C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide what TT kit for my C5 base

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Tim1137
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide what TT kit for my C5 base

Hi everyone, boy there is a lot of turbo kits and even more supercharger kits for these Corvettes...

I bought my 97 Corvette 6 spd, specifically with the intention of installing a turbo kit of some sorts. (Not a fan of superchargers, I'd like to stick to turbo). I like the idea of twin turbo, simply because its cool, so I'd rather do a twin kit, but after searching and searching I just simply don't know what to get. Rear mount turbos sound really cool, but I see a lot of negative feedback on them.

My budget is flexible, but I'm not looking for a build that cost me as much as the car. I don't have intentions of building my bone stock 99K mile LS1, and I'm not looking to shatter an performance records, this is just a fun car for me.

Looking for some help narrowing down my choices here. Any suggestions? The UPP twin turbo kit seems pretty cool, not sure if that kit is even any good though.

Last edited by Tim1137; 12-04-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim1137
Hi everyone, boy there is a lot of turbo kits and even more supercharger kits for these Corvettes...

I bought my 97 Corvette 6 spd, specifically with the intention of installing a turbo kit of some sorts. (Not a fan of superchargers, I'd like to stick to turbo). I like the idea of twin turbo, simply because its cool, so I'd rather do a twin kit, but after searching and searching I just simply don't know what to get. Rear mount turbos sound really cool, but I see a lot of negative feedback on them.

My budget is flexible, but I'm not looking for a build that cost me as much as the car. I don't have intentions of building my bone stock 99K mile LS1, and I'm not looking to shatter an performance records, this is just a fun car for me.

Looking for some help narrowing down my choices here. Any suggestions? The UPP twin turbo kit seems pretty cool, not sure if that kit is even any good though.
"COOL" < Functionality-Packaging

Just saying.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:03 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim1137

Then you don't need to take someone word on any kit just if me would look good at what ever kit some of these guy tell you really good before pulling the gun. But a rear mount seems more trouble than others.

Plus why not a good single front turbo less money & one less thing to go bad.. Just do a nice clean job it will work & do great for you.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Tim1137
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the rear mount setup I'm not sure is worth the hassle... I'm not 100% opposed to a single turbo kit, but if there isn't much of a cost difference I'd rather have a twin kit. I checked STS' website to look at their rear mount kit and apparently they are out of business anyways...

What single kits are out there that are decent?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:10 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Smoove
"COOL" < Functionality-Packaging

Just saying.
Talk with this guy he is a good turbo man. Plus you can get a lot of your parts from him on your build. I know & can tell you, you will not do any better on fuel system & other parts than him. I got a ton of parts from him on my RHS 427 motor build.. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 12-04-2015 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Kinda partial to TTiX myself. Gonna need about 10k to get started though, unless you find one used. Just curious, where are you located?
Old 12-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert miller
Talk with this guy he is a good turbo guy. Plus you can get a lot of your parts from him on the build. I know & can tell you this will not do any better on fuel system & other parts than I got from him on my RHS 427 motor build.. Robert
I was trying to be the best kept secret.

Truthfully I only have experience with custom kits, and a couple of lingenfelter cars. I think one of my customers has a TTiX setup and one with an APS. Other than that, you probably would want advice from someone that has an actual kit. My "PTK" kit(which I am most experienced with) is not really a kit, and not for most. TTiX would be what I would recommend, in kit for...although I couple of new radical looking kits are becoming available...although not a lot of info about them from what I have seen.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I like the TTix because it has nice coated cast iron manifolds and it's very durable.

the smallish t3/4 hybrid ball bearing turbos spool ultra quick and flow enough for 1k at the tire or a bit more with the right engine.

I think UPP makes some nice stuff and the PTK is awesome but less "stealthy" than the TTix kit

that being said the ttix is a royal PITA to install and really needs to be done with a cradle drop to make it easier. it can be done with everything installed but you will hate yourself

10k is a big chuck of cash to get started, but custom solutions cost way more

the STS stuff works but I'd take the ttix or ptk setups

APS is gone except for used stuff.

if you have the talent to fab it up, you can save some $$ and look at some of the custom designs that have made some notable improvements on the inlet and down pipe plumbing which also allow bigger turbos.

first think about, goals, budget, and all the little releated upgrades which add up quick.

I hate to say it, but buying a "done car" is a much cheaper way to go.

save up, look at whats available

several for sale in the 25-30k range which can be offset by the sale of your current ride

trust me on this. get an automatic coupe (which are cheap) if you want turbos. the power can quickly bust up clutches and shock the drivetrain with turbos and if you drag race the car the auto will run and hide from a stick and quite honestly turbos kinda suck (pun intended) for road racing as the power is excessive and a bit hard to control.

My ttix car was 50k turn key, but you can find a "done" car much cheaper than that now and you leverage someone elses "mod money"
Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Unless you are going max effort turbo is too expensive with too many headaches. I have no clue why people would pay $10k for a TTiX kit that uses log manifolds, ancient turbos and 2.5" down pipes.

Unless you are seeking big power then the only think cool about a TT kit is you get to tell people your car is TT....BFD
Old 12-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Milan
Unless you are seeking big power then the only think cool about a TT kit is you get to tell people your car is TT....BFD
I think that's his motif. After years of breaking sh*t (turbocharged)...cool, isn't how I would describe it.

Expensive, now thats more like it LOL.

Keep it simple, just buy a blower, make all the power you want, and call it a day.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

If you are wanting to go with a reliable and proven setup, my vote is for the TTIX kit from Turbo Technology. It works great on a stock engine or a forged monster. Mine has worked flawlessly for almost 7 years. The look on supercharged owners faces is priceless when you cross the line ahead of them.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:14 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Kinda partial to TTiX myself. Gonna need about 10k to get started though, unless you find one used. Just curious, where are you located?
On the TTIX set up. One of the best as far as buying a full set up kit from a manf. I money is not a question think you will be happy with it on your car & not wanting to make really big rwhp on a 1999 vette all stock with 100,k miles on it.

But smoove can help you with all your side parts..
Old 12-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
I think that's his motif. After years of breaking sh*t (turbocharged)...cool, isn't how I would describe it.

Expensive, now thats more like it LOL.

Keep it simple, just buy a blower, make all the power you want, and call it a day.
and always keep those blower belts nice n tight.

The following users liked this post:
Smoove (12-08-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 08:26 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

some great advice given here. If you can find a tt already built...that is a solid way to go and then you can fine tune it to you liking. Much more to consider than just a tt "kit"....clutch, fuel system, tune....etc.....which can add up in a hurry. Keep researching and best wishes on your build.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
and always keep those blower belts nice n tight.

lolz

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to decide what TT kit for my C5 base

Quick Reply: Trying to decide what TT kit for my C5 base