C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 LPE TT intake hose issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 LPE TT intake hose issue...

So I've had my Stage I TT LPE for about 4 years, and I keep running into the same issue: primarily, the silicon hoses from the intake and outlet side of the turbos that run to the ICs and filter in the nose. The tires keep rubbing against them, and they're not meant to be a wear item. Me and some friends (Ron K) had it up on a lift some time ago trying to figure how to best solve this issue, and the best solution we could think of at the time consisted of sectioning and inserting metal shields onto the hoses, but this seems more like a temp fix as opposed to an actual fix, given that the hoses would still rub against the tire. There are already stops welded onto the steering assembly which leaves my car with a semi-truck-like turning radius. Adding to those will make the car practically undriveable. Has anyone had experience with this, and have come up with a viable fix, like a re-route?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:46 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine run a tad too at full lock. I used zip ties to really sinch them up tight away from the tires and that has helped. Also, loosen the hose clamps and twist the couplers a bit, you might get some more room that way too. It helped with me.

Post a few pics of your routing with the wheel off and I might be able to help ya a bit more.

- Travis
Old 10-29-2015, 01:13 AM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

I'll check with my buddy Ron to see if he has photos of them. We've zip-tied them, used rubber matting and shoe glue to patch them up (which wore through).
Doesn't help that the lowest point of the car, not counting the tires, is where the hoses go into the front bumper to the intakes. That part is wearing down too.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Why not get rid of the added surface area of the silicone, and go straight to an aluminum tube in that location? In other words, get custom piping from a local fabricator.

That, or add longer wheel studs, add a 1/4" spacer. Are you running oversized wheels/tires? Correct offset?

PS silicone is typically used on the pressure sides(boosted side) and rubber, since it does not collapse(like silicone does) would be used on the suction sides of the turbo. I have used silicone on short runs on the suction side but not for any long spans.

Happy fixing.
The following users liked this post:
sultan hamdi (02-09-2016)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

LPE is a bit too proud (expensive) of the replacement hoses and just like the TTiX kit getting them to mate up with the turbos on the inlet side is a bear.

fabbing up some small metal sections (alum or SS or whatever) seems like the best approach but it's got a few challenges too.

I do have some pics, but they are a bit hard to see the real issue is that the routing of how these fish through the frame and suspension is really a bundle of snakes.

I looked at other solutions and fixing what we have seems to be the best compromise unless the cost of replacement hoses can be justified (and getting them onto those turbos is NO picnic). The turbos are positioned low down in the bell housing and it's very tight access.

how is that monster clutch doing? grabs like grim death and will hold as much as you dare throw down!!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:14 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought of having everything hard piped but **** snakes around so much that id would cost a fortune to have done.

- Travis
Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

we looked at alternate routing too as it's a bit of a tortuous path

the turbo position is tough to get to for service for sure

last time I checked the LPE hoses are 1995 for a full set of 4

anyone have some good condition used ones ?

I think for now cutting out the bad sections where it rubs and replacing those with hard pipe with a bit of "clearancing" on the tube with a ball peen hammer so the wheels don't rub at full lock may be the most cost effective solution.

time to boostamuv
Old 10-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
LPE is a bit too proud (expensive) of the replacement hoses and just like the TTiX kit getting them to mate up with the turbos on the inlet side is a bear.

fabbing up some small metal sections (alum or SS or whatever) seems like the best approach but it's got a few challenges too.

I do have some pics, but they are a bit hard to see the real issue is that the routing of how these fish through the frame and suspension is really a bundle of snakes.

I looked at other solutions and fixing what we have seems to be the best compromise unless the cost of replacement hoses can be justified (and getting them onto those turbos is NO picnic). The turbos are positioned low down in the bell housing and it's very tight access.

how is that monster clutch doing? grabs like grim death and will hold as much as you dare throw down!!
It grabs like a SOB, and I've gotten some wheel hop. If we go with the cheap way of more power (methanol kit + fuel system upgrades), I'll probably have to downsize on my rear gears. That's way down the road though.

