C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Loss of Fuel Pressure

Had my Procharged C5 out for some exercise this morning. Everything was fine until I arrived back home, when the car stalled. On attempting a restart. two things were obvious: the fuel gauge had gone to zero (prior to this it was at 3/4 tank) and my fuel pressure was down to 20 psi. The fuel delivery system was installed by my (now defunct) tuner in 2010, and I stupidly don't know what it consists of. After three or four restart attempts, the fuel gauge recovered the correct reading, but fuel pressure remained at 20 psi. Any theories? Where should I start?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

It could be:
1. a weak or basically dead fuel pump
2. Fuel line inside the fuel tank split open and is leaking inside the tank.

Roger
Old 04-28-2016, 04:41 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

^ I agree or you could have another problem such as a bad fuel pressure regulator. What year is your car? Any idea on the fuel system you have?

For most of us the pressure regulator is built into the fuel filter assembly on the outside of the drivers side fuel tank close to rear wheel area. I would start there. Get a quality replacement AC delco or Wix... do not get the cheap kind.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:07 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
^ I agree or you could have another problem such as a bad fuel pressure regulator. What year is your car? Any idea on the fuel system you have?

For most of us the pressure regulator is built into the fuel filter assembly on the outside of the drivers side fuel tank close to rear wheel area. I would start there. Get a quality replacement AC delco or Wix... do not get the cheap kind.
The car is a 1998 with the return type fuel system. The lines were upgraded to -8 size when the supercharger was installed ( an F1C on a 427). As far as I know the fuel filter was never replaced, so that's an inexpensive first step.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

check the fuse on the pumps worth a try...
Old 04-29-2016, 11:56 AM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Another theory was advanced by the tech at my local LS performance shop; low battery voltage. This fits with another issue that I had noted. Since I drive the 'Vette only a couple of times a month, I keep the battery on a trickle charger. When I do start it, it shows full charge. After a drive (even without lights or other heavy electrical demands), when I return and put the charger back on, the battery is down again, in spite of the voltmeter showing alternator output of 13+ volts. Short or bad ground or ?
Old 04-30-2016, 02:52 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by marco383
Another theory was advanced by the tech at my local LS performance shop; low battery voltage. This fits with another issue that I had noted. Since I drive the 'Vette only a couple of times a month, I keep the battery on a trickle charger. When I do start it, it shows full charge. After a drive (even without lights or other heavy electrical demands), when I return and put the charger back on, the battery is down again, in spite of the voltmeter showing alternator output of 13+ volts. Short or bad ground or ?

My 03 Z does the same thing. Takes about 2 hours to show full charge. I don't beleive thats your issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Loss of Fuel Pressure

Quick Reply: Loss of Fuel Pressure