C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cars with 90,XXX+ miles adding a Supercharger...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Cars with 90,XXX+ miles adding a Supercharger...what to do?

So I just got done reading a post that a person put up where he is adding an ECS Supercharger to his pristine C5 that has close to 90,000 on it. Mine has 93,000. I was looking for input as to what would you do if you wanted to add a supercharger to get more power. What is smart, logical and makes sense to invest in and what is just overkill and won't really make a difference if your motor lives or dies.

Car Specs: 2002 MN6 (six speed) LS1, 93,124 miles, LG 1 3/4 headers with high flow cats and Corsa Exhaust.

Upgrades wanted: A&A V3si kit at around 4-6 PSI for about 500-550rwhp. New Clutch, New Slave Cylinder

To do or not to do:
Compression and leak down test first? Valve Float Test?
New Springs (not sure what is recommended), New Rockers?, New Pushrods?
Alky Kit?

Iam just wanting more power but I don't want the car to blow up in the first 3 months of driving. I don't drive it over aggressively and beat the snot out of it, but I do like to enjoy it. Iam looking at about $9,000 to do everything and to me to do all that with no warranty and knowing it may blow up...I dunno, trying my best to cover my bases so that doesn't happen. I guess Iam overthinking it possibly.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 05-26-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:28 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

This is what you'll need at a minimum.
Go past the compression, leak down, and valve float test.

Get some double coil valve springs, 340 fuel pump, 60lb. injectors, stock rockers and push rods work but harden push rods would help and you could rebuild the stock rockers with the comp cam trunion upgrade. Also, get a meth kit for safety. At then end of the day you can make the combo live long with adequate fueling and that the tuner does not get crazy with the tune.

Thanks,
Roger

Last edited by regorih; 05-26-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:11 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I've been running a little over 500rwhp close to 3 years with the setup your doing, I did the springs, push rods and trunion updates, injectors, straight meth and most importantly a good tune.

Still running the stock clutch and drivetrain....
I do the occasionally track day as well the 1/4 several times a year...
Getting on it, but not beating it if that makes sense....
Figured I replace driveline parts as necessary when the fail...
Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih
This is what you'll need at a minimum.
Go past the compression, leak down, and valve float test.

Get some double coil valve springs, 340 fuel pump, 60lb. injectors, stock rockers and push rods work but harden push rods would help and you could rebuild the stock rockers with the comp cam trunion upgrade. Also, get a meth kit for safety. At then end of the day you can make the combo live long with adequate fueling and that the tuner does not get crazy with the tune.

Thanks,
Roger

I think this is spot on but you can probably get away with an ECS or A&A external stage 1 fuel pump and make the fuel system upgrade cheaper/easier. Honestly not even sure if you need fuel pump upgrade if you include a meth kit at just 500whp?

be sure to get a good wideband. you can always just get the wideband o2 sensor and dashlogic and run/view everything that way and save money.

I don't think the mileage on the car matters at all personally as long as its in good shape and has fresh valve springs.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:23 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't run 4-6 psi. Won't even be worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cars with 90,XXX+ miles adding a Supercharger...what to do?

Quick Reply: Cars with 90,XXX+ miles adding a Supercharger...what to do?