C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:34 AM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trans cooler

I recently purchased a B&M trans cooler without doing much research (bad move). It was advertised as having temp control so I envisioned an internal temp monitor/valve. I planned on mounting it after the factory tranny cooler. When I found it was not temp controlled I searched the many cooler posts on the forum but did not find anything about this particular type cooler.

As I began to look into it, B&M's write up's stated that the temp control is through fluid viscosity. According to B&M, thick (cold) fluid is bypassed around the cooler and as the fluid warms the thinner viscosity fluid then begins to flow through the cooler. I can only guess that the flow is actually controlled by a fixed orifice inside the cooler that can't flow the cold fluid and bypasses it but it can flow the warmer, thinner fluid which then goes through the cooler.

The cooler is B&M Supercooler part # 70260. It's a stacked plate cooler that appears to be well made. My problem is this is a type of cooler I have never seen or read about. Everything I have seen is temperature controlled. Seems like viscosity control would not be as consistent or accurate as temperature control. I would imagine different trans fluids would have a different viscosity at the same temp. This would lead to trans cooling flow start points based on what brand/type fluid you are running. Don't know if this would be enough of a consideration to be important? One positive might be that with only an orifice to control flow there's very little to go wrong.

I'm not sure I like this type temp control so I am asking if anyone here has used this type of cooler, or has knowledge of this type cooler? Good? Bad? any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by BURL; 05-16-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:06 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trans Cooler Help

Up Boy!!

Originally Posted by BURL
I recently purchased a B&M trans cooler without doing much research (bad move). It was advertised as having temp control so I envisioned an internal temp monitor/valve. I planned on mounting it after the factory tranny cooler. When I found it was not temp controlled I searched the many cooler posts on the forum but did not find anything about this particular type cooler.

As I began to look into it, B&M's write up's stated that the temp control is through fluid viscosity. According to B&M, thick (cold) fluid is bypassed around the cooler and as the fluid warms the thinner viscosity fluid then begins to flow through the cooler. I can only guess that the flow is actually controlled by a fixed orifice inside the cooler that can't flow the cold fluid and bypasses it but it can flow the warmer, thinner fluid which then goes through the cooler.

The cooler is B&M Supercooler part # 70260. It's a stacked plate cooler that appears to be well made. My problem is this is a type of cooler I have never seen or read about. Everything I have seen is temperature controlled. Seems like viscosity control would not be as consistent or accurate as temperature control. I would imagine different trans fluids would have a different viscosity at the same temp. This would lead to trans cooling flow start points based on what brand/type fluid you are running. Don't know if this would be enough of a consideration to be important? One positive might be that with only an orifice to control flow there's very little to go wrong.

I'm not sure I like this type temp control so I am asking if anyone here has used this type of cooler, or has knowledge of this type cooler? Good? Bad? any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 12:09 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of people are using this style cooler. I'm using the biggest one I could get (70274) 11"x11"x1.5"
I created a custom mount for it as I didn't want it to be hanging off of the radiator and condenser. I'm running the Yank SS3600 and the cooler is shrouded by my intercooler and it still works great.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:02 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I also ran the BM 70274 but it wasn't enough at my power level especially since I canyon carve and go to the road course. So I went with the TRU-COOL MAX LPD47391. It's huge and keeps temps down even when I'm getting on it. No need for a fan either if you mount it where there's direct airflow.
Also don't worry about the cooler description about it being controlled by viscosity. It's a great design and allows the trans to warm up a bit and also it keeps pressure drop to a minimum. The BM and Tru Cool work the same in that regard. I had zero issues with either brand. With the BM I do recommend a fan if you'll be racing a lot. The Tru Cool is so big I haven't needed a fan for it. Highest temp I've seen has been 156 in stop n go traffic on a warm day.

Last edited by C5Natie; 05-26-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

I run the B&M 70297 with the fan on it. Does a pretty good job of kicking on about 175 degrees. I added a manual switch for fun, or in case the thermostat goes out.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:12 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I like mine, it keeps temps of trans around 190* on hot days, it is mounted under driver headlight with break duct removed to feed air in and fender well cut out with louvre panel to protect it. Temps would hit 275*+ with a few wot runs before.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:06 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I like mine, it keeps temps of trans around 190* on hot days, it is mounted under driver headlight with break duct removed to feed air in and fender well cut out with louvre panel to protect it. Temps would hit 275*+ with a few wot runs before.

190? Holy moley that's hot. Hottest I've gotten mine up to with the new cooler is like 160. Im sure seeing 275 shortened the life of the trans quite a bit.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
190? Holy moley that's hot. Hottest I've gotten mine up to with the new cooler is like 160. Im sure seeing 275 shortened the life of the trans quite a bit.
190 is under a lot of heavy acceleration on hot days, it runs under 170 under normal driving conditions. The 275 was a short time thing, I parked it until I could get it sorted out. I did not see where you are from but Florida asphalt is about as hot as you can get. I have it on the cooler t stat, I will have to check the setting for on and off. I knew the 275 was bad but are you saying 190 is bad? I've heard over 200 is where you don't want it going?

160 sounds pretty cool for a stalled trans being worked hard on a real hot day, heck I bet the air alone that close to the road here could be at 130 to 140, maybe hotter since the road can hit almost 160 and the air going into cooler is only inches away from it.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 06-06-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Btw the occasional 180-200* wont necessarily immediately damage the trans. Its easy to get there especially if doing road course driving. What you dont want is for that to be your normal temps or temps for a prolonged period of time. Keep the fluid fresh and I would change it if i saw temps over 220.
If normal driving is under 170*, thats pretty good but I'd probably look for a bigger cooler knowing temps will rise with spirited driving. Also in Florida its humid so the bigger cooler will help with better heat transfer. Having a converter you can lock will really help too. A lot of your heat comes from the converter and converter clutch slippage. Thats why I ditched the Yank.

I use Redline High Temp ATF

Last edited by C5Natie; 06-06-2016 at 05:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Forcedvert (06-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Trans cooler

Quick Reply: Trans cooler