C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequential shift light. Whos got the skills???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Sequential shift light. Whos got the skills???

One day, when I grow up, i'll be as baller as some of you and buy whatever I want...including a dashpak of some sort of some brand,...whatever. For right now, I have a stock ECM car(eventually will be holley, possibly this year). I don't like the standard shift lights we see and know. The sequential ones seem to catch my eye. I have found a couple of off the shelf LED shift lights,..they aren't exactly what I am looking for. What I want, is something like this...that I could maybe put on the inside of my HUD,....or at base or top of my cluster.

It seems that this is a setup people can build....it requires building the circuit,...and the code to command the light function. I messaged a couple of PC gurus I know, and they're gonna look into it for me. In the meantime....has anyone done something like this? I really don't need the digital readout visible, it could be hidden....just the shift lights.

..and the code.

https://github.com/chippernut

So...anyone try this? Willing to? Cause I want it.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:23 PM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I can only shift by ear.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jhopper408
I can only shift by ear.
Right?? It really depends on which car, and which power level I am at. The bigger the power, the less I take my eyes off the road...lesser...I'll be pretty much eyeballing the tach until it's time. However if I can get a visible display, color coordinated, that I can see, I really don't need to look down at all any time soon. With my setup, I really don't need to redline a whole bunch anyways.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

You said it perfectly! But that device might work real good since it lights up real bright. I assume..
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:54 PM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I would like one too!!
Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

You said it perfectly! But that device might work real good since it lights up real bright. I assume..
Yeah, I would like one too!!
Nice!

I have a couple of guys(one of which is already a step a head of me with all the equipment) looking into the coding right now, which is the hard part I am told.

I'll keep everyone posted to what goes down.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:52 PM
Uhhtaken
Instructor

Location: Jacksonville,nc and Williamsburg,va North Carolina and virginia
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-i/
http://www.caraddiction.co.uk/sld5.htm
Would something like this interest you?

Last edited by Uhhtaken; 04-26-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Smoove (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Not working on shifts lights but attempting to use a rasp pi + 7" touchscreen and arduino ad converter to show boost, fp and wideband.
Smoove (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 05:01 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I have just the guy. A late model Vette nut, like the rest of us and well versed in Arduino toys. Schpenxel. I'll PM him and ask him to join in the fun because that's a cool setup!

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Smoove (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What's we got going on up in here?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Uhhtaken
Thanks for sharing. I have been messaging back and forth with ecliptech regarding a new product coming out. They're out of stock of the one I would have bought(SBR), no eta of new stock. The new product coming out seems to be a pretty simple, basic setup, that would do what I want. It's just that it is a LITTLE bit bulky in comparison to the above video posted. The caraddition site one isn't bad either, just not exactly what I am wanting as far as looks. I'd like to streamline the cockpit, not add bulky things to it if possible. Not a bad option but more of a last resort for me. Thanks again for sharing.

Originally Posted by ysb02
Not working on shifts lights but attempting to use a rasp pi + 7" touchscreen and arduino ad converter to show boost, fp and wideband.
Nice. Next on my list to get rid of is my radio stuff,..maybe entire center console. I'd at minimum go with a tablet but I think I wouldn't mind a PC and larger screen so I could have all readouts like you mentioned, fuel, boost,wideband, maybe oil or a shift lite, etc. Hope it works out for you, looking forward to to results.

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
I have just the guy. A late model Vette nut, like the rest of us and well versed in Arduino toys. Schpenxel. I'll PM him and ask him to join in the fun because that's a cool setup!
schweeeeeeeet!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel
What's we got going on up in here?
Must be you.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:01 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'll look through the link you posted some more.. looks like a neat project

Worst case, if all you want are some basic lights / no LCD I could come up with something like that. The hardest part is making it possible to adjust when the lights come on. Just making them come on at certain RPM's is easy (famous last words, right? haha)

I've got a pile of Arduino boards laying around that I can mess with. Let me read a bit more about it but I should be able to help

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-27-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Smoove (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 12:15 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I know that its not has clever but in my last F-body i did use 2 raptor shift light on top off each other on the a pillar.

