C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torco to keep stock engine alive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Torco to keep stock engine alive?

I know this has been beat to death.

I have a can of Torco and for whatever reason can't take the plunge and pour it in the tank. Lol

Anyhow I just want something to give a little safety for detination. Tuned on 93 pump and 100% meth but want to increase octane will either use torco every fill up or run a few gallons race gas to bump octane ms 109 or 260 gt plus maybe.

The torco thing just seems to good to be true cheaper and more convient than race gas hmmmm
Old 11-17-2015, 12:42 AM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I used it for tx2k, hotlapped the car, heatsoaked like crazy. Zero detonation, stock ls6 11lbs of boost. Stuff works pretty damn good.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:30 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

works great, only thing i noticed with it is i had to change plugs pretty frequent running it. it turns everything orange and leaves a coating on everything in the combustion chamber. didn't do any harm, just killed plugs a lot.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:02 AM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert 2000

I have a can of Torco and for whatever reason can't take the plunge and pour it in the tank. Lol

Anyhow I just want something to give a little safety for detination. Tuned on 93 pump and 100% meth but want to increase octane will either use torco every fill up or run a few gallons race gas to bump octane ms 109 or 260 gt plus maybe.

The torco thing just seems to good to be true cheaper and more convient than race gas hmmmm
Are you talking all the time, or for when you're beating on it for prolonged times like the dyno or racing?

For a day to day driving you're literally pouring money down the drain...or your tune is god awful and you're running too much timing.

For prolonged stints of full throttle with boost like the drag strip and dyno I use a party mix of 93 and 109. Usually get the tank down to 1/4 tank and will throw 3-4 gallons of MS109 on top of it just for piece of mind, and to keep the car from detonating and pulling timing (power). Keep in mind that ALL of my racing is in different parts of the country no where near the region the car was actually tuned at, so maybe its a little more important for me.

On the street, its just run of the mill 93 pump, and sometimes 91 depending on where I am in the country.

- Travis
Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

since you're using meth already is there really any reason to use it?... curious if there are any other benefits besides octane that meth will not provide
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trayack
Are you talking all the time, or for when you're beating on it for prolonged times like the dyno or racing?

For a day to day driving you're literally pouring money down the drain...or your tune is god awful and you're running too much timing.

For prolonged stints of full throttle with boost like the drag strip and dyno I use a party mix of 93 and 109. Usually get the tank down to 1/4 tank and will throw 3-4 gallons of MS109 on top of it just for piece of mind, and to keep the car from detonating and pulling timing (power). Keep in mind that ALL of my racing is in different parts of the country no where near the region the car was actually tuned at, so maybe its a little more important for me.

On the street, its just run of the mill 93 pump, and sometimes 91 depending on where I am in the country.

- Travis
Tunes fine and doesn't detonate or anything like that. My car is not my daily and gets driven pretty hard everytime out so most of the time. I would want something in there to bump octane. I don't want to be tuned on race gas or torco just want a little bump in case of bad gas or something of that variety.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neutron82
since you're using meth already is there really any reason to use it?... curious if there are any other benefits besides octane that meth will not provide
Just want to make sure octane is there. The way I see it might be a little cheap insurance since my car doesn't get driven that many miles.

In the future I will have multiple tunes and run on race gas from time to time.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Tunes fine and doesn't detonate or anything like that. My car is not my daily and gets driven pretty hard everytime out so most of the time. I would want something in there to bump octane. I don't want to be tuned on race gas or torco just want a little bump in case of bad gas or something of that variety.
As long as your 93+ meth tune isn't on the limit, meaning its highly meth dependent than you're totally fine with NOT using any additive. That's what the meth is for after all...safety.

At the end of the day do what you want or what you're comfortable with. If you're tune is NOT meth dependent totally then you'll see zero added benefit from using Torco, except for the placebo effect in your brain.

Depending on your mix ratio, you might actually be hurting performance with the slower burn rate based on timing....just food for thought.

- Travis
Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Hi Robert,

Pretty good info here so far, I'll just add my 2 cents as a 10 year Torco user.

I agree, If your tune is safe on the 93 Meth/mix, it might be a mute point putting in Torco, especially while running Meth.

Now if your tune is on the edge, then Yes, Torco will help to stay off KR once things heat up. Also, Meth can fail slightly and change your A/F, it's nice to have the extra protection.

I will also agree, that if your compression is a bit low, and your tune is VERY safe, the slower burn could rob you of a little power...

Here's my situation. Been running Torco in every tank for 10 years. I run a reasonably safe tune with Meth injection. I like the added benefit of both meth and the extra octane, can't be too safe, and I don't like leaving much on the table either.

Most tuners add meth after 3-5 pounds of boost, then it's gradual. I like knowing that the octane is already there before I start to build much boost, I've got a built stroked 418 LS3, and it starts to make pretty good TQ before much meth comes in, so the added benefit of Torco allows me to keep good timing, and take advantage of that.

It takes a bunch of things to go right, if you want to consistently run 200+ MPH in the standing mile for 4 years in a row on the same Motor...

Check sig...
The following users liked this post:
RGT (11-20-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:04 AM
youngrigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run 2 gallons of 104 mixed with like a half tank of 91 when im running the car at the 1/2 mile events for extra safety considering i go full throttle into 5th gear for a while.

But i am tuned on 91 and meth
Old 11-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies guys! I have no idea if I will be adding any torco or race gas but some really good points and info was brought up. I really would like to have hp tuners and be able to switch tunes and run on race gas so that maybe an option in the not so distant future.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I too use Torco when I feel the need.... Most especially during half mile events...
Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
I too use Torco when I feel the need.... Most especially during half mile events...

I also post pics of Torco girls when I feel the need as well...
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2015, 06:23 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

what about injecting the stuff with the meth?

Get notified of new replies

To Torco to keep stock engine alive?

Quick Reply: Torco to keep stock engine alive?