Yeah, I don't want to go with new hoses; Even keeping portions of the old ones and sectioning in more ideal places seems like a better move than trying to re-engineer the whole setup. They're expensive and not designed to be a wear item! Plus, new ones would just run into the same problem quickly. New hoses are an expensive short term solution.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Smoove
Why not get rid of the added surface area of the silicone, and go straight to an aluminum tube in that location? In other words, get custom piping from a local fabricator.

That, or add longer wheel studs, add a 1/4" spacer. Are you running oversized wheels/tires? Correct offset?

PS silicone is typically used on the pressure sides(boosted side) and rubber, since it does not collapse(like silicone does) would be used on the suction sides of the turbo. I have used silicone on short runs on the suction side but not for any long spans.

Happy fixing.
So they're stocker Z06 rims and tires, stock offset. I'm pretty sure the hoses are silicone on both suck and squish sides.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Is this the "kit"?? If so...ya'll need a family member to be a fabricator or something lol. THAT....looks like a pain in the *** to replicate in aluminum.... i'd just but the new silicone lol(kidding-i'd do hard lines still).

http://www.lingenfelter.com/page/c5-corvette-turbo
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

I've had my Stage 2 TT setup for over 11 years...and had to replace the hoses you speak of once (but I don't remember spending _that_ much for them and they came from LPE through 21CMC).

Like all have said, fabbing up an aluminum/hard pipe alternative seems nearly impossible for a number of reasons.

I just live with it. It's a fantastic setup, IMHO.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:31 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Is this the "kit"?? If so...ya'll need a family member to be a fabricator or something lol. THAT....looks like a pain in the *** to replicate in aluminum.... i'd just but the new silicone lol(kidding-i'd do hard lines still).

http://www.lingenfelter.com/page/c5-corvette-turbo
Yep... that's the kit.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (11-06-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
I've had my Stage 2 TT setup for over 11 years...and had to replace the hoses you speak of once (but I don't remember spending _that_ much for them and they came from LPE through 21CMC).

Like all have said, fabbing up an aluminum/hard pipe alternative seems nearly impossible for a number of reasons.

I just live with it. It's a fantastic setup, IMHO.
How's your turning radius?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

send enough lawyers guns and money and I'll find the fabricators

cutting the turning radius further doesn't make sense, it's a vette not a semi. but clearly the current hoses have a bunch of twists and turns.

by buying up the right number of alum j bends, and getting a bead roller tool and some high quality hose clamps I'm convinced this is feasible, just not sure how cost effective

the raw materials are relatively cheap, and would keep the hoses from wearing and I believe they may be "sucking flat like a straw" based on how flexible and pinched they are now.

I've got a whole pile of wood to keep warm, problem is this isn't a quick or easy deal, you'll need transpo in the mean time.

time to boostamuv. good winter project.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:39 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
the raw materials are relatively cheap, and would keep the hoses from wearing and I believe they may be "sucking flat like a straw" based on how flexible and pinched they are now.

Yeah, I have thought the same thing. But if they were really restricting airflow at high rpms (going flat) wouldn't we see that on the dyno or on the street/track? I have seen no power issues and the car runs like stink. My guess is that if larger turbos were used, we definitely might have issues you're describing though.

And no turning radius issues here...don't go lock-to-lock often though, and if so its at very low speeds.

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 11-28-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Jason Blue Boost
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

How wide are you front rims? 9.5 is the widest you can go without rubbing.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jason Blue Boost
How wide are you front rims? 9.5 is the widest you can go without rubbing.
They're stockers, and they rub.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM
sultan hamdi
Advanced

Happy fixing.

that's what I did and never had a problem since
Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Man no offence intended at all so please don't take this wrong, but I can't see how you might think it would cost much to make them from the contact area to the filter hard piping??? Or expensive. GL!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 LPE TT intake hose issue...

Quick Reply: C5 LPE TT intake hose issue...