C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forced Induction??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:05 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Induction??

I'm about to put money into my 1999 Corvette with the LS1 engine. I have installed the K&N ram cold air intake, put in NGK iridium plugs with MSD ignition wires and lightened up the exhaust by putting the titanium mufflers and over the axle pipes from a 2003 Z06. Not much but I'm going to some form of forced induction and need opinions.

First I'm starting with $6000. I've been looking at the ECS SC1500 supercharger system at $5150. I'm looking for opinions in my price range that would be best in my situation and configuration. My big thing is that I have a stock automatic transmission. I know I'm going to add long tube headers after I decide on the forced induction system. I want the most horsepower that I can get while maintaining a quiet, daily driver Corvette at a reasonable price. I would like to have a Corvette that can run with the majority of other higher horsepower stock factory cars. I'm new to forced induction. Should I supercharge or turbo? What brands are better? The ECS system claims many Corvette records according to the advertising and that's why I'm kind of leaning toward this system. Any information is very much appreciated. Reliability, maintenance, horsepower gains? Any information. My black Corvette has a little under 90,000 miles and is in pristine condition inside and out with every option and several aesthetic upgrades and a $3500 sound system/dvd/navigation/back up camera, etc. It's a nice Corvette and I would like to add torque and horsepower. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

A turbo system is going to cost you considerably more and probably cannot be done for your mentioned 6k budget. There is a guy selling a new TTix kit in the parts section and he wants $7500 for it. I am pretty sure that is below normal retail too.

As far as the centrifugal blowers go I don't know if there is really any difference between A&A or ECS. There very well could be differences in the kits but they both use the same supercharger head units. I recently bought a used kit that has some A&A parts in and then I ended up buying several other parts from ECS. My transaction went smooth with ECS and I had no problems. I have never dealt with A&A but I have never heard anything negative either.

Anyway, both are quality kits and will make probably the same power. Its just like headers and which one is best. One brand might more power on car X and then it makes less power on car Y with the difference really being minimal.

Just buy quality parts that work together
Old 05-11-2016, 09:12 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I think you are on the right track. ECS or A&A are great kits and will make reliable power and shouldn't be too tough on your stock motor and drivetrain. That being said...you have 90k miles on your vette....so start throwing some $$$ back so when the time comes to rebuild your motor or deal with other issues you will have the loot set aside for that. When doing an s/c setup...don't forget to consider fuel system, alky/meth, exhaust (you did mention headers), induction (you mentioned) and a good tune. All these work in concert w the s/c kit to make safe reliable power.
The following users liked this post:
ArmyVette24 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

a&a has much higher quality parts of the two mentioned, I have owned and seen them both in hand... their customer service is also leaps and bounds better... as long as my car is supercharged they are the guys I will go to, the other company doesn't deserve any more of my money
The following 2 users liked this post by neutron82:
ArmyVette24 (05-13-2016), ls1wolf (05-19-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:16 AM
corvettekeys
Intermediate

Buy a Procharger
4-6psi
longtubes
Tune tune tune
450-500HP
never stop smiling!!!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I like procharger headunits and have one myself but there are better brackets on the market than what they offer
Old 05-12-2016, 11:54 AM
derekd7987
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I have not dealt with ECS but I have an A&A kit going on my car as we speak. A&A really does have great customer service. I have called and talked to Josh several times and he has been super helpful and nice every time...no matter if I'm buying parts, sending stuff back to upgrade, just asking stupid questions, lol etc. So I can't speak for ECS but if you go with A&A hopefully this helps.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:17 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettekeys
Buy a Procharger
4-6psi
longtubes
Tune tune tune
450-500HP
never stop smiling!!!
This ^^^ Install it yourself and save for a transmission upgrade.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 AM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Default Thanks!!