A blue one at 6400rpm and a red one at 6700rpm. The blue one was there to caught my attention and the red one of course was my shift point

Was gonna do the same in my c5 but i would be even more interested in your project

Last edited by always faster; 04-27-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:28 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
Nice. Next on my list to get rid of is my radio stuff,..maybe entire center console. I'd at minimum go with a tablet but I think I wouldn't mind a PC and larger screen so I could have all readouts like you mentioned, fuel, boost,wideband, maybe oil or a shift lite, etc. Hope it works out for you, looking forward to to results.
I need to install the new wideband but I had it showing 0-5V on the old one. I'm checking to see how accurate it is since it has to do 5V -> 3.3V conversion getting to the Pi. Also the refresh rate is important so it doesn't lag too much.

If this works I plan on using it to show what people gauges for + ODB2 data if I can access that easily. Also playing mp3s. Once I have the hw working I'll work on getting it mounted in a modified console bracket replacing the radio.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:40 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I would place the led strip in the steering wheel
Old 04-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'll look through the link you posted some more.. looks like a neat project

Worst case, if all you want are some basic lights / no LCD I could come up with something like that. The hardest part is making it possible to adjust when the lights come on. Just making them come on at certain RPM's is easy (famous last words, right? haha)

I've got a pile of Arduino boards laying around that I can mess with. Let me read a bit more about it but I should be able to help

LOL sounds like me(famous last words). Without a doubt, I do not need or really want the digital read out. I never really liked the look of the digital calculator style numbers in a car so without a doubt, all I am interested in is a functional shift light like the one in the video. I figure maybe hidden inside my HUD,...or somewhere in my dash would be ideal.

I do indeed appreciate your time in this. Thanks for being cool, and looking into it. It APPEARS, that several people might be on board as well if you wanted some extra business out of it. I'm just glad I'm not the only person that likes bright flashy lights and unicorns LMAO

(thanks again)

Originally Posted by always faster
I know that its not has clever but in my last F-body i did use 2 raptor shift light on top off each other on the a pillar.

A blue one at 6400rpm and a red one at 6700rpm. The blue one was there to caught my attention and the red one of course was my shift point

Was gonna do the same in my c5 but i would be even more interested in your project
Doesn't sound too bad really, sounds cool. I have had a couple of shift lights laying around, unused now for years(autometer stuff, so nothing that cool[raptor]) but just could never pull myself together to use them on my C5. Hopefully this works out, and is possible.

Originally Posted by ysb02
I need to install the new wideband but I had it showing 0-5V on the old one. I'm checking to see how accurate it is since it has to do 5V -> 3.3V conversion getting to the Pi. Also the refresh rate is important so it doesn't lag too much.

If this works I plan on using it to show what people gauges for + ODB2 data if I can access that easily. Also playing mp3s. Once I have the hw working I'll work on getting it mounted in a modified console bracket replacing the radio.
Sounds badass dude.

Originally Posted by regorih
I would place the led strip in the steering wheel
That'd be pretty awesome, and an ideal location. I have used the Porsche FANATEC raceing wheel which has a LED light strip in it. It is a LOT more simple than the one in video above but, simple will work for me...just as long as it is not bulky or well hidden.

Get notified of new replies

To Sequential shift light. Whos got the skills???

Old 04-27-2016, 04:12 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

BMW has a steering wheel like that that is pretty neat

Smoove (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Uhhtaken
Instructor

Location: Jacksonville,nc and Williamsburg,va North Carolina and virginia
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish i had the capability of making one but ill still tag along in here to see the progress and see what the rough cost would be to make one. Im in the same boat at smoove though i dont really need or want the digital readout.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I saw these kits were available, just need to be assembled.. though I'm guessing you're looking for something smaller/simpler?

https://www.chippernut.com/store/p16...d%29_v2.4.html

I can build them/program these if a few guys want them and aren't interested/able to do the assembly?

I'm going to mess with it some in a second and see about coming up with something simpler that will just be an Arduino mini board and those LED strips

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-27-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Sequential shift light. Whos got the skills???