C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnacharger guys please chime in

Old 05-19-2016, 09:48 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Magnacharger guys please chime in

Hey guys

I just picked up a low mileage Z06 with an intercooled magnacharger , this is my first supercharged vehicle so I have a lot to learn.

I was hoping to start a thread where us magnacharger guys can post up and share basic info such as:

-recommended maintenance
-supporting mods
-any quirks and issues you've dealt with
-power your putting down on the dyno
-tuning info etc....

I am still on the "superchips" tune that originally came with the magnacharger and the car runs very smooth, gets amazing gas mileage and pulls super hard.......... am I wrong to just be happy with what I have and leave it as-is? Or is it necessary for me to have the set up professionally tuned?

I drove the full 8 hour trip back home after purchase and then every day for the past 3-4 days and so far the car is running amazingly well.

The only "quirk" ive noticed is when I find myself to be in the wrong gear , for example im in 5th gear when I should be in 3rd or 4th, or im in 6th gear when I should be in 4th or 5th, and I try to give it a lot of gas to build speed I notice a little bogging or stuttering. Is this a characteristic of the magnachargers? Or is it perhaps a tuning issue?

Anyways just hoping to learn what I can , so please feel free to chime in and share any info and knowledge you have.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Forgot to add a few pics
Attached Images     
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in the same situation as you. Bought an '02Z that the previous owner ( also the original owner) had Lingenfelter installed Magna charger intercooler supercharger package.
This is my first supercharged engine so I am also learning.
It was tuned by Lingenfelter and dyno'ed at 498 rwhp.
The first issue I'm dealing with is the intercooler pump does not appear to be working. I've ordered a new one and and am driving it short distances until I get the new one installed.
If there are any supercharger experts out there, I'm wondering if the intercooler is needed if the supercharger is not providing boost and therefore generating additional heat. The reason I ask this is because I'm not sure how long I have been driving before I noticed that the pump wasn't flowing. No noticeable problems, i.e. overheating, deminished performance, trouble lights.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, thought it maybe helpful to op.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by switchplanner
I'm in the same situation as you. Bought an '02Z that the previous owner ( also the original owner) had Lingenfelter installed Magna charger intercooler supercharger package.
This is my first supercharged engine so I am also learning.
It was tuned by Lingenfelter and dyno'ed at 498 rwhp.
The first issue I'm dealing with is the intercooler pump does not appear to be working. I've ordered a new one and and am driving it short distances until I get the new one installed.
If there are any supercharger experts out there, I'm wondering if the intercooler is needed if the supercharger is not providing boost and therefore generating additional heat. The reason I ask this is because I'm not sure how long I have been driving before I noticed that the pump wasn't flowing. No noticeable problems, i.e. overheating, deminished performance, trouble lights.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, thought it maybe helpful to op.
No, not hijacking at all, hopefully you can find some answers to your problems.

Im no expert but I think if your temps weren't going sky high, and you weren't really pushing the car too hard you should be okay, keep in mind the older magnachargers had no intercoolers at all and they seemed to do well without it.

Hopefully some of the experienced guys can chime in eventually to give you a real answer
The following users liked this post:
switchplanner (05-19-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:10 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

The cutting out could be tuning problem, a vacuum leak, bad spark plugs or plug wires, clogged cats, defective injector a weak fuel pump or something not currently coming to mind. Some of the above possibilities could hurt the motor if not corrected, so it's worth looking into. These things are pretty maintenance free. The rear belt needs to be kept tight because without a spring tensioner, it'll slip if you don't. I had one many moons ago and it made 525whp. Most people made around that. The heat exchangers under the blowers have been known to spring leaks due to electrolysis and fill cylinders with coolant from time to time. It's important to check the PH of the coolant to make sure it's neutral. Acidic or alkaline both cause electrolytic action that will make the heat exchangers sacrificial anodes and eat them up. Methanol helps, but isn't nearly as effective as it is when used with other types of F/I. Once you hit the 500whp mark, you can expect to spend a lot of money per hp to gain any more.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance; 05-20-2016 at 12:11 AM.
1Willy1 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 01:26 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
The cutting out could be tuning problem, a vacuum leak, bad spark plugs or plug wires, clogged cats, defective injector a weak fuel pump or something not currently coming to mind. Some of the above possibilities could hurt the motor if not corrected, so it's worth looking into. These things are pretty maintenance free. The rear belt needs to be kept tight because without a spring tensioner, it'll slip if you don't. I had one many moons ago and it made 525whp. Most people made around that. The heat exchangers under the blowers have been known to spring leaks due to electrolysis and fill cylinders with coolant from time to time. It's important to check the PH of the coolant to make sure it's neutral. Acidic or alkaline both cause electrolytic action that will make the heat exchangers sacrificial anodes and eat them up. Methanol helps, but isn't nearly as effective as it is when used with other types of F/I. Once you hit the 500whp mark, you can expect to spend a lot of money per hp to gain any more.
Thanks for the info man
Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 AM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Forgot to add a few pics
BTW, car looks great!
1Willy1 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

