C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne Bell ls1 Results

Old 11-12-2015, 11:27 AM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
Not to **** up your other thread but has your drive belt been behaving ?

Great! Found the problem, my bracket wasn't aligned quite properly.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:39 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice
Old 11-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
To do a clutch on KB setup, do you have to pull the blower? Looks like even less clearance at the firewall than stock so titling the drivetrain to get the diff/tranny/tt out would seem to be a no-no with the KB unit mounted.
It doesn't hit,gets close but it was fine when I did my clutch..
Old 11-14-2015, 03:06 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Originally Posted by wildthingwood1994
Great! Found the problem, my bracket wasn't aligned quite properly.
Well never mind it started creeping off the alternator again. Any idea how to test if the alternator shaft is bent?
Old 11-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Well never mind it started creeping off the alternator again. Any idea how to test if the alternator shaft is bent?
Your alignment is off,I know duh...get a alignment laser off amazon,I battled with mine forever,chewed a lot of belts up,aligned it and all is good now...
Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Originally Posted by Crabr1
Your alignment is off,I know duh...get a alignment laser off amazon,I battled with mine forever,chewed a lot of belts up,aligned it and all is good now...
I have a laser everything is well within spec.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

I have a laser everything is well within spec.
One of my idlers wasn't square and it caused the belt to walk off,it was totally my fault,I cut the spacer for some reason and it wasn't straight.check yours..
Old 11-14-2015, 11:57 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

One of my idlers wasn't square and it caused the belt to walk off,it was totally my fault,I cut the spacer for some reason and it wasn't straight.check yours..
How do I check my idlers?
Old 11-15-2015, 12:02 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Hi , probably my fault cos I mentioned it

Maybe check that the idlers are like parallel to the front bracket, imagine the threaded hole is at a slight angle , that would make the idler twisted slightly and make the belt track .

Only thing I can think of is your front bracket might not be mounted 100%

Parallel , like the top may be slightly further back or forward compared to the bottom .

I think I remember having a problem with mine when bolting it on , with the top snout bolt nipped up the lower part of the bracket was not seating against the alternator bracket and when I tighten those lower bolts it felt like it was flexing slightly until it came into contact with the alt bracket behind it . Think I shimmed the two holes with washers.

Might be worth having a good look at the front bracket and how it sits on the snout and motor , maybe undo the two lower bolts leave top one tight and see if you have a gap between the rear of the idler bracket and motor.

Also your crank damper new, old ?? I'm sure you probably know about the stock ones coming apart.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Hi , probably my fault cos I mentioned it

Maybe check that the idlers are like parallel to the front bracket, imagine the threaded hole is at a slight angle , that would make the idler twisted slightly and make the belt track .

Only thing I can think of is your front bracket might not be mounted 100%

Parallel , like the top may be slightly further back or forward compared to the bottom .

I think I remember having a problem with mine when bolting it on , with the top snout bolt nipped up the lower part of the bracket was not seating against the alternator bracket and when I tighten those lower bolts it felt like it was flexing slightly until it came into contact with the alt bracket behind it . Think I shimmed the two holes with washers.

Might be worth having a good look at the front bracket and how it sits on the snout and motor , maybe undo the two lower bolts leave top one tight and see if you have a gap between the rear of the idler bracket and motor.

Also your crank damper new, old ?? I'm sure you probably know about the stock ones coming apart.

Undid those lower bolts and the bracket stayed flush, not even light would seep through, great idea though!

Yes my crank damper is stock.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Undid those lower bolts and the bracket stayed flush, not even light would seep through, great idea though!

Yes my crank damper is stock.
Oh huh stock damper.when I had a cam installed my tuner said my damper is shot,had a new one installed,had to go stock again,had a bigger cam installed and had a 8 rib innovator west damper put on,feel a lot better with that one. It's only a matter of time with your stock damper,it's not if it's going to grenade,it's when? Sorry for the news..
Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Oh huh stock damper.when I had a cam installed my tuner said my damper is shot,had a new one installed,had to go stock again,had a bigger cam installed and had a 8 rib innovator west damper put on,feel a lot better with that one. It's only a matter of time with your stock damper,it's not if it's going to grenade,it's when? Sorry for the news..
I mean i pinned the crank, they're just that bad? I just wanna run the car worry free for a while. I'm still driving it a ton, I just check the belt constantly haha.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

I mean i pinned the crank, they're just that bad? I just wanna run the car worry free for a while. I'm still driving it a ton, I just check the belt constantly haha.
I'm by far no expert,but from what I know,if you damper fails,it could damage your crank,then your talking big bucks..look up innovator west dampers..too bad there not that visible installed,cause they are a thing of beauty...
Old 11-16-2015, 02:25 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Yes they are

Try and check the outer ribbed ring on your balancer see if it has any movement on it.

Innovators west damper has a keyway machined into it . I assume crank out to machine a keyway into crank ?

Or do the normal pin crank thing .

Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Yes they are

Try and check the outer ribbed ring on your balancer see if it has any movement on it.

Innovators west damper has a keyway machined into it . I assume crank out to machine a keyway into crank ?

Or do the normal pin crank thing .

No need to pull the crank,just pin it,now if you were building a engine you would get the crank machined..
Old 11-16-2015, 01:14 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Yeah I hear ya , new after market cranks seem to come with machined keyway and key which helps.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:59 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

I'm probably not gonna buy a damper unless I need to, its kind of a budget build as of now. I took my alternator off and properly torqued it (originally just guessed) doubt that does anything but who knows.

No one has answered the question of how to test the alternator shaft being straight. It freely spins by hand multiple revolutions and the laser doesnt move ribs (visible to naked eye) when I spin it, so.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenne Bell ls1 Results

Old 11-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

I'm probably not gonna buy a damper unless I need to, its kind of a budget build as of now. I took my alternator off and properly torqued it (originally just guessed) doubt that does anything but who knows.

No one has answered the question of how to test the alternator shaft being straight. It freely spins by hand multiple revolutions and the laser doesnt move ribs (visible to naked eye) when I spin it, so.
Take your belt off...I know a pain in the azz,set the laser and check your idlers..I'm no expert by any means,but it was my ider that was throwing my belt,it was jumping one rib on the altinator..good luck
Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Don't think there is anything wrong with the shaft etc with your alternator.

Have a good look at the alternator pulley , blower and power steering pulley for alignment .

You could try shimming the alternator with washers , if the belt is coming off the front move alternator in that direction , move rearward if it's coming off the back.

If it's possible could you get a torque wrench on the tensioner bolt and see how much torque it takes to move the tensioner , I can do the same on my ECS tensioner just so we know . Might just be belt whip .

Could try using two idlers again and move them around just Incase that helps .
Do one thing at a time though
Old 11-17-2015, 07:16 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Crabr1

Not sure if i have asked before but do you have the crescent shaped tool to align the snout idler bracket , dont think the op has one .

If yes maybe measure it ? might help the op

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kenne Bell ls1 Results