C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech Blower Install Cost Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Default Vortech Blower Install Cost Question

Okay, I posted a thread on what my old V1 S Trim Blower might be worth.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-be-worth.html

Now I've received a quote from a local Dyno Shop, on what it would cost for them to install the Blower that I have. These would be the costs:

- A&A Kit w/injectors $3900
- Labor to install and tune $2000
- TOTAL $5900

Do you guys in-the-know feel that this is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

125 bucks an hour (typical good shop rate) multiplied by 16 hours for blower install and Tune = 2K. It sounds reasonable to me.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks MVP.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:47 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Considering there are vendors running specials for new kits installed at just over 6K. I would say it isn't worth it to use your old blower, and pay for all new accessories to make it work.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:53 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

I totally hear ya red! I just wish that these vendors were a bit closer to me (Omaha NE).
Old 02-16-2016, 03:10 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
I totally hear ya red! I just wish that these vendors were a bit closer to me (Omaha NE).
Install it yourself, and learn a lot about the kit in the process. That will make the cost of owing a supercharged corvette drop significantly, if you know how to do the basic installation and maintenance of the kit.

I did my own installation over a weekend having never done anything like it before. That was ten years ago, and I've changed or modded the system so many times since then I cant remember. If I had to pay a shop each time I wouldn't have been able to afford to play.

Just a thought, i understand its not something everyone wants to tackle themselves.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:44 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redcycle13
Install it yourself, and learn a lot about the kit in the process. That will make the cost of owing a supercharged corvette drop significantly, if you know how to do the basic installation and maintenance of the kit.

I did my own installation over a weekend having never done anything like it before. That was ten years ago, and I've changed or modded the system so many times since then I cant remember. If I had to pay a shop each time I wouldn't have been able to afford to play.

Just a thought, i understand its not something everyone wants to tackle themselves.
Yeah I'm kinda leaning more and more to this route. I really do like working on the car myself (even though I'm FAR from being a "pro"), and I do have a buddy of mine that's really experienced in this. We've been toying with the idea of doing the install...it's just that we're both really busy right now...but I'm thinking that this may be the way to go.

Last edited by FrankLP; 02-16-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

If you can commit a weekend or commit 2 hours per night for a week or two that ought to get you in the ballpark. The blower install itself is easy as pie. It's the peripheral bullsh|t that will drive you nuts.

Fuel pump replacement was annoying but easy. Easier route would be an in-line pump.
BAP was easy
Injectors are easy
Blower bracket and blower head unit install with belt was easy.
Changing the dang power steering/alternator bracket - absolutely painful. Holy sheet.
Pinning crank took a long time to get stuff out of the way, but was easy overall.

The whole thing is way easy if you have a lift or can get the car nice and high on jacks.

Absolutely don't do it without an impact wrench for the suspension pieces.

But it's all doable, you can save 2k, and then not only brag that you "dunnit yaself" but also know how it works and how to fix it easy.

Edit: it's all a lot easier when you have a second pair of hands helping out! I went solo and just let the speakers blast to keep me company.

Last edited by Tusc; 02-16-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Install your self. Use the cash you save for an upgraded fuel setup.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Okay, I posted a thread on what my old V1 S Trim Blower might be worth.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-be-worth.html

Now I've received a quote from a local Dyno Shop, on what it would cost for them to install the Blower that I have. These would be the costs:

- A&A Kit w/injectors $3900
- Labor to install and tune $2000
- TOTAL $5900

Do you guys in-the-know feel that this is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks
May I ask where your getting the AA kit for $3900?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:52 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zdeckich
May I ask where your getting the AA kit for $3900?
Not totally sure. This is the information I received from a Dyno Shop here in Omaha. The $3900 was the price minus the blower of course.

I see on the A&A site that they have an Upgrade Grade Kit Stage 4 for $3295 (no injectors). Perhaps this is what was spec'd for me.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:54 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tusc
If you can commit a weekend or commit 2 hours per night for a week or two that ought to get you in the ballpark. The blower install itself is easy as pie. It's the peripheral bullsh|t that will drive you nuts.

Fuel pump replacement was annoying but easy. Easier route would be an in-line pump.
BAP was easy
Injectors are easy
Blower bracket and blower head unit install with belt was easy.
Changing the dang power steering/alternator bracket - absolutely painful. Holy sheet.
Pinning crank took a long time to get stuff out of the way, but was easy overall.

The whole thing is way easy if you have a lift or can get the car nice and high on jacks.

Absolutely don't do it without an impact wrench for the suspension pieces.

But it's all doable, you can save 2k, and then not only brag that you "dunnit yaself" but also know how it works and how to fix it easy.

Edit: it's all a lot easier when you have a second pair of hands helping out! I went solo and just let the speakers blast to keep me company.
Thanks Tusc. As you mentioned, access to the proper tools/garage is a challenge for me.

Last edited by FrankLP; 02-17-2016 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2003Evo (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Doing such work its easier said than done and can drive you crazy sometimes. If you dont have the patience dont bother with it, unless you want to learn how to be patient and test your nerves.
If you dont have tools also dont bother and try it. This is not a task you do with a few wrenches and ratchets, you need air tools and a compressor to do the work quick and be efficient. You dont want to be wrenching and waisting time/energy on things that can take a couple of minutes with air tools (like suspension stuff or certain brackets).
Also you cant go into this being scared thinking you will mess things up because you will. If you want to do it yourself go with an open mind and as others have said do it slowly. Winter time is the best time. Make a plan and stick with it, every day try and remove/install something. Spend a couple of hours a night in the garage, music and some beer make it a lot easier and enjoyable.
In the end paying a shop that kind if money seems crazy, i would look into other shops and try to get them charge you $80-90hr. Look aound and talk to other vendors if you want to go the shop route.

Last edited by 2003Evo; 02-20-2016 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FrankLP (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:12 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the detailed response 2003Evo. I'm really beginning to think that I may eventually end up going a different direction. All of the information from the members on this board has (as usual) been extremely helpful. Thanks again.

Last edited by FrankLP; 02-24-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:11 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

When I bought my kit, the car was still new to me in great condition with no leaks so I was a little intimidated to do it myself. Fast forward 2 years, Ive done a clutch, fuel pump, new balancer, and rack and pinion. I would install that blower in a heartbeat now. Save the money and do it yourself. Youll know the kit a lot better. Even when I had to replace a simple belt I had to go back and study the install directions online just to see how it came apart. I would have known if I would have done it myself.

Last edited by ascastil; 02-20-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:07 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ascastil
When I bought my kit, the car was still new to me in great condition with no leaks so I was a little intimidated to do it myself. Fast forward 2 years, Ive done a clutch, fuel pump, new balancer, and rack and pinion. I would install that blower in a heartbeat now. Save the money and do it yourself. Youll know the kit a lot better. Even when I had to replace a simple belt I had to go back and study the install directions online just to see how it came apart. I would have known if I would have done it myself.
Same here. Prior to my latest install, the most difficult task I had ever done was LT headers on the vette. I think that still remains true today. Its not difficult, just time consuming.

I have pulling the steering rack down to a quick job. I had to do it three times (dont buy the wrong crank bolt).

The drivetrain removal for clutch upgrade was simple too. Just take your time and follow directions.

Pinning the crank requires you to be a 3 handed contortionist. But I did everything by myself. No extra help.

And with the money you save, you can buy a few of those tools that will be required and have them for in the future when you undoubtedly will be tearing into it again.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 02-24-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech Blower Install Cost Question

Quick Reply: Vortech Blower Install Cost Question