I will look into the A&A systems and to a lessor extent a procharger. What is the key difference with a procharger since we are talking about them. What makes the installation of a supercharger so difficult? Are superchargers really noisy and what kind of horsepower gains can be expected on a LS1? The ECS system claims 200hp gains but I'm not sure if that's on the LS1 platform. The ECS SC1500 system claims every supercharged Corvette record according to them and I found the system several hundred dollars less on a performance website (TPS Motorsports) than the ECS website at $5150 shipped. TPS will also tune your ECM free but I would want a custom tune especially after I add the other performance parts. One more question. I've looked at all sorts of pictures of the ECS system. The answer seems obvious but where exactly does the system hook into the intake to create boost? The installed photos fail to show where the output installs? I appreciate all of the replies, it's why I love this place and I've received key information to solve several problems myself from here. This is the most expensive performance enhancement investment that I will make so I want to ensure I get the most information possible from people here that actually know. Thanks everyone.

I have looked at both systems. The A&A claims 175hp gain. The ECS claims 200hp gain. I do wonder what is the difference between the ECS head units. There is the 1500SL, 2200R and 2200SL. The 2200 series is $700 more expensive. There are a ton of parts so I don't see myself installing this expensive hardware that probably needs to be perfectly aligned among other things. Has anyone dealt with TPS Motorsports and utilized their custom PCM tuning service for an additional $400? I wonder what a professional shop generally charges for tuning. I don't think a general standard PCM tune would be best for different engine set ups or different engines in general. I think each Corvette and each engine would require different tweaks to optimize performance. Have any of you used a professional to install and tune your supercharger set up and generally how much should be paid for these services? I like both ECS and A&A. I'm leaning ECS and I'm about to call about each system to see what each manufacturer says and then what an independent seller of both systems has to say with TPS Motorsports and of course what I'm learning from people on here. I'm figuring to top 600hp with the supercharger and long tube headers alone. All other external mods (throttle body, MAF sensor, etc) are just sprinkles on top. I think the value of the Corvette will go higher than the costs of the upgrades. I don't plan to ever sell it. I love this Corvette much more than the 50th Anniversary Z06 that I wrecked. My insurance paid it off and paid me more back than I had in the Z06 and they let me keep the wreck. I bought my current C5 with the exact parameters I was looking for (black, like new condition, under 85,000 miles, memory package, two roofs, HUD, and recently sold my totaled Z06 with LS6 for $7500. I need to use about $1000 for maintenance to all of my vehicles including the air conditioning on my Corvette. I think I have a leak. The Corvette has a new compressor but the AC wasn't real cold when I bought it last summer. I charged it myself and it was cold but over the winter on a warm day it put out warm air on automatic and every manual setting. When I press the AC button, the button light blinks and will not come on. I'm way off topic but that's why I'm holding $1500 - maintenance like was mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a fair amount in my savings but the $6000 is what I intend to pay in this instance. The ECS and A&A systems both cost the same at TPS Motorsports. The systems cost more at their respective web sites....I kept the AC compressor from the LS6 engine just in case. I don't even know if a 2003 compressor from a LS6 will even fit my 1999 LS1 but I can trade it or just sell it if needed but I really think I have a refrigerant leak. I also have a bad oil pressure sending sensor. I have seen it replaced on you tube without removing anything using a wobble extension and pivot but again I'm not going to try it. I'm taking care of these two things before the supercharger install....I have rambled through all of this and if you take the time to read all of this I really, really appreciate it.

Last edited by ArmyVette24; 05-13-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I had my ECS installed by them since 07' in my 04Z. I have their Novi2000 with their large intercooler with meth and AR headers. At 6psi I'm 581 whp and 520wtq. I yet to have a issue, always passes inspection and simply could not be happier. I have never had a issue calling over their either. I still have the original belt on and put 24k miles on it. However AA kit is no slouch either. I do not think either way you will go wrong. When I installed this no other system compared and the ECS system was way ahead of others on future upgrades. Again things change.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:37 PM
corvettekeys
Intermediate

While 600HP is very possible you are getting close the the power level where your OEM parts may or may not have issues. Also your transmission, clutch, stock fuel system, and engine internals are becoming questionable at that level. While 500-550hp seem to be a "reliable" power level for extended periods of time. And from my experience very enjoyable on the street.

