C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Default The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

"The Half Mile Hustle" build update 10.0

https://www.facebook.com/TheFixedRoof

Holy ****, this has been a crazy 5 years. 3 different jobs, 2 different girfriends, 3 different places to live in two different counties, and my car still loves me. Actually, it doesn't have a choice, it's stuck on a lift. Trying to get the car done for the Half mile event in January in Ocala Florida. Thats my only purpose in life right now...is to get it done! I do have a C6 F1X car that is a thorn in my side so, also trying to finish that car in time too...but thats another thread build.

My FRC: A few of you know the cars story, for those that don't, it's a 00 Artic White FRC,..it's had a few motors, a few power adders,..always has, and always will be a manual. Last time around it had a stock bottom LS6, two 67mm turbos, and no real fuel system. It made 787rwhp and 696ftlbs on 11.5psi, no timing, and shutting down at 5800rpm due to fuel starvation. Then someone asked to buy my motor, the next day I had a built LS2 fall in my lap....and I decided to take a perfectly good running setup, and take it all apart for an upgrade.

The new motor went in but not without talking extensivly with Brian Tooley for days,..finally had him build me some TFS 235's,..set up for a 1 mile pull and all the heat that comes with it. I then contacted race part solutions, and built a fuel system to support 1200rwhp on E85...roughly. -10 feeds, -8 return, magnafuel pro tuner 750(street car). I put it all in the car, the exoskel twin disc, didn't like it. It spun as soon as boost came on. I guess it was a good sign that we were making power but...not good for the dude paying the bills and doing the labor, me. Took everything out... talked to textralia...ended up using my second twin disc(gotta have spares ) ..and made a triple disc. Ended up having an issue with a slave leaking....
so I removed everything, again.

Started to plan to install again...then had a conversation with a friend who was getting rid of his TR6060 ZR1 trans,SFI bellhousing, DSS torque tube, and Tilton clutch. I bought it all.... then bought a 2012.5 Z06 diff, bought a used cradle....bought some diff and trans coolers. Called RPS again and made all of my cooler lines...cause I wasn't gonna go through all this again and not do a wicked ,ready to go road setup. Decided to go to solid control arm bushings at this point, did that. Put everything back in the car...figured one last time. Installed everything....turns out, the C6 bellhousing was longer,...made installation a bitch...but I got it all in the car. Started it up....and yup....a had a pilot bearing fail.
It wasn't that old but, it failed. Made beautiful noise.... lol... so, once again, I had to remove. I have worked on 20 or 30 vette drivelines...never had I gone through this. Figures, it was on my own car.

Anyways, I put got rid of the C6 bellhousing....then ended up putting in a C6 pilot bearing...and a new Tilton Slave perch, since I went back to a C5 bell housing. I also sent the Tilton 7.25 triple carbon clutch back to tilton for inspection and clean bill of health. Did all that...800 and change later, I have a pretty much new clutch again. 8 weeks ago, I had spine surgery, so I am just now, able to get back to being physical, and get this driveline in the car. With the help of my cousin Josh, we got the driveline in this last Saturday. It went in
actually pretty easily, considering the last few times. All I have to do now, is plug everything in, install turbo setup, exhaust, intake...etc...and then try and fire up, to see what isn't working.

Updates list:
built LS2-BTR TFS 235s
A non boost friendly cam(just like always)
Precision turbos got Garrett GTX billet wheels installed in them.
Ditched all silicone and hose clamps, now running JODAR "DUAL SEAL" boost clamps.
Relocated BOV's.
Added longer, and now 2" wastegate dump tubes, with fender exits.
Catch can fittings(1 per bank), going to all black instead of blue/red.
All new turbo feed(-3 ptfe pre-made) and -10 push-lok black braid and fittings for turbo drains.
New custom designed by me power steering tank, Deubel Products made it a reality.
All new power steering lines, and fittings.
I straightened out all of the factory power steering fins, which took about an hour.
New front tie rods.
New rear tie rod boots.
Rebuilt rear axles, stock C5.
2012.5 C6 Z06 differential.
2010 C6 ZR1 transmission, factory spec.
C6 rear cradle.
Tilton Triple carbon clutch 7.25" with all new hydraulics(tilton slave and master) w/pedal stop.
Longer front and rear wheel studs, ARP. I run C6 wheels(18x10.5 front-18x12 rear FIKSE wheels) and they go in, just a hair, so I have small spacers on them.
Custom aluminum axle back exhaust, all 3 inch. Designed by me, built by crazyG.
Powder coated everything black, or ceramic coated black.
New DeWitts radiator and we welded on -20 male fittings, and I run the new Fragola Push-LOK -20 hose for my coolant setup. Looks awesome.
New HSP black spark plug wire boots.
New sway bar end links.
New ac, serpentine belts.
New plugs.
Finally made a cheap steam port setup. Just used 2, LS2 vette front coolant crossovers,..used -4 pushlok fragola, with a -4 Y block. Worked great for fitment.
New LED's for the car...since it's 2015 and all.
About to order new tires,..just not sure yet on what to get.
I had Wilson Manifolds clean my 160lb injectors. Came out great.
Also had my ATI damper rebuilt. They recommend having it rebuilt once a year if you make over 1000rwhp...FYI.

Here is the first couple pics of going turbo...how it started off, then phase 2,..then now, phase 3(uncoated-unfinished).

and as of saturday..

Touched up the FAST 90

steam port setup-

More pics to follow.

Thanks!

Last edited by Smoove; 10-21-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Spacers:

Coated WG dump tube...its also now wrapped.

best driveline tables!

