C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suction Throttling/Restricting Compressor Inlet??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Suction Throttling/Restricting Compressor Inlet??

Suction throttling involves placing a restriction orifice or restrictor plate over the inlet to the compressor in order to operate at a lower flow than desired. This will reduce the pressure at the compressor suction and increase system resistance. By doing this, the operating point of the compressor can be controlled.

This is used with success in the oil and gas industry on turbo compressors usually via an automated butterfly valve that is controlled based on a flow meter and corresponding logic.

I've also heard of this used with superchargers. An enthusiast buys a larger blower and restricts the inlet in order to limit overall manifold pressure and power. The result is more airflow sooner, a broader torque curve and then the blower is limited at higher rpm. I've never personally used one myself.

With the boost control issues I'm experiencing on the TTiX kit, I'm contemplating trying this out. A circular plate with a smaller opening would be located over the inlet to the compressor housing with the intention of limiting airflow into the compressor and hopefully gaining control again via the wastegate.

I understand how flow will be limited, but can't quite quantify what happens next. Obviously, less airflow into the engine should equal less exhaust flow out and less overall power.

My guess is that the compressor will now have to spin faster to reach the same airflow as before? Pressure ratios will be different and overall total output will likely be reduced?

Has anyone tried this before with an automotive turbo system?

What are the negative effects from an equipment reliability standpoint that should be considered? More heat? Higher stresses on the compressor or turbine wheel or shaft?

Any turbo machinery or rotating equipment experts out there?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Hmmm not sure how that's going to work Ben, but it might. Sort of the same as putting a restrictive exhaust on right? Just the other side?GL!

Last edited by inspector12; 11-24-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:14 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i believe it is standart practice to have standartised restrictors before the compressor in certain racing categories (or was).
Old 11-25-2015, 10:35 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by inspector12
Hmmm not sure how that's going to work Ben, but it might. Sort of the same as putting a restrictive exhaust on right? Just the other side?GL!
I'm with him, it will just limit overall power I think and possibly slow down spool. I haven't seen many try it thought so good data never hurts
Old 11-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Mopower2007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an aps twin turbo car myself. The APS inlets are restrictive and limit my boost and power (this is a fact as I can remove the inlets from the compressor housing on the dyno and make more boost & power). I've done some research on this subject and read comments that starving the turbo on the inlet side can cause oil to leak into the compressor side. I have not experienced this, but you might want to research the possibility before trying it. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by inspector12
Yes, I'm trying to understand how it works and what could go wrong before trying it out.

Originally Posted by romandian
i believe it is standart practice to have standartised restrictors before the compressor in certain racing categories (or was).
I've read about some of those instances for open wheel classes back in the day. I'm sure they changed turbos after every race.

Originally Posted by slow ride
I'm with him, it will just limit overall power I think and possibly slow down spool. I haven't seen many try it thought so good data never hurts
I'll test it out once I understand it and know how it works and any possible issues that it may cause. If I can't get a good consensus, then I'll just stick with what is already working.

Originally Posted by Mopower2007
I have an aps twin turbo car myself. The APS inlets are restrictive and limit my boost and power (this is a fact as I can remove the inlets from the compressor housing on the dyno and make more boost & power). I've done some research on this subject and read comments that starving the turbo on the inlet side can cause oil to leak into the compressor side. I have not experienced this, but you might want to research the possibility before trying it. Hope this helps.
Do you know if these comments were related to completely closing the inlet or just restricting it slightly?
Old 11-25-2015, 01:11 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

sounds like what the centri guys like ECS and A&A do to try & make it feel more like a PD blower. i'd bet you could talk to them about it, since a centri works pretty similarly to a turbo.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Mopower2007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many if not all of the major turbo manufacturers websites all address restrictive inlets as being a cause of oil being sucked past the oil seal on the compressor side and into the compressor housing which causes smoking, oil in inter cooler etc. I just offered this info as food for thought. It sounds like your inlet system is to good. I wish I had that problem! Good luck.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:20 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
sounds like what the centri guys like ECS and A&A do to try & make it feel more like a PD blower. i'd bet you could talk to them about it, since a centri works pretty similarly to a turbo.
Blower speed is direct correlation to engine rpm. Turbos are not. If you are trying to reach 10psi and put a restriction in front of the turbo it will spin faster to make that boost.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

TurboGeist. How much boost with no spring in wastegate?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

yeah, i know how each type works - i just meant the compressors are similar & wasn't sure if the turbo would just try harder to achieve its target.

Last edited by _zebra; 11-25-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
TurboGeist. How much boost with no spring in wastegate?
6# spring - 22.3 psi @ 6200
6# spring - 18.5 psi @ 5200
No gate - 18.5 psi @ 5200

*Gate was completely removed from the system.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Shoaf85
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not very familiar with your setup, are you on external gates or internal?

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, but seems to me that the turbo will just spin harder to make less power. Like you mentioned above I can see IAT's going up for sure.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Shoaf85
I'm not very familiar with your setup, are you on external gates or internal?
5-bolt internally gated housing but setup for external gates.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:34 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm just dying to see Jon weld a good gate to your turbine housing and solve all your boost control problems.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Get notified of new replies

To Suction Throttling/Restricting Compressor Inlet??

Quick Reply: Suction Throttling/Restricting Compressor Inlet??