ITs all in the tune and the way you drive the car.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvettekeys
While 600HP is very possible you are getting close the the power level where your OEM parts may or may not have issues. Also your transmission, clutch, stock fuel system, and engine internals are becoming questionable at that level. While 500-550hp seem to be a "reliable" power level for extended periods of time. And from my experience very enjoyable on the street.

ITs all in the tune and the way you drive the car.

This is very true. I talked with a ECS engineer last week and he said the system adds 200hp at the rear wheels. The engine will be 600hp and I'm adding headers. The engineer warned not to go over 700hp as an extreme. I'm going to add the ECS SC1500 system, BBK long tube headers, a BBK intake and a BBK throttle body all polished. I don't intend to abuse the engine and drive line too much but I know that I'm pushing the internal parts every single time I bury the accelerator. I absolutely love my Corvette and I'll upgrade components as needed but I have faith in the old LS platform and it's going to be stupid fast next week. Thanks for the heads up - I'll probably throw a rod or two the first time I put the power down....

Two more important questions. The ECS engineer said the system is fairly easy to install yourself if you're a little mechanically inclined. For those that have done their own installs, how true is this?? Second question. Having all of the power that I'm going to have, what are the best in car programmers for changing things up easily with the most options and displays the most information. I would like to change from a comfortable every day driving option with steps all the way up to a competition setting while displaying real time performance information that is well lit and easy to read. I really appreciate all the replies. Each one is taken into consideration as I have chosen to go with the ECS system.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyVette24
This is very true. I talked with a ECS engineer last week and he said the system adds 200hp at the rear wheels. The engine will be 600hp and I'm adding headers. The engineer warned not to go over 700hp as an extreme. I'm going to add the ECS SC1500 system, BBK long tube headers, a BBK intake and a BBK throttle body all polished. I don't intend to abuse the engine and drive line too much but I know that I'm pushing the internal parts every single time I bury the accelerator. I absolutely love my Corvette and I'll upgrade components as needed but I have faith in the old LS platform and it's going to be stupid fast next week. Thanks for the heads up - I'll probably throw a rod or two the first time I put the power down....

Two more important questions. The ECS engineer said the system is fairly easy to install yourself if you're a little mechanically inclined. For those that have done their own installs, how true is this?? Second question. Having all of the power that I'm going to have, what are the best in car programmers for changing things up easily with the most options and displays the most information. I would like to change from a comfortable every day driving option with steps all the way up to a competition setting while displaying real time performance information that is well lit and easy to read. I really appreciate all the replies. Each one is taken into consideration as I have chosen to go with the ECS system.
I'm just going to throw this out there. I have taken apart motors diesel and gas and rebuilt them for many years. I do all the maintenance on my trucks and machinery for my business. I'm pretty good with a wrench. However I had ECS install mine. I just wanted it done and didn't want to deal with any issues I could of had and I wanted it done and tuned at once. I never had belt alignment issues, squeaky belts, check engine lights, problems passing inspections and that alone is worth every penny to me. It isn't rocket science doing it, it's piece of mind.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:20 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