Not fun but, glad I did.

I made my own coolant tubes...thanks to the JODAR bead roller.

Switching to speed density...need to figure out where I am putting everything.

Last edited by Smoove; 10-21-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Switching to speed density, need to convert over to that. Add an IAT,...and then once the turbo setup is all installed, I need to hardline all of my vacuum lines. been wanting to do that for a while now...finally gonna bang it out.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:28 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Looking good man!! Keep at it.. It's a lot of work for sure..

You can get it done!
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Looking good man!! Keep at it.. It's a lot of work for sure..

You can get it done!
Thanks bro. I had hair when I started. I dunno where it went.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
Thanks bro. I had hair when I started. I dunno where it went.
You lost the hair from the girl friends and job changes..lol
Smoove (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm
You lost the hair from the girl friends and job changes..lol
Eh, the womens come and go. That has little effect on me these days. Last chick just moved back to London. The jobby job...well, that'll do it. I should note that, I left cadillac after 11 years,...wanted a change,..left on great terms....the 2nd job was great...unfortunatley race part soultions moved to Georgia...I didn't want to do that....I now work for Xtreme Supercars in West Palm Beach(makes wide body and carbon components). So all in all, good moves but, I was pretty stressed when leaving RPS..to find another job and place to live in a short notice time frame. Everything worked out GREAT though, couldn't be happier.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:00 PM
cmiller8006
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh my, I love the turbo set up on the car.
Smoove (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Oh my, I love the turbo set up on the car.
Thanks!

The headers, are pro turbo,..everything else is custom made for it.

I love the placement...I had to heat treat everything but, it all worked out. On a stock radiator I ran 187 degrees, in the mid day Florida heat during summer time with it. So it never heated up anything to important. Mostly wires, and the hood.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Sucking Fick build dude!

2 things I noticed. You must be still running a C6 torque tube.

And are those beryllium copper seats?

Any work on water flow to the heads?

What water neck is that on the pump? Me likey!
Smoove (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Almost_There_1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sick. My fuel system is similar. What alternator is that?
Smoove (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Storm Troopers looking good Jamie. Now just get everything together and drive the **** without trying to upgrade the upgrades
Smoove (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Sucking Fick build dude!

2 things I noticed. You must be still running a C6 torque tube.

And are those beryllium copper seats?

Any work on water flow to the heads?

What water neck is that on the pump? Me likey!
You've got good eyes pimpin. We originally were going with beryllium, unfortunately after a few conversations, we realized(Brian/Mike) that it doesn't have the best street life longevity. Since this is a street car mainly, I wanted to make sure I was yanking heads all the time. So what we went with is bronze. Seems to handle heat really well for the long pulls.

Yes, still running a C6 tube(or now I am). Hoping I have no issues, any to worry about?

The water pump is a stock OEM one, the thermostat housing I welded up a -20 male, and I bought the newish -20 Fragola pushlok fittings. They only have 90s and straights but, thats fine. I am using the hose they send with it but it the pictures I have shown, those are 1.25" ID silicone hoses. 1 90, and 1 45 degree. The Tstat outlet side, goes to the 90 as you see, then to the 45 silicone, and directly into the dewitts which has the -20 male on it as well, with another fragola pushlok 90. I test fitted the radiator to see how well it lines up. With the 45, it's a direct, perfect lineup. I mapped it out all visually,...hoping,..and it worked out perfectly. Really happy with that.

No additional water flow to the heads. These heads we spec'd out,...was over 5 years ago. It's been that long. 3/9/2010 is the invoice date lol. You can say I think we have all learned a lot since then.

Thank you for the props bro, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Almost_There_1
Sick. My fuel system is similar. What alternator is that?
Thanks dude! So glad to finally have a system that is gonna put in some work! Just hoping its enough now. The alternator, I honestly dunno. I have no markings on it at all. I have a spare, It needs to be rebuilt. Gonna bring it to my alternator shop and see if they can shed some insight. I wanna say it's something for an import car...its been so long, I forget. Came with my PTK manifolds.

Originally Posted by JoeyG
Storm Troopers looking good Jamie. Now just get everything together and drive the **** without trying to upgrade the upgrades
Thanks G. That's gonna be the kicker....trying to stay focused on what I have,....versus what I want the car to be. It'll never be finished but, as long as everything works....thats all I care about. I just wanna drive it...and make some passes.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Always loved this car, can't wait to see results. Love the storm trooper look
Smoove (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Always loved this car, can't wait to see results. Love the storm trooper look
Thanks man, much appreciated...I gotta stay true to my boys.

My two babies! Hopefully I will be able to roll it out soon.(these are both old pics).

Old 10-22-2015, 10:40 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
Thanks man, much appreciated...I gotta stay true to my boys.

Have any higher res versions of that image?
Smoove (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Yellow03Z06
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm digging the wastegate dump tube exits

Nice looking car too
Smoove (10-22-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To The Half Mile Hustle. PIC HEAVY

Old 10-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Have any higher res versions of that image?
I'll ask my doucher buddy that took them.

Originally Posted by Yellow03Z06
I'm digging the wastegate dump tube exits

Nice looking car too
Thank you, It was something I have always wanted(like tailpipes, finally did those) was to have the side exit wg dumps. Main reason, I couldn't dump them into DP's since they're only 3"...and I wanted some good control, since i had boost problems with this car before(controlling). The plus side, they look good. The down side,..I might catch the car on fire with them lol. We'll see. I carry a 25lb fire bottle with me so, hopefully i won't have to use it ever.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Awesomeness as usual.
Smoove (10-23-2015)