love my maggie, for maintenance just keep the belts in good shape, watch the crank pulley if you did not replace it.

for mods AI, overdrive crank and or drive pulley, cam, springs, 2 bar sd tune, better clutch of modded auto tran. better tires to hook, upgraded diff/diff brace ................................, now I know why my wife hates my car

oh and the quirks :
it eats my rear tires when I'm not looking.
it makes every cop in the city pull me over and go on me.
sends me to the court house for defered adjudication.
goes into my wallet when i'm not looking and buys parts (that is what i tell my wife)
requires me to spend time installing the parts that it bought.
made me install a 2 post lift to help with the parts installs.
etc again I remember why me wife hats my car.

Last edited by M_T_0; 05-20-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Name:  CatchcanDSC_0012 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 921
Size:  404.3 KB

my second build by Joe at Powertech Performance

small blower cam, forged internals, smaller pulley, 2 bar map sensor 10psi

500 rwhp 517 rwtq tuned conservatively...car has more in it as it sits would do even better if I went with meth injection...car now has 135K on it....the blower had a bearing noise about 3 weeks after the build so Joe replaced it and the oil, said never again otherwise it has been great

I run 335/30/18's on the rear to help with traction

....original build was small cam, stock internals 6psi installed by Mike Norris at about 50K miles...

Last edited by pewter99; 05-20-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I highly recommend upgrading to an East Coast Supercharger HD tensioner...the Maggie tensioner is not up to the task imo!

As others suggest, by all means check your plugs, etc, however engine stumbling I would expect if you`re 2-3 gears too high for a given rpm, even stock will stumble under those conditions..

Good luck, RTR
Old 05-21-2016, 01:15 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys

and in terms of the stumbling I haven't been able to replicate the issue since the first day or two of ownership.

Im wondering if it was just one of those bugs that appear after a car has been sitting a while and eventually works its way out

anyways pls keep the info coming

Last edited by 1Willy1; 05-21-2016 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-23-2016, 07:55 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Hey guys

what air intake would work best with an intercooled magnacharger?

Im still on the stock z06 air intake, would I benefit from a vararam or another aftermarket?

I would like to gather a few little "upgrades" before I go in to have my car professionally tuned.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats nice looking car!

Get in touch with Funcool on the forum...he is local to you. He has the same blower for 10 years and will advise you on the best mods to upgrade.
As for the tune, look no further than Champion Motors.

Combine the two suggestions above and you are golden
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95vettski
Congrats nice looking car!

Get in touch with Funcool on the forum...he is local to you. He has the same blower for 10 years and will advise you on the best mods to upgrade.
As for the tune, look no further than Champion Motors.

Combine the two suggestions above and you are golden
Thanks man
Old 05-29-2016, 04:28 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Does anyone know the specifics on how to fit the stock fuel rail covers on with a magnacharger?

theres a few threads talking about it, so I know its possible, but I just haven't seen any details

Would like to learn a little more before I buy a set

thanks
Old 02-05-2022, 05:11 PM
danmchevy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Z ... im also interested in maintenance and tuning... plug choice , oil etc.

ive only had mine a few months built motor blower cam i was told 550whp 600 tq on 91 i have pics of the build and dyno pulls but not #s very fun car so far im pleased

01 z 88k miles
Old 02-14-2022, 08:27 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Need to hit that engine bay with a pressure washer.
The following 2 users liked this post by ~Josh:
danmchevy (02-15-2022), twin383 (04-25-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:06 AM
danmchevy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Need to hit that engine bay with a pressure washer.
🤣🤣 i live in the mountains and have a gravel/ dirt driveway... but i agree vet needs a bath.. also i bought a driver not a show car 😏😁

Get notified of new replies

To Magnacharger guys please chime in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnacharger guys please chime in