C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small thing caused big scare today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Small thing caused big scare today!

After I took out a motor and transmission, any sudden unusual noises are a bit unsettling I was driving to get morning coffee and my motor started to get a (louder than normal) mechanical sound, but not just like an exhaust leak, it sounded like something much more menacing

I Looked at all the gauges and everything seemed ok and it was not running bad, the noise was definitely coming from under the hood. I pulled over and popped hood and found this.

I could not believe how much noise and how bad of a mechanical sound it made with this air pump hose loose. Reconnected it and suddenly it was back to normal.

Yes.... I know my motor needs cleaning, I've been too busy driving it in my spare time
Old 05-21-2016, 04:26 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

looks like a good time to remove the air system
Old 05-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neutron82
looks like a good time to remove the air system
Will the tune need to be tweaked with that? I will be adding meth at some point so that may be the time to do both?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

just some codes that need to be removed but it won't affect how the car runs... you could remove it and deal with the cel until you get retuned for meth... a big plus is that it cleans up the engine bay and makes plug changes much easier
Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neutron82
just some codes that need to be removed but it won't affect how the car runs... you could remove it and deal with the cel until you get retuned for meth... a big plus is that it cleans up the engine bay and makes plug changes much easier
Well it came apart further down? I guess one of the check valves may be going bad so I will probably be looking for blank covers to plug headers and pull it out. Is there a local source for that stuff?

So it will not effect tune but will throw a code? Where is it going to sense error? And will it effect afr readings on wideband? Do I find and pull fuse for pump?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:20 AM
C52K3
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you search the web you'll find block of plates for 01/02 Camaro/firebird for about 20 that will work but I just decided to make my own with the parts taken off. If you have no plans on keeping the air line just cut the flange off where it bolts to the header. I took it to my friend and had him weld up the holes and sanded it down.
The following users liked this post:
Forcedvert (05-29-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 09:51 AM
KOOKS Headers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can disconnect the tubes and equipment, but we always recommend actually removing the tubes on the headers. If you just block them off you are setting yourself up for failure. If the tubes are just blocked off all of the hot exhaust gas will just build up in the tubes and typically cause failure. We see this quite often. If you are removing the equipment just have someone actually remove the tubes and weld plates on the headers.
The following users liked this post:
Forcedvert (06-01-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Small thing caused big scare today!

Quick Reply: Small thing caused big scare today!