C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative intercooler and radiator mounting locations

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alternative intercooler and radiator mounting locations

Would it be possible to run a V-mount style radiator and intercooler in the C5's to better manage heat (soak)?

The IC and radiator are not being obstructed by each other when mounted in a V. Intake piping could potentially be quite short. You'd have to run an extractor hood (build you own with those rivet on T1 vents that pop up once in a while). Unfortunately I've only ever seen these IC setups on cars that feed from the front and not the bottom, so I don't know if you could actually get enough airflow to both the IC and radiator if you chopped up the rad cover, put an IC there and then had extractor vents above the IC/Rad to get as much heat out of the engine bay as possible.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Been toying with the idea of building a small-ish/medium-ish single turbo for fun (not an insane amount of boost/HP). I'm just not entirely fond of the idea of mounting the radiator, AC, and IC all in one big warm sandwich.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Mount radiator out back, coolant lines thru rockers, IC, and turbo room upfront. A member here has done it..and it works. With an extractor hood and a tigershark bumper your idea could probably work. Or just an extractor hood probably, just angle the IC and radiator opposite direction, raked forward, not raked back(C7 vs C5).
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smoove
Mount radiator out back, coolant lines thru rockers, IC, and turbo room upfront. A member here has done it..and it works. With an extractor hood and a tigershark bumper your idea could probably work. Or just an extractor hood probably, just angle the IC and radiator opposite direction, raked forward, not raked back(C7 vs C5).

I've been thinking of rear-mounting an radiator for a long time, didn't think anyone with a vette actually gone and done it. But it would be perfect.

As for the forward angled radiator, I may have found someone that did that with a pro-charger kit and the IC ended up blocking only a couple inches of the radiator... I'll have to track him down on here and see if he has part numbers for all the things he used.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Shoaf85
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default My rear mounted radiator setup

Here is an example.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Shoaf85; 02-09-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:59 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

AVB on here v mounted his intercooler and rad on a road race PTK setup.

Alternatively, why not side mount the intercoolers like the alAPS kit did? This is that people are doing on the C7 Z06's to try and combat high coolant temps when on track.

Last edited by chuntington101; 02-09-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:07 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Alternatively maybe look at how procharger mount their intercooler on the C7. These are v mount style.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shoaf85
PICS
Thank you for posting pictures. I wonder though if you could stick NACA ducts on the truck lid to feed air into the radiator- or somewhere else on the car.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
AVB on here v mounted his intercooler and rad on a road race PTK setup.

Alternatively, why not side mount the intercoolers like the alAPS kit did? This is that people are doing on the C7 Z06's to try and combat high coolant temps when on track.
I'll have to take a look at the side mounts.

Alternatively maybe look at how procharger mount their intercooler on the C7. These are v mount style.
I was looking, the C7 has the benefit of a forward titled radiator and a nice heat extraction system, so if I decide to keep my radiator in the front I'll probably look into doing the same thing... might even find the hood and shrouding from a C7 to cut up and use.

----
Additionally, is there such think as a low(er) profile LS6 water pump? I know of electric ones and apparently the LS2 is a little thinner... but anything aftermarket that isn't as bulky as the stock LS6 unit? (takes up a huge amount of space)
Old 02-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

NACA ducts would work although I THINK his coolant temps are good on the street from what I have read in the past from him.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:25 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Sorry I should have asked first, what are you trying to achieve? Are you having high engine coolant temps (ECT), high engine oil temps (EOT) or high intake air temps (IAT)?

V mounting is normally to try and combat high ECT or EOT whilst still maintaining good IATs.
If you are just worried about IATs then you need to be looking at the size of the intercooler and not V mounting it.

There are plenty of very high powered cars out there that use the stock configuration and work fine for drag racing and street duty. If you road race (ie on tack) then that's a different story.

Also it's not just the layout that you need to be looking at. It's getting air to and from the cooling pack (intercooler, condenser, radiator). The C5s aren't great at this but there are well documented and tested way of improving airflow.

Last edited by chuntington101; 02-11-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Sorry I should have asked first, what are you trying to achieve? Are you having high engine coolant temps (ECT), high engine oil temps (EOT) or high intake air temps (IAT)?

V mounting is normally to try and combat high ECT or EOT whilst still maintaining good IATs.
If you are just worried about IATs then you need to be looking at the size of the intercooler and not V mounting it.

There are plenty of very high powered cars out there that use the stock configuration and work fine for drag racing and street duty. If you road race (ie on tack) then that's a different story.

Also it's not just the layout that you need to be looking at. It's getting air to and from the cooling pack (intercooler, condenser, radiator). The C5s aren't great at this but there are well documented and tested way of improving airflow.

My idea (concern) was to combat the coolant/oil temps that usually plague FI vettes due to an IC being mounted directly in front of the stock cooling pack on a car that isn't well known for being "cool operating".
Old 02-20-2016, 10:57 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

About nine years ago I posted a thread on how I improved cooling with FMIC remaining in place. The main ingredient was a Tigershark front that provided a large opening for more airflow and a few small but effective changes in air gap and placement of components. Looking back I can see where I could have made additional improvements but this met all goals and had no reason to do more.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-results.html

The C7Z is having similar cooling issues. LG and Katech both posted threads detailing their solutions and I suggest you look in C7 ZO6 section and read both of their threads.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:12 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black0ut
My idea (concern) was to combat the coolant/oil temps that usually plague FI vettes due to an IC being mounted directly in front of the stock cooling pack on a car that isn't well known for being "cool operating".
So you are not having any issues at the moment? If that's the case then you don't have anything to worry about.

If you are having temp issues at low speeds then you need more fan. This may be due to the intecooler reducing airflow through the rad at low speeds.

If you are getting high temps are normal speeds then you have a issue that you might need to start engineering a solution for. First thing is do as Nemisis did below and try and get as much air as you can through the rad but leave the intercooler in the stock location. Look to fully shroud the rad so the air is forced to go through rad and can't go anwhere else. Then maybe look at a extractor style hood to help increase the pressure difference over the radiator, further increasing airflow and also allowing the air out.

If you are still having temp issues then it's time to start to look at separating the cooling paths for the radiator and intercooler. You could look at V mounting or you could look to mount two coolers like APS did. This would totally separate the cooling paths.

There are also some serious oil cooler options out there that mount big oil coolers either side of the rad (same location as APS intercoolers).
Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 PM
goombadi99
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running an ecs kit and even on 90 degree day I don't see over 180 with my coolant temps and my intercooler is right in front of my radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternative intercooler and radiator mounting locations

Quick Reply: Alternative intercooler and radiator mounting locations