C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APS oil scavenge system upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Is that an error, or can the crankcase actually breathe ?

Although with the scavenge pump crankcase breathing is probably less of an issue as the pump should be pulling everything from the turbos regardless.
Clean air enters the left valve cover and is pulled from the right valve cover into a catch can. Vacuum to the catch can comes from the intake and from behind the air filter on the right turbo inlet both using one way valves.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting results, fill us in after you put some more miles on the setup please. You run BB CHRA's correct?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:10 PM
Klug23
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I do low mount oil scavenge systems.
Oil feed:
Pull from the highest place possible, I usually use the oil pressure sensor port, either drill and tap the valley cover, or use an aeroflow fitting that goes between the valley cover and oil sensor with a 1/8 npt port off of it.

Two Swaglok check valves on each feed line, 1/8 brass style, 10 psi cracking pressure.

Oil return:
Low profile drain housings
Drain needs to be vented, i usually vent the drain housing or T fitting. Vent can run to the valve cover
Turbowerx mini scavenge pump
Swaglok check valve after scavenge pump 1/4 npt, 1/3 psi cracking or 1 psi.
-6 to valve cover

I use a 30 second timer on the scavenge pump after key off to clear any extra oil down there.

Most of the time the oil comes from key off situations where all the oil in the line from the scavenge pump to valve cover drains back into the turbos from the bottom. Also noticed oil coming from feed lines when the engine is draining down when you pull oil source low.

Since doing all of this, no more smoking issues and my turbos are lower than most of you guys.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:55 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I don't understand how the scavenging pump can create suction if the return line is vented.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:03 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The tilting of the turbo is a huge difference.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Klug23
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I don't understand how the scavenging pump can create suction if the return line is vented.
You don't want suction on the turbos. You just want it to move fluid. Keeping it sealed won't move enough fluid, can't suck fluid from a vacuum.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:13 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Well I'm thinking of it like sucking soda from a straw. If I tee into the straw and vent it I'm not going to get any soda.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 PM
Klug23
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Well I'm thinking of it like sucking soda from a straw. If I tee into the straw and vent it I'm not going to get any soda.
Keep the soda can sealed, you can suck all you want, nothing is coming out and your can is still full.

Don't have to listen or even care, I have mounted precisions lower and more often than most without a single failure or smoking issue.

Last edited by Klug23; 03-25-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Klug23
6th Gear

What I found is a turbowerx mini will pull up to 6 inches of vacuum with the car running and supplying the turbos with oil. Since precision ball bearing turbos have such small out restricters, the scavenge pump can only empty what is coming in at the present time, do a wot up to redline when your turbos are seeing the most oil, pop in the clutch and you are supply very little oil to the turbos, in this situation there is excess oil in the drain system that the pump can't remove. Also in a key off situation when there is no vent and no timer. Your drain system is completely full of oil plus add the oil that drains back through the pump from the return line that runs all the way up to a valve cover, you will literally fill your system up including filling your turbos up with oil. Since turbos do not have a convential seal, oil leaks into your exhaust and charge pipes.

Adding a vent, timer, and check valve after scavenge pump, eliminates all this. Scavenge pump is able to pull out the oil regardless what the turbos are being fed, removes excess after key off and check valves keep oil extra oil out if the drains.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:10 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Klug23
Don't have to listen or even care, I have mounted precisions lower and more often than most without a single failure or smoking issue.
Not questioning it just trying to wrap my head around it.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Klug23
You don't want suction on the turbos. You just want it to move fluid. Keeping it sealed won't move enough fluid, can't suck fluid from a vacuum.
Mine are sealed, mine works perfectly.

It would never be sucking fluid from a vacuum, because there would never be vacuum created.

Oil is always moving, compressor/turbine seals are not perfect.

Air and oil will always be able to move.

If you are trying to replicate a gravity system and drain into a lower mounted reservoir, then yes you may want to vent the reservoir you scavenge from.

If not using this design and pretty much pulling straight from the turbos, you may not.

Try both and see what works for you.

And what Klug is describing about the Exa not coping with oil flow to the turbos....I dont believe it for a second unless the Mini flows much less than the full size Exa. Even more so as he's saying he uses BB turbos which will have a restricted supply and hence very little oil flow to begin with.

The Exa really does flow a shitload of oil.

I run 2 x full size -4 feeds to my turbos, no restrictions and the Exa pulls from both. I have no oil control issues at any rpm and my Exa pulls from right down by the base of the oil pan level from a high mounted location top left of the engine where my old Vortech used to sit.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 03-26-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Mine are sealed, mine works perfectly.

It would never be sucking fluid from a vacuum, because there would never be vacuum created.

Oil is always moving, compressor/turbine seals are not perfect.

Air and oil will always be able to move.

If you are trying to replicate a gravity system and drain into a lower mounted reservoir, then yes you may want to vent the reservoir you scavenge from.

If not using this design and pretty much pulling straight from the turbos, you may not.

Try both and see what works for you.

And what Klug is describing about the Exa not coping with oil flow to the turbos....I dont believe it for a second unless the Mini flows much less than the full size Exa. Even more so as he's saying he uses BB turbos which will have a restricted supply and hence very little oil flow to begin with.

The Exa really does flow a shitload of oil.

I run 2 x full size -4 feeds to my turbos, no restrictions and the Exa pulls from both. I have no oil control issues at any rpm and my Exa pulls from right down by the base of the oil pan level from a high mounted location top left of the engine where my old Vortech used to sit.
There is a vacuum created on ball bearing precisions. Twin turbo car would still pull up to 6 inches of vacuum with the car on idling. Tested this many times.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 402
There is a vacuum created on ball bearing precisions. Twin turbo car would still pull up to 6 inches of vacuum with the car on idling. Tested this many times.
I guess sealing arrangements with BB vs JB are very different.

I've only used the scavenge with JB...and on mine if I vented the reservoir it smoked like **** !

Quick Reply: APS oil scavenge system upgraded