dyno before Thursday. If not, street hits it is for testing. Likely my first real time under power in the car, will be at the half mile. Time to confront the wolf.

Working on an over temp issue while driving(in between, during, and after work) but at a stop, vehicle is in the 180s.

Current tune:

Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

You got an air damn for the rad and the rad area blocked off? Car sounds good btw.
Smoove (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
You got an air damn for the rad and the rad area blocked off? Car sounds good btw.
No shroud,air damn yes.

Thanks man.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:41 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Car sounds awesome, shenenigans vid was nice to see her moving! Still my favorite boosted c5, and I even own one lol

Do your stock gauges work with the dominator?

Last edited by nullpointer; 01-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Smoove (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Car sounds awesome, shenenigans vid was nice to see her moving! Still my favorite boosted c5, and I even own one lol

Do your stock gauges work with the dominator?
Awesome man, THANK YOU!

Lots of issues, we ran into. Some, admittedly self induced, others, well, just my luck. Today, finally tho, we have everything working in the car that is NEEDED.

I am no longer going to run the factory gauge cluster. Just too many things needed to make it happen. I guess if I would have ran the stock harness, and piggy backed off some stuff, I could have made it work but...not exactly. What most people will not tell you, I will tell you what I found. For every sensor input, oil pressure, coolant, iat, rpm, cam...etc...you would need to run a redundant sensor, so that both ecu's(factory and holley) are happy. Meaning, two of everything. Easy to do for lets say, an ect sensor...but, other stuff like throttle body and pedal.....those are more of a pain in the *** to try and fit another one of, or the guts of one, into the car.

To me, running the stock gauges, for THAT....is not worth it. So right now, I removed my cluster, unplugged my ecm, and pulled out all associated fuses for the ecm. Everything BCM wise works,...radio...ac...etc. Once I have the race behind me, I will end up removing the entire factory harness. It probably weighs 10lbs with ecm lugs. Figuring out which gauge cluster I want now.

Here is a video from today...and the first real throttle vids.

https://youtu.be/PtScv_W33W4
Old 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

That is a ton of work to keep the stock cluster, I agree with it not being worth it.

She sounds great!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Here is a video a friend(and member here) made from our testing last night. I have been working non stop 16 hour days on this thing, trying to work out issues. MANY, MANY thanks to my friends that have made it possible for me to be able to be where I am at now.

THANK YOU!

Last night, which is far off from what and how it is running today.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nullpointer
That is a ton of work to keep the stock cluster, I agree with it not being worth it.

She sounds great!
Yeah man, just too much of a hassle. For now, I have a shift light and a 3.5" gauge and a 7" tablet doing all the indicating for me at the moment lol. Definitely seems different. Temporary tho.

Thanks man
Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

WannaGoFast half mile event, didn't go exactly how I had planned. ended up being a pretty expensive test and tune weekend for me. Regardless, the car made it to the event, and we still, despite all the issues, ended up having a great time.

In testing on private roads, the car ran flawless. Every time I went to the starting line, the car ended up popping, and shutting down, and overall running like ***. Both runs, total fail. Gonna go back to the drawing board with the issues we ran into, and fix them. I ended up driving a C7 Z06 and going 160 and a C5Z06 GOING 166. All in all, I still had a good time.

Just glad the car made it to the event...we'll get the bugs worked out soon enough.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
WannaGoFast half mile event, didn't go exactly how I had planned. ended up being a pretty expensive test and tune weekend for me. Regardless, the car made it to the event, and we still, despite all the issues, ended up having a great time.

In testing on private roads, the car ran flawless. Every time I went to the starting line, the car ended up popping, and shutting down, and overall running like ***. Both runs, total fail. Gonna go back to the drawing board with the issues we ran into, and fix them. I ended up driving a C7 Z06 and going 160 and a C5Z06 GOING 166. All in all, I still had a good time.

Just glad the car made it to the event...we'll get the bugs worked out soon enough.
I saw you guys working on the car most of Saturday, sorry for the luck. I ended up having my tranny start slipping on the first run and it got really bad on the second so I was done. That's life though....
Smoove (01-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike04
I saw you guys working on the car most of Saturday, sorry for the luck. I ended up having my tranny start slipping on the first run and it got really bad on the second so I was done. That's life though....
Yeah man, I ended up getting pretty engulfed in the car, and had tunnel vision as a result. I think my cousin Josh mentioned "the car down there" had some trans problems, and offered help if we needed it. Guessing that was you... Thank you...and sorry you also had some issues. I think I saw your car drive by our pits once or twice, sounded healthy.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
Yeah man, I ended up getting pretty engulfed in the car, and had tunnel vision as a result. I think my cousin Josh mentioned "the car down there" had some trans problems, and offered help if we needed it. Guessing that was you... Thank you...and sorry you also had some issues. I think I saw your car drive by our pits once or twice, sounded healthy.
I understand about the tunnel vision, I've been there myself. Every one of these races in the past I've had something go on that I was able to fix but it took a lot of fun out of it because I got totally wrapped up in working on the car. This time I knew I couldn't fix the tranny so I enjoyed the race more. It also helped that I got one good run in before it slipped too bad.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Glad you made one good pass at least.

Next time for me.

Quick Reply: The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY