C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter GT9 cam in Twin turbo application

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM
TTvet
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lingenfelter GT9 cam in Twin turbo application

Hi guys!

I've got a 370ci LS1 with 2x Garrett GT3076R turbo's
I'm planning to install the Lingenfelter GT9 cam in that engine but I'm not able to find any experiences on that particular cam in twin turbo use.

What is your opinion/experiences?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
TTvet
Intermediate

I know that there are really good results with superchargers but that's a different story.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

The fact LPE use it should tell you it will work great.

I used it in mine for about a year or so with the 382/YSI, then when I switched to a pair of 364's on same engine.

Really couldnt say anything bad about it. Idled superbly, perfect manners everywhere, made plenty of power and seemed quite happy to rev too, touching 7k quite easily.

I only changed it last year to go for a solid roller setup to push for more rpm's.

My only concern was the high lift, although even after those 2-3 years or so the valvesprings etc were still perfect ( I'm Cathedral heads and used what I believe were the Patriot 660 springs supplied by LPE with the cam )

No doubt people will say custom this, custom that. But it worked great for me with both the YSi and twin turbo. Engine was exactly same for both, I just switched from YSi to the turbos.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Stevie you could have picked up 300 hp with this weeks cam.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:36 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Stevie you could have picked up 300 hp with this weeks cam.
If I bought 2 would it give me 600 ?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If I bought 2 would it give me 600 ?
Yes. But I can make you a deal on 3 for 900hp.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:12 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

contact lil john motorsports and get their stage 2-3 boost cam depending what he would recommend. way better choice

literally hundreds of people use the cams some making 1xxx hp

Last edited by skull; 11-21-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

GT9 has been used in blower and turbo cars beyond 1k too.

Although lets face it, almost any cam will see you beyond 1k with the right boost behind it so that isnt really a great reference as to how a cam performs.

The question I would ask, is what steers you towards the likes of a GT9 ?

For me when I used it, it was a silky smooth idle, no issue passing any emissions tests, and an ability to make good power with smooth delivery everywhere.
And it did this quite easily.

I only changed to solid roller with the hopes of pushing to around 7500rpm which is asking a bit much for milder setups, although the same constraints above meant I selected a little too mild still so will maybe change that over the winter.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:49 PM
TTvet
Intermediate

Thanks a lot guys!

So Stevie, you haven't had any issues with broken strings even though the aggressive LSK lobes that many people seem to be afraid of?
I also know quite a many supercharged LS aengines with GT9 and they work and idle like a dream.

How about the LPE GT22 cam for twin turbo use?
Lingenfelter mentions that they use the GT22 only when 427 cu displacement or bigger but on the other hand they have the GT22 cam in almost all of their boosted LS3 projects as well.

Then there is BTR stage II twin turbo cam which apparently is the same one than the one sold by Lil' Johns Motorsports.
Any experience in that one?

I agree that big hp can be achieved with so many cams but nice behavior is more difficult. Lingenfelter is known to build cars with stock like driveability.
My car is LPE650 and I have now upgraded to GT3076R turbo's with 57mm billet compressor wheels.
I'd still love to maintain the stock like road manners at about 850hp level.

Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:57 PM
TTvet
Intermediate

Also.. Do you guys know if the Lingenfelter GT22 camshaft has the LSK lobes or not?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

In total I had the GT9 in my engine for about 3 years I think. Although that's probably only around 10k

Some of those miles will be racing and revving the crap out of it, some driving to/from events. Like you I was a little paranoid about the springs, so when I changed to the solid roller I put new springs in anyway.
But the old ones when I took them out were absolutely perfect. People also said shouldnt have used it with Cathedral heads....well I did and it was fine.

I know from searching ages ago, ADM use it in a few of their builds and make big numbers, LPE obviously and a quick google today brings up this one.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CH1...Coupe/6-Speed/

Not that I would call it aggressive by any means, but the GT22 having slightly more duration ( at least on intake side ), with perhaps a little less overlap is why they're probably saying it's better suited to larger motors vs the GT9.

But they both have no overlap, so that will generally mean great idle, clean emissions and if your setup tended to have higher backpressure pre-turbine, again that can be helpful to ensure no contamination of the inlet charge.

The GT22 may be a little more spring friendly with slightly less lift...but on the exhaust side it also has less time to create that lift.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 810 Likes on 430 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Boy, I thought my baby GT2-3 in my APS TT setup had some split. I just looked at LPE's site for the specs on that GT9 and WOW! Talk about a duration split. Wasn't expecting that.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM
TTvet
Intermediate

Thanks!

Yes, the backpressure issue is one of my concerns since my GT3076R's have rather small turbine outlet (55mm) compared to the compressor inlet (57mm).
I think a lots of overlap or aggressive intake cam duration is not something that will work with this setup at all.
Also like you Stevie said from real life experience the milder side intake duration keeps the road manners more civilized.

I'm not worried of the duration split as I've seen many FI engines with big duration split and working like a dream.
Of couse there are so many things in the camshaft design which have an effect on the overall performance.

So I basically have two options left:
GT9 or GT22.
I know Lingenfelter uses very similar turbochargers to mine in their 800 and 1000hp builds and they use the GT22 in them.
Then again they also have 427cid..

The GT22 has .588/.595 lift with 1.7 rocker ratio and I belive changing to 1.8 rocker ratio isn't really worth it especially in FI engine like this.

Then there is Brian Tooley twin turbo cam but I'm afraid it might be better suited for bigger twin turbo setup because of the smaller LSA.
This obviously creates more back pressure pre turbine wheel.
Just my idea and correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

In simple terms, stay away from overlap and it should have impeccable manners and be safe almost regardless of how good/bad pre-turbine pressure might be.

LPE seem to do just that with almost all their cams anyway, and it makes perfect sense. I've even seen some cars push 1k+ with the bog standard LS9 cam, one of note a Gen5 again from ADM.

If you're using heads that offer a lot more flow around 500-650, then the GT9 might be a better choice...
If there isnt much difference in that area, then the GT22 will certainly give the springs/lifters an easier time

Other option somewhere in the middle is their GT11. TBH I hadnt actually noticed that one before I opted for the GT9, and probably would have tried it instead.

I dont think you'll go wrong with any of them though, but why not give LPE a call and speak to them ?
Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

id suggest calling LPE and btr/lil john (since lil john designed that cam). and just see what their input is. does hurt to call and ask a few question to hear what they have to say
Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

from what I understand LPE dropped a custom cam (stg II or something) because the specs were so similar to the LS9 and it's cheap and effective

I've had very good luck with LPE cam recommendations as they tend to favor street manners, good drivability, and nice idle over brute HP and tend to "do all things pretty well" in that they have the best blend of compromise to get the most area under the dyno curve which is what you want for a street car
Old 11-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

...and a quick google today brings up this one.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CH1...Coupe/6-Speed/
Rather offtopic but interesting:

- Astounding 1377 rear wheel HP @21PSI boost on E85
- E85
- ID 1000 injectors

So who needs ID2000's anymore? :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Lingenfelter GT9 cam in Twin turbo application

Old 11-28-2015, 10:39 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Rather offtopic but interesting:

- Astounding 1377 rear wheel HP @21PSI boost on E85
- E85
- ID 1000 injectors

So who needs ID2000's anymore? :-)
They have a dyno graph and internet video...that makes it real lol

Presumably there are errors in there somewhere.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

They have a dyno graph and internet video...that makes it real lol
:-)

Presumably there are errors in there somewhere.
Indeed.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

1400 rwhp traps 150.

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter GT9 cam in Twin turbo application