I agree with you Dave. Sometimes I don't trust a place I don't know over myself. I'm an absolute perfectionist. My first MOS in the Army was working on engines from anything to a Humvee to all tracked vehicles including armored personnel carriers and tanks. I think these supercharger system brackets and hardware are made so exact in tolerances that they are truly ready to just bolt on hopefully. Saying that I will bolt on and be several degrees off in alignment. Worst case I try and fail.....At least I can reduce labor costs to a minimum by changing all the composite pulleys, tensioner, fuel injectors, intercooler and mount the head unit. Even doing it all myself I plan to have a professional check the alignment. Too much money involved not to have the alignment checked by a professional. The tune put in the ECM by TPS Motorsports is a good general tune given the information about mods made to my car. TPS also has a twin turbo system that is completely bolt on with most all the piping and turbos on each side hidden inside the front fenders for under $6000 that has my attention. 8psi of boost at only 3600rpm....It is much more technical to me but I'm sure there's more horsepower with twin turbos. I'm probably sticking to the ECS supercharger but twin turbo under $6000 really got my attention. I would be afraid of snagging the piping on something. It looks like the pipes on each side are just a little below the fender line. Any opinions on the twin turbo set up. The piping is guaranteed for life and the turbos for two years. I wish I hadn't even seen the kit. It is very interesting to me but I wonder which is more practical, powerful, reliable and better for everyday driving?
Does anyone use programmers to change engine and driving parameters with forced induction or without? I would like to have a few custom programs to choose from with a screen displaying information such as estimated horsepower, distance times and other information. I want a highway program, performance program and a track program. I haven't purchased a programmer in over 12 years - I know the technology has changed radically since I purchased a Hypertech for my Silverado so many years ago.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Default Ecs

Originally Posted by ArmyVette24
I agree with you Dave. Sometimes I don't trust a place I don't know over myself. I'm an absolute perfectionist. My first MOS in the Army was working on engines from anything to a Humvee to all tracked vehicles including armored personnel carriers and tanks. I think these supercharger system brackets and hardware are made so exact in tolerances that they are truly ready to just bolt on hopefully. Saying that I will bolt on and be several degrees off in alignment. Worst case I try and fail.....At least I can reduce labor costs to a minimum by changing all the composite pulleys, tensioner, fuel injectors, intercooler and mount the head unit. Even doing it all myself I plan to have a professional check the alignment. Too much money involved not to have the alignment checked by a professional. The tune put in the ECM by TPS Motorsports is a good general tune given the information about mods made to my car. TPS also has a twin turbo system that is completely bolt on with most all the piping and turbos on each side hidden inside the front fenders for under $6000 that has my attention. 8psi of boost at only 3600rpm....It is much more technical to me but I'm sure there's more horsepower with twin turbos. I'm probably sticking to the ECS supercharger but twin turbo under $6000 really got my attention. I would be afraid of snagging the piping on something. It looks like the pipes on each side are just a little below the fender line. Any opinions on the twin turbo set up. The piping is guaranteed for life and the turbos for two years. I wish I hadn't even seen the kit. It is very interesting to me but I wonder which is more practical, powerful, reliable and better for everyday driving?
Does anyone use programmers to change engine and driving parameters with forced induction or without? I would like to have a few custom programs to choose from with a screen displaying information such as estimated horsepower, distance times and other information. I want a highway program, performance program and a track program. I haven't purchased a programmer in over 12 years - I know the technology has changed radically since I purchased a Hypertech for my Silverado so many years ago.

After talking with Mike at TPS Motorsports I decided to buy the ECS SC1500 Supercharger. I have read a few posts on here with people extremely satisfied with this system. It is said to be fairly easy to install but after looking over the instructions posted on the ECS website it looks a little more complex on the C5. You must cut off part of the power steering bracket and cut a small piece of the engine cradle on the passenger side. Hopefully it is easier than the instructions make it out to be...I can't wait for that boost. TPS Motorsports price on the system is hard to beat. I looked at many different places and their price was the best. I also got TPS to tune my ECU. I know it's a conservative tune but I'm getting a diablo sport trinity to do some fine tuning and different tunes loaded on the internet. The trinity seems to be a great tuner. Will the trinity load tunes set up for a supercharged engine eliminating the need for TPS to tune my ECU? or does it just add to that tune? It's been a long, long time since I've dealt with a tuner. Never one with the options of the diablo trinity....Thanks everyone

Get notified of new replies

To Forced Induction??

Quick Reply: Forced Induction??