C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin turbo with nitrous setup questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:25 AM
mattressbouncer
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Twin turbo with nitrous setup questions.

Im wondering if anyone is running a setup like this for the research I'm doing. Im currently running a H/C/LT, stock bottom end LS6, with a 150 shot HSW plate. Im going Twin Turbo when I get back from deployment.
I've been in a couple boosted cars but never owned one and always wanted one. I just don't want to get ride of the nitrous. Like the saying goes "Nothing hits like Nitrous." I know I can just increase the boost and get the same power, that not what I'm looking for. Also I know that TT with spray is over kill on a stock bottom end. I plan to build an LQ4 after the TT upgrade and then shoot for 1000hp with the two combined.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by mattressbouncer
Im wondering if anyone is running a setup like this for the research I'm doing. Im currently running a H/C/LT, stock bottom end LS6, with a 150 shot HSW plate. Im going Twin Turbo when I get back from deployment.
I've been in a couple boosted cars but never owned one and always wanted one. I just don't want to get ride of the nitrous. Like the saying goes "Nothing hits like Nitrous." I know I can just increase the boost and get the same power, that not what I'm looking for. Also I know that TT with spray is over kill on a stock bottom end. I plan to build an LQ4 after the TT upgrade and then shoot for 1000hp with the two combined.
with modern turbo designs the nitrous is not needed.

they spool up plenty fast and you won't miss the broken ring lands that too much cyl pressure will soon bring you.

you can use the nitrous to spool the turbos faster but make sure you stay conservative and pull it quick.

and too much cyl pressure at too low an rpm will net you some nicely bent rods.

stay with the nitrous, or go TT, you don't need both, especially with a stock bottom end.

the TT will be much more forgiving to the stock parts than the "nothing hits like nitrous" just don't get too greedy!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:26 PM
mattressbouncer
Instructor

Thanks for the advice, but not really what I'm looking for. Im wondering if anyone is running this setup. Ive seen a few posts about guys running a Centri S/C with nitrous, but haven't been able to find a thread about a TT car with nitrous.

I understand that it would not be a good idea to spray the car with a stock bottom end. Thats why I plan on building a motor after the TT install. Nitrous on boost has a compounding effect so a 50 shot would be somewhere in the 75-100 range, correct?

I want to know if anyone has this setup installed and could point me in the right direction.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I also started off, heads cam, spray. Loved it. Then went to a procharger...fun...then I went twin turbo....and I felt like macho man(SAVAGE)..... all through that process....the nitrous has never been off the car. Do I use it....not at the moment cause it was jetted for 150(TNT F2 kit-smallest jets) and I was for a while, on a stock bottom end(787rwhp 11psi with twins[450rwhp na]). I do plan to use, a smaller shot mostly for cooling but...honestly, it is REALLY hard to find a good race on boost alone....that you even need the spray.

So yes, all day long...don't take it off.... you just may not be able to use it.... I would run something BEHIND the throttle body or direct port though. Anything before the throttle blade is potential for chaos. Get the right turbos...and you probably won't need or want to hit the button....just not enough room lol.

Last edited by Smoove; 11-18-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:47 PM
mattressbouncer
Instructor

Thanks Smoove. Im almost going the same direction you are. Just jumping to TT instead of SC. Im at 447 N/a right now and love nitrous its just a pain finding places to fill the bottle every time the Army asks me to move. Thats a major factor in my decision to boost.

Did you change any of the parts in the engine when you went from nitrous to boost (cam, heads). What kind of controllers are you using. I currently have the microedge installed. Also thats a good idea about switching the plate out.

Last edited by mattressbouncer; 11-18-2015 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (11-19-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

I run a TT with a 150 shot on top for rolls, etc. I got the NX 78mm plate. It's a simple setup, inexpensive and easy to tune with fuel jets.

Here's a video in action. In this race I was setup for 900hp on boost, and figured I had this GTR covered. Roll race 40-160mph. Started with my auto in 2nd, then he started pulling so I got into 3rd, hit the spray and went around him. See the race here starting at 0:42

Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats Bad *** Chris I love the way the NOS pulled when needed

Last edited by a/c man; 11-18-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

It is sweet for that little extra. The nitrous hits hard at any speed, really pumps the torque.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:34 PM
mattressbouncer
Instructor

Exactly what Im looking to do Chris. Can you give me some more info on your setup. Eng setup, controllers, turbo setup, ect.

Im looking at the UPP TT kit and keeping my Harris Speed Works plate kit. Should be able to have fun with the TT kit at 650 whp on the stock bottom end till I build an engine that will handle 800-850 on boost and a 150 shot.

Love this forum. There is so much knowledge here.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Here's the video inside the GTR

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 11-18-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
I run a TT with a 150 shot on top for rolls, etc. I got the NX 78mm plate. It's a simple setup, inexpensive and easy to tune with fuel jets.

Here's a video in action. In this race I was setup for 900hp on boost, and figured I had this GTR covered. Roll race 40-160mph. Started with my auto in 2nd, then he started pulling so I got into 3rd, hit the spray and went around him. See the race here starting at 0:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrUky0BQqcs
Nice lmao. I bet he was thinking game over when he started pulling. What a tease lmao.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks Smoove. Im almost going the same direction you are. Just jumping to TT instead of SC. Im at 447 N/a right now and love nitrous its just a pain finding places to fill the bottle every time the Army asks me to move. Thats a major factor in my decision to boost.

Did you change any of the parts in the engine when you went from nitrous to boost (cam, heads). What kind of controllers are you using. I currently have the microedge installed. Also thats a good idea about switching the plate out.
Same engine at that time...
NA nitrous cam-450rwhp
NA+150 wet=558rwhp
450rwhp +8.5 psi P1=615rwhp
450rwhp + 11.5psi twin T4 67mm turbos=787rwhp
Old 11-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Exactly what Im looking to do Chris. Can you give me some more info on your setup. Eng setup, controllers, turbo setup, ect.

Im looking at the UPP TT kit and keeping my Harris Speed Works plate kit. Should be able to have fun with the TT kit at 650 whp on the stock bottom end till I build an engine that will handle 800-850 on boost and a 150 shot.

Love this forum. There is so much knowledge here.
I don't run any n2o controllers. The build is pretty basic, a 347 9.25:1 with Edelbrock heads 5/8 deck, Wiseco piston, Callies compstar rods, Clevite H bearings, 3 layer MLS gaskets, and stock crank. On full tilt it has proven too much for a stock crank. I'm currently planning a new build with a better crank like Dragonslayer.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:41 PM
mattressbouncer
Instructor

Smoove and Chris. Thank you for all the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. Going to start building in June so Im sorting everything out now. I'll post a build thread so anyone else that wants to do this can have a have this information as well.
Smoove (11-20-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:35 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Here's the video inside the GTR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJmGkWRYWrk
that's funny lmao
Old 11-22-2015, 06:52 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

I will be using 50 shot Zex kit with the stage 2 build [STS upgraded rear mounts]
I have run Nitrous with turbos before…its the best of both worlds.
You are correct that the shot is worth more with boost due to the inter cooling effect
how much will vary
You will have to tune for it, hand I would advise a window switch at a minimum, a controller even better
Kiss any lag goodbye.
jdwtx85 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 PM
mattressbouncer
Instructor

Statman have you used the shot on the dyno yet? I have the HSW 78mm plate and microedge controller. Im wondering what jetting for a 50 shot would look like on the dyno. Is the compounding effect around 1.5 -2 times under full boost? Also when the boost increases does the effect on the nitrous change. By that I wonder if I go from 8 to 10 psi if I would have to re jet the nitrous system as well.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Get notified of new replies

To Twin turbo with nitrous setup questions.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Mine gets pretty much no bonus power from the combination. A 150 shot NX plate adds 150rwhp. I believe it's because I have a good intercooler. However I had a 5.0 with s-trim Vortech and no inter/aftercooler. A 75 shot on that car picked up 15mph lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Statman have you used the shot on the dyno yet? I have the HSW 78mm plate and microedge controller. Im wondering what jetting for a 50 shot would look like on the dyno. Is the compounding effect around 1.5 -2 times under full boost? Also when the boost increases does the effect on the nitrous change. By that I wonder if I go from 8 to 10 psi if I would have to re jet the nitrous system as well.

Thanks again for everyones help.
I have not on this combo. The stage 2 forged motor has been on the back burner due to medical issues.
I am no expert on C5 tuning, I defer that to Joe at Powertech. However form conversations Ive had its similar to other setups Ive had...the optimal tune will be different with or without the spray. You have to pull timing with it on, more with more boost. A Wet system is more simple in some ways but suffers from distrubution issues and the fuel pressure will be reduced by the boost pressure.
Years ago I spoke with Mike Thermos at NOS before I added a kit to a B&M blown SBC. He said I could expect double the rating on a roots blower due to the cooling, less on an intercooled system but that the nitrous could replace the intercooler entirely.
Was unable to test it on the uncomputerized engine dyno I was using then as I couldnt get it to hold long enogh for a good reading. But based on the way the car went sideways at 80mph I would say he was right.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 PM
mattressbouncer
Instructor

Another question, can I continue to use the NGK BR7 spark plugs in a boosted engine. What plugs are yall using. I switched from TR6 to BR7 about a year ago. Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo with nitrous setup questions.