C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of finally selling

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Thinking of finally selling

I bought my '01 convertible new in March of 2001 as a present to myself for making my first rank of lieutenant, and now 15 years later and what seems like a lifetime of friends met through the car and this forum, including two fantastic guys, Chris and Doug of ECS, I think it's finally time for me to move on.

It's not for lack of love though. Each time I sit in the car and start it up, it's like a boost of adrenaline. As I'm sure anyone reading this knows, supercharged 427 C5's are sick, and I think that's putting it lightly!

So here's my dilemma, I'm ready for something new. I've already done the SCCA thing with a very competitive 94 RX7 TT, so I know if I get a Cayman GT4 or a Ferrari, I'll be right back on the track. On the other hand, the new vettes just don't do it for me (no offense to anyone who has one).

What I'm thinking is something I can drive everyday. I've recently taken out a 2016 Challenger R/T Shaker Scat Pack for a test drive, and for an every day car, I think this is close to what I need. After some further research though (and the honest fact of what I'd be giving up), I'm leaning now toward the new SRT Hellcat Challenger.
Just wondering if any other members here might have one? and perhaps what they thought of the car?

Thanks for any thoughtful comments

Bill

Last edited by Billy182; 02-06-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Big Jt
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you love driving, get an older Ferrari.. I have one and its a blast to drive ..95 and down of coarse.. they are not track cars but great for street use..
Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 auto in addition to my Vortech supercharged 2001 C5 six speed. It is a beast and will easily outrun my C5 which made 502 rwhp on the dyno. So far very happy with it. It is very tame when driven normally, but has massive power when called on.The exhaust is quite loud, and could be an issue if you don't like a loud exhaust. It is seriously under tired on the rear and I am actively looking for new wheels and tries for the rear. Unlike Camaro and Mustang the back seat is quite usable, but keep in mind that this is a big car. It stops very well and corners better than it is given credit for, although it is not as good as my heavily modified C5. Ride is firm but not uncomfortable. Gas mileage is not very good, so I don't think it would make a great daily driver for that reason, otherwise it is fine as a daily driver. If you have any specific question feel free to PM me.

Phil
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Jt
If you love driving, get an older Ferrari.. I have one and its a blast to drive ..95 and down of coarse.. they are not track cars but great for street use..
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the Ferrari, I've considered a last year Testarosa and the 360 Spyder. The 355's & 308's just don't do it for me, and older than that price/return for me becomes an issue. What can I say, the supercharged Vette has spoiled me!
I will admit though that I've visited an alloy 550 builder in Florida and that idea has some spice to it.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

You have had that car for a long time Bill, as nice as it is, life is short and a change is needed sometimes.

Best of luck to you with your next whip, and if anyone is interested in his car I can vouch that it is a meticulously kept car.

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 02-09-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

355s sound so good. Can't believe that's not an option.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Probably miss the vette the first time you try to go fast though.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Big Jt
Instructor

I prefer the 348 over the 355.. its more of a drivers car..
Old 02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Default Thanks Doug

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
You have had that car for a long time Bill, as nice as it is, life is short and a change is needed sometimes.

Best of luck to you with your next whip, and if anyone is interested in his car I can vouch that it is a meticulously kept car.

Hey there Doug,
Thanks for your kind words! You and Chris have been the best throughout the years I've owned the car. From that very first crazy test drive that Chris took me in his own personal car down Grove Street in Montcliar, to your meticulous attention to detail in building my supercharged 427 beast has been second to none.

For those who may be interested, the car is a time capsule with 17,794 original miles. I'm the original owner and personally picked my car up from Kerbeck Chevy in Atlantic City NJ in March of 2001. The car is a Z51 Quicksilver 6 spd convertible. I have a full dossier that includes every document and receipt for the car including original window sticker. As I said in my opening post, the car was a present to myself; however, after my experience at ground zero following the 9/11 attacks, enjoying this special car became more fulfilling.
The car has been a full feature article in Corvette Enthusiast magazine. All engine work done by ECS, the 427 F1 supercharged, methanol injection, 1 7/8" Kooks, 3 inch pipes, 3.90 rear. The list goes on and on. If anyone is seriously interested please drop me a line with a reasonable offer

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/VR...g9kwd.mp4.html

Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

car is super nice love the convert with the tiger shark front and that engine is to die for

hellcat is super nice but I'd have to stick with that vette!!!

what's your asking price?
Old 02-13-2016, 02:11 PM
back in business
Intermediate

Hello Sir,I Just sold my silver zo6 twin turbo that I regret selling for several reasons. I know you have thought thru your decision .I like to always start from the end and work my way back thru something. Whether it be something like this or a problem I am having with a car. But my way of doing it felled me on this one. Just saying Sir think hard and long and continue on.This is the first time I have seen your car and a beauty and a beast it is.I was originally wanting a convertible supercharged c5.Being I just sold mine Wow,A opportunity comes knocking.If you would sir would you pm me how to get ahold of you or I can give you my number 912-359-2757. or 912-850 5716 cell you can text me I am around loud equipment on my farm and its hard to hear a phone a lot of times.Last Thank you for the kind word about my car at the time.The guy said he had bought it and was waiting delivery and had only sent me a down payment.it was not that close to being his .But he does have it now.I did not think I would ever see one cleaner than that one was but I will have to give it to you hands downs.Thanks for your time.Joe Lott

Last edited by back in business; 02-13-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: wanting to know the hp and tq numbers .you can send them to me
Old 02-13-2016, 07:38 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

A C5 convertible that looks good. Wow.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:19 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

not sure I understand the dilemma, I get that you want something new, but you mentioned the SCCA part, like you don't want to like it, but you do.

what are you looking for in the new car exactly.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:17 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

You should keep it around Bill. It sounds like the car has some sentimental value as a gift for making rank, as well as the centerpiece to friendships; among other things.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
You should keep it around Bill. It sounds like the car has some sentimental value as a gift for making rank, as well as the centerpiece to friendships; among other things.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks for your kind thoughts. The fact is, it does have sentimental value, three big things happening right after I bought it, making rank, losing one of my best friends who gave all while trying to save a child in a tenement (and was later given the honor of making rank posthumously), and then only a couple months later I responded to ground zero with my department to help search for survivors.

All in all, lots of memories
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Big Jt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billy182
, losing one of my best friends
This is the exact reason Ill never sell mine.. I drive it twice a year or so now but its something that we both had and lived for.. so it sits on the rack and makes me smile every time i see it!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Thanks Jt, your comments means a lot, although there is a time and a place for everything in this life. I bought this car new and truly enjoyed the experience of ownership. Now its time for someone else to have that same chance with this incredible machine. I've posted it in the for sale section and would be happy to talk to anyone seriously considering this truly awesome car

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of finally selling

Quick Reply: Thinking